D&D 5E Thanksgiving D&D Speculation thread.

BBQ is so much more about the seasoning and the sauce, than it is about the cooking. And the same for turkey. The right seasonings and sauces when cooked can make it better than chicken or pork or beef.

Bolares

Hero
BBQ is so much more about the seasoning and the sauce, than it is about the cooking. And the same for turkey. The right seasonings and sauces when cooked can make it better than chicken or pork or beef.
Seasoning is very important, but choosing the right cut of meat, at least for me, is the most important factor. I choose my seasoning, height of grill, how much time it will take to cook, all around wich meat I'm using.

Unfortunately, I just picked up 12 cheese sliders. Half my family demands White Castle stuffing, so I can confirm their will be WC slider stuffing at thanksgiving.

Oh, you meant books, well I hope none contain recipes that include fast food items...
Wait, you stuff a turkey with…cheeseburgers?

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Wait, you stuff a turkey with…cheeseburgers?
Well, not stuff the turkey, but make stuffing in a pan to go with the turkey. It is a bit silly, since when im done with my herb and veggie mix, it doesnt taste like White Castle anymore, but they insist.

They also insist on canned cranberry sauce. So, we get that canned gelatin, and the actual cranberry sauce I make.

the Jester

Legend
Chef here!

The turkey's breast is indeed pretty dull; its dry with almost no fat, hence no taste. But you can make it almost edible by cooking it in a vacuum bag with butter, rosemary and pepper in slow boil water, then finish it in the oven to gave it color for a few minutes.

The thighs are the good part. The fatty brown meat can handle roast-type cooking, with high temperature to brown the meat then a slow cooking in a broth for a few hours. With honey, rosemary, thyme, onions, garlic and wild mushrooms, it pretty good.

But, yeah, Americans tend to favor cooking it whole for way too long, making it pretty dry in the fat-less parts, unless it is pre-injected by salted water or more butter until there's more butter than meat in the damn bird.

Or thrown in a vat of boiling oil, in the least careful way possible.

:p
I do frequent basting, including injecting my basting sauce under the skin. I usually end up with a succulent, moist, juicy breast. (I also rub spices and butter on the exterior before all the cooking starts.

Though it varies each time, this year my basting sauce included a Shock Top white ale, honey, butter, apple cider vinegar, fresh squeezed lemon and tangerine juices, salt, hing, and thyme.

Mercurius

Legend
IIRC, WotC is usually pretty quiet going into the Holidays. I reckon we won't hear about the next book until about the time Call of the Netherdeep is coming out in March, for a May release.
I think the days of that formula are done - they announced several books in a flury, some six+ months ahead.

My guess is that sometime shortly after the new year, they announce a book, and then another around Netherdeep/March.

As far as the OP is concerned, my guess is:
  1. Monsters of the Multiverse (announced)
  2. Call of Netherdeep (announced)
  3. Tales of the Yawning Portal 2 (by some name or another, not necessarily only classics, with one adventure having Spelljammer)
  4. Classic Setting box/slipcase: Planescape
  5. Classic Setting box/slipcase: Dark Sun/Dragonlance/FR/Who Knows
If they were going with hardcovers, I'd predict a 6th product that was an adventure to go along with one of the classic settings, but I think the "new format" will involve a complete setting product with multiple smaller volumes, either as a box or slipcase.

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
wait... turkeys in america arre dry tasteless birds?
Only if badly cooked.

My mom's secret--which is not for everyone--is to roast the bird upside down. Then the breast cooks in the juice. But the problem is that it makes the traditional method of stuffing impractical, so a stuffing-loving family would not want to use this method. None of us were ever particular stuffing fans, so my mom would stuff the small cavity instead of the large one.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Only if badly cooked.

My mom's secret--which is not for everyone--is to roast the bird upside down. Then the breast cooks in the juice. But the problem is that it makes the traditional method of stuffing impractical, so a stuffing-loving family would not want to use this method. None of us were ever particular stuffing fans, so my mom would stuff the small cavity instead of the large one.
I turned to making stuffing in a pan instead of in the bird. My favorite part of making thanksgiving dinner is chopping the herbs!

Remove ads