The 10 Player Races in Volo's Guide Revealed

On its Volo's Guide to Monsters product page, Fantasy Grounds has a screenshot up listing the 10 playable races - Aasimar, Bugbear, Firbolg, Goblin, Goliath, Hobgoblin, Kenku, Kobold, Lizardfolk, Orc, Tabaxi, Triton, Yuan-ti Pureblood.

On its Volo's Guide to Monsters product page, Fantasy Grounds has a screenshot up listing the 10 playable races - Aasimar, Bugbear, Firbolg, Goblin, Goliath, Hobgoblin, Kenku, Kobold, Lizardfolk, Orc, Tabaxi, Triton, Yuan-ti Pureblood.

New-Monstrous-Races.jpg

Product Page: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.xcp?id=WOTC5EVGM
Screenshot: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/images/screenshots/Screenshots/WOTC5EVGM/New-Monstrous-Races.jpg

Biggest surprise for me is Kenku. Bugbear is also unexpected.

Screen Shot 2016-11-02 at 23.12.49.png

Screen Shot 2016-11-02 at 23.13.03.png

Screen Shot 2016-11-02 at 23.13.19.png

Screen Shot 2016-11-02 at 23.13.32.png

Screen Shot 2016-11-02 at 23.13.48.png

Save
Save
SaveSave

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
I'm going to go against the grain here and, instead of being either offended or pleased by the ability penalties, I'm going to say that I'm emphatically ambivalent about it.

Why? What's the difference?
Many should Orc wizards be penalized? Especially in a point but game, it severely limited what he done with the race, and adds a needless complication.
Made you going to suggest that it's fine is "secondary" options are less well made?
I disagree.There's no reason to, as somebody's still going to want to play something that breaks the mould, regardless of it it's splat or core. The easiest way to make an interesting character is to have a type, and then play against it. Discouraging playing against type is discouraging what are potentially really interesting characters.
Monstrous races should be encouraged to play the "less civilized" classes. They have to be less diverse and flexible. Otherwise why are they monsters?
But orc barbarian shouldn't be better than other barbarians. Because that's broken. So you have to go the other way.

I also find playing too far off type becomes silly or a lazy way of making the character be special. It's making a pink ninja: you want all the coolness that comes from being a ninja, but you want to stand out.

You can still play that orc wizard, it's just not optimal. It's not like orc warlocks and sorcerers aren't an option. It's not like your kobold fighter can't focus on finesse weapons.

flametitan

Explorer
Yes, Orcs are geared to be the best at being dumb Barbarians/Fighters, and even an exceptional smart Orc Wizard (16 Int is good enough for first level, 14 is fine), still has barbarian-ness baked in: just as the Bugbear has Assassin baked in, the Goblin Rogue, the High Elf has Bladesinger, the Aasamir has Paladin, etc etc...but the Orc is way way better than the normal best Barbarian, theHalf-Orc so needs broader balancing.

As races get more afield, I expect to see more of that: more specialization, but fringe concepts still easily doable.

Actually, playing a full Orc Wizard sounds fun now...

If your race has too much, then you pare down the list until it's more manageable. Done. Your race is now both better balanced and not something that penalizes playing against type.

And the Orc (which incidentally doesn't have those barbarian features anyway) if it did have the Half Orc abilities, would actually be better at being a barbarian than other classes, as the features are mostly tied to being a melee fighter and are added on top of what you normally get for being a melee fighter. Compared to a Mountain dwarf, whose type is also melee warrior, but explicitly has to get an even larger bump to STR than most races do because its abilities are mostly useless for melee types. Or the High Elf, whose extra cantrip is more useful for those with no access to magic than it is for magical types who likely already have lots of cantrips.

And where are you getting that 14 from? That 14 you want to be a competent evocation wizard is physically impossible using 27 point buy (15-2=13), and while not unlikely from rolling is not a guarantee either.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I disagree.There's no reason to, as somebody's still going to want to play something that breaks the mould, regardless of it it's splat or core. The easiest way to make an interesting character is to have a type, and then play against it. Discouraging playing against type is discouraging what are potentially really interesting characters.
Most of the people I know who like to play "against type" characters view playing with mechanical penalties as a badge of honor. The orc having a -2 Int would only make them MORE interested in playing an orc wizard, not less.

That being said, I don't think it's a coincidence the only negative stats are Intelligence and Strength, the two stats that have the least number of builds dependent on them. Barbarians and paladins are the most Str-oriented classes, and they're both viable with Dex-focused builds. And wizards are quite viable even with lower Int with good spell choices. I don't think we're going to see any -Con or -Dex races.

And let's be honest, it's not like they threw those adjustments in just before the printing deadline. It's also an experiment to see how stretching the design guidelines will be received in the community.

gyor

Legend
The penalties are a bad idea, but they have alot less impact and are less of a problem in 5e thanks to bounded accuracy and a few other things.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Can someone post a summary of the Bugbear, or link to somewhere I can find it?

EDIT: Nevermind I think I found it.

BUGBEAR TRAITS
Your bugbear character has the following racial traits.
Ability Score Increase. Your Strength score increases by 2 and your Dexterity score increases by 1.
Age. Bugbears reach adulthood at age 16 and live up to 80 years.
Alignment. Bugbears endure a harsh existence that demands each of them to remain self-sufficient, even at the expense of their fellows. They tend to be chaotic evil.
Size. Bugbears are between 6 and 8 feet tall and weigh between 250 and 350 pounds. Your size is Medium.
Speed. Your base walking speed is 30 feet.
Darkvision. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can't discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.
Long-Limbed. When you make a melee attack on your turn, your reach for it is 5 feet greater than normal.
Powerful Build. You count as one size larger when determining your carrying capacity and the weight you can push, drag, or lift.
Sneaky. You are proficient in the Stealth skill.
Surprise Attack. If you surprise a creature and hit it with an attack on your first turn in combat, the attack deals an extra 2d6 damage to it. You can use this trait only once per combat.
Languages. You can speak, read, and write Common and Goblin.

Last edited by a moderator:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
If your race has too much, then you pare down the list until it's more manageable. Done. Your race is now both better balanced and not something that penalizes playing against type.

And the Orc (which incidentally doesn't have those barbarian features anyway) if it did have the Half Orc abilities, would actually be better at being a barbarian than other classes, as the features are mostly tied to being a melee fighter and are added on top of what you normally get for being a melee fighter. Compared to a Mountain dwarf, whose type is also melee warrior, but explicitly has to get an even larger bump to STR than most races do because its abilities are mostly useless for melee types. Or the High Elf, whose extra cantrip is more useful for those with no access to magic than it is for magical types who likely already have lots of cantrips.

And where are you getting that 14 from? That 14 you want to be a competent evocation wizard is physically impossible using 27 point buy (15-2=13), and while not unlikely from rolling is not a guarantee either.

Point-buy is an optional rule, like multi-classing or feats, that I happily ignore the existence of; I would not consider playing in a point-buy game, nor allow it at my table, and it doesn't seem to really enter into balance considerations on WotC end. So, roll a 16 or better, perfectly acceptable Orc Wizard. I actually think an Abjurer would be fun...

Cutting features is one way to go, probably best for core races; bit, as you go further afield, that gets bland if followed overly closely. Personally, I'm a bit disappointed ed they didn't take this opportunity to try Large race rules out, which would certainly necessitate some drawback of other.

flametitan

Explorer
And let's be honest, it's not like they threw those adjustments in just before the printing deadline. It's also an experiment to see how stretching the design guidelines will be received in the community.

It might not harm the finnesse users, but it does have an impact on somebody who wants to use heavy armour, or heavy use of spells that require saves or attacks (like most offensive spells).

If it's an experiment it should have been in an Unearthed Arcana article, not a published product.

I also find playing too far off type becomes silly or a lazy way of making the character be special. It's making a pink ninja: you want all the coolness that comes from being a ninja, but you want to stand out.

You can still play that orc wizard, it's just not optimal. It's not like orc warlocks and sorcerers aren't an option. It's not like your kobold fighter can't focus on finesse weapons.

You can also have silly or lazy characters that do play to type, however. Neither of them specifically are bad, so why should one be discouraged over the other?

And it's not the viability I'm concerned about, (that much. It does admittedly bother me how many points you have to invest for a mere +1 in a point buy system). It's the perception. Inexperienced players aren't going to look at an orc and say "it won't be optimal, but it can work," they're going to look at it and say "Ew, it makes a terrible wizard. Pass." I'm arguing that players shouldn't need system familiarity to play against type. It should be an option right out of the box.

Point-buy is an optional rule, like multi-classing or feats, that I happily ignore the existence of; I would not consider playing in a point-buy game, nor allow it at my table, and it doesn't seem to really enter into balance considerations on WotC end. So, roll a 16 or better, perfectly acceptable Orc Wizard. I actually think an Abjurer would be fun...

1) it's as optional as feats or multiclassing, and you see people talk about them like they were the default.

2) It's the default for AL, which while wotc doesn't design for, is an important consideration.

3) As soon as you leave ENworld, you start to see a lot more communities that either disparage or outright ban rolling for stats. If anything the more popular belief is that wotc balanced the game for point buy/fixed stats, and rolling was merely kept for tradition.

In the end, no. Point Buy is an important factor into the way the game works, and should be accounted for when designing races/classes.

Cutting features is one way to go, probably best for core races; bit, as you go further afield, that gets bland if followed overly closely. Personally, I'm a bit disappointed ed they didn't take this opportunity to try Large race rules out, which would certainly necessitate some drawback of other.

I never advocated for never making new features. just keep them reasonable. I've never seen this "add level to damage" before as a feature, and I like it. There's no reason new features entirely can't be explored before "add piles and piles of features, but then add all these drawbacks that probably don't matter anyway" should be accounted for.

Last edited by a moderator:

gyor

Legend
Bugbears get Darkvision, Surprise Attack (2D6 bonus damage once per combat when attacking when you surprise an enemy), sneaky (stealth prof), Long Limbed (+5' reach), Powerful Build. Basically big assassins. +2 Strength and +1 Dex. Makes good Assassins, Shadow Monks, and Unusually stealthy Paladins, Barbarians, and Fighters. Probably amoung the most versitile races, along with Aasimar, except that they're not getting the most out of them if you focus on range attacks.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Bugbears get Darkvision, Surprise Attack (2D6 bonus damage once per combat when attacking when you surprise an enemy), sneaky (stealth prof), Long Limbed (+5' reach), Powerful Build. Basically big assassins. +2 Strength and +1 Dex. Makes good Assassins, Shadow Monks, and Unusually stealthy Paladins, Barbarians, and Fighters. Probably amoung the most versitile races, along with Aasimar, except that they're not getting the most out of them if you focus on range attacks.

We've had a bugbear ranger since the playtest and wanted to see if he would like to switch from the bugbear we made up (roughly based on the MM) or this one.

Remove ads

Remove ads