D&D 5E That Eberron Cover Is Just A Placeholder

According to WotC's Jeremy Crawford, Ben Oliver's cover for Eberron: Rising from the Last War on Amazon and WotC's website is an interior illustration serving as a placeholder.

Screenshot 2019-08-19 at 10.28.34.png

Screenshot 2019-08-21 at 00.18.09.png

Crawford added that "That warforged has customized itself in unusual ways. Each warforged can alter how it looks. That said, the book has plenty of traditional-looking warforged." There's more to the art, as you can see in the banner across the top of WotC's webpage. I rather like it.

ECcysWnWwAEu6BS.jpg

Ben Oliver is credited as the cover artist in WotC's product page; his cover art will presumably be revealed soon, as the book is only three months away.

Screenshot 2019-08-21 at 01.48.31.png

Ben Oliver was the artist who illustrated the covers of Tomb of Annihilation and Curse of Strahd.

toa.jpg

Curse_of_Strahd.png

Last edited:

DWChancellor

Kobold Enthusiast
Not fair to who?

I don't think it is fair to consider the Acq. Inc. art to be representative of the 5E art direction. It sits in an odd place as an (originally) 3rd party book including the art direction. I mean, heck, most of the art in it is from Penny Arcade's stable like Krahulik, Straub, and NurseNormal.

In the same way, the core books of 3E aren't really related, art direction-wise, with Eberron which had its own distinct style.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Mockingbird cited the Acq. Inc. book as the only "miss" on WOTC's part in their opinion. To me, I wouldn't consider it a miss since I don't consider it part of the core line. Semantics me.

So, not fair to WotC, the publisher of the book? I’m just trying to figure out who you feel is being treated unfairly in some way.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases