D&D General Thaco the angry clown... really?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every time I have to double-check an OSR creator to make sure they're not a garbage person, when they are garbage 90% of the time they show up in an interview or article on Pundit's site.

But yeah, considering the sheer amount of venom he pours into his articles, I have no problem with him being mocked...but I don't think Thac0 the Clown = Pundit. There aren't enough references other than a general outline that could apply equally to any number of people. For one thing, Thac0 can probably go for ten minutes without complaining about swine or forges.

And if it's about RPGPundit, he has it coming for him and it's definitely not "punching down". His site (holy crap his site! I accidentally found myself on it a few months back, not knowing what its deal was, and was simultaneously amazed and horrified) is him and a bunch of other bigoted grognards whining about "woke D&D" and "cancel culture mobs", spreading dangerous misinformation, and banning anyone that doesn't align with their beliefs for being a "sockpuppet". Oh, and that douchebag Zak S. is also still allowed on his site.

If Thaco the Clown is talking about the RPGPundit, he deserves everything that's coming to him. Calling him a clown or a gatekeeping, out of touch bigot isn't "punching down" or even really a personal attack. It's more of an observation.

Last edited:

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Don’t get me wrong I am absolutely here for a pedantic discussion on the pronunciation of Thac0 (pronounced here as “thack-emoji big nose”)
I've seen it pronounced a couple of ways. Back in the 80s and early 90s, we always pronounced it
\ˌənˈwēldē \

Since the advent of the Internet, most folks have taken to pronouncing it
\ ˈan-tə-ˌkwā-təd \

Both are correct, IMO. ;)

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
THAC0 was an improvement on the attack matrices you had to look up in the 1e DMG previous to it.

What? NO! Only with the tables (mmm... tables....) could you get the joy of the repeating 20!

That's right- a first level fighter needs a 20 to hit AC 0, and -1, -2, -3, -4, and -5 ... but -6?

That's a 21 for ya!

I'd like to see Thac0 put that in his pipe and smoke it! Some kind of Johnny Come Lately!

Sacrosanct

Legend
Wow. I miss a day and suddenly there is a discussion that THAC0 the Clown is Pundit? Based on....him saying so?

That guy has to make everything about him. He's always done that. Always tried to portray himself as a victim while ironically victim blaming actual victims. He's the type of person who thinks any type of exposure is good exposure, and goes to desperate levels to try to insert himself as a topic of the discussion. Despite his following, he doesn't care one whit about them or those that defend him. That was evidenced as recently as when the whole Venger thing went down last week and how a convention was banning him (or something like that), and that crowd were all "Buy all Venger's stuff! Support him and this attack on cancel culture!", and Pundit chimed in and said, "No, don't buy his stuff, buy mine instead."

The guy is transparent in his motivations.

So no, I don't believe this clown is about him personally unless the creators come out and say it.

But....

Even if it was, who cares? This is a guy who has endorsed and espoused some really awful things. He is the owner of a site that coddles blatant and unapologetic racism, bigotry, and advocacy of violence towards political enemies (that's not hyperbole, posters have enthusiastically made these comments, and there's an entire thread devoted to the topic). His defense is "I don't ban any free speech", which frankly is a cop out to take responsibility (which he has, as the owner of the site). Tacit approval is still approval. If you let in nazis and racists into your house over and over, you don't get to say how you don't support them. No one buys that.

Note: I'm not saying everyone on that site is like that, or shares those views, but there are several, and they get tacit support and encouragement to continue making those comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads