The 15 Best D&D Modules Of All Time

The definitive list. Over 120 adventures were nominated, and over 500 votes cast to determine your Top 15 Best D&D Modules Of All Time. From BECMI, AD&D 1E, AD&D 2E, D&D 3E/3.5, and D&D 4E, we present the definitive list of the best official Dungeons & Dragons adventures as chosen by YOU. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hotvELUWu8&feature=youtu.be

The definitive list. Over 120 adventures were nominated, and over 500 votes cast to determine your Top 15 Best D&D Modules Of All Time. From BECMI, AD&D 1E, AD&D 2E, D&D 3E/3.5, and D&D 4E, we present the definitive list of the best official Dungeons & Dragons adventures as chosen by YOU.

[video=youtube;0hotvELUWu8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hotvELUWu8&feature=youtu.be[/video]

NewJeffCT

First Post
Loved Ravenloft when I ran it many years ago in college, so I can see it as #1. It did do a great job of setting atmosphere compared to previous published modules.

Was this list limited to just official TSR/WotC material? I would have expected to have seen at least one Paizo Adventure Path on the list (Rise of the Runelords or Kingmaker?) otherwise, and maybe a few other non official adventures (I remember Freeport being very popular in early 3E days, but that was a long time ago now...)

Ed_Laprade

Adventurer
Ravenloft? I don't even consider that D&D! But then, I didn't vote, so I'll shut up about it now. :p Some interesting choices and omissions, but I expect everyone will say that. And, as others have said, the presentation was just terrible! You need to slow the next one down a lot! I wonder what it would have looked like if compilations weren't included?

Argyle King

Legend
I didn't hate 4E and ran a 2 year long campaign using 4E rules. However, I don't recall many official 4E adventures out there - maybe if it had lasted longer, we'd have gotten more adventures for it?

There were plenty of 4E adventures. However, none of them were particularly strong. There are a few that I felt were really good, but -off the top of my head- I cannot think of any that were good enough for me to remember them now that I'm trying to think back on them. I vaguely remember doing one in which there was a crazed wizard stuck inside of a pyramid or something to that effect.

For me, what I found was that many D&D adventures had excellent pieces; ideas I borrowed. However; somehow, even with those excellent pieces, the overall combined adventures were not particularly strong. The individual scenes were rather good, but the implementation of those pieces wasn't always above average. (my opinion)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm glad to see Red Hand of Doom on the list. It's always been one of my favorites. I was very very surprised to see Ravenloft at #1. I know it's a popular module, and there are things I like about it too... but number 1?

When was this poll done? I never saw it, just the 3x one.

Yeah, I completely missed this poll, though I did vote in the 3.X one.

I agree with the selections, though I could quibble about my personal favorite order.

As to 4E ... not many adventures and very few strong ones, except perhaps the Ennie-nominated and released-first-on EN World Raiders of Oakhurst ;).

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Was this list limited to just official TSR/WotC material? I would have expected to have seen at least one Paizo Adventure Path on the list (Rise of the Runelords or Kingmaker?)

There is a Paizo Adventure Path on the list. Whispering Cairn by Erik Mona is the first adventure in Age of Worms, and that's there at #11. And a couple of third party adventures got in in the 16-20 range (above). They had to be D&D, though. We'll likely to a Pathfinder specific one at some point.

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Was this list limited to just official TSR/WotC material? I would have expected to have seen at least one Paizo Adventure Path on the list (Rise of the Runelords or Kingmaker?) otherwise, and maybe a few other non official adventures (I remember Freeport being very popular in early 3E days, but that was a long time ago now...)

Banewarrens (#18) is from Malhavoc, and Caverns of Thracia (#24) is from Judges Guild.

broghammerj

Explorer
Wow, the Banewarrens ranked that high???? We thought it was so bad we burned our character sheets from the adventure about 2/3rds of the way through it. Started the grill in the middle of the night after an incredibly frustrating session. It was 10 degrees F outside in the middle of winter. That's how important it was to destroy them. I was surprised the slaver series didn't get more love. Expedition to barrier peaks.....so unique and fun.

NewJeffCT

First Post
There is a Paizo Adventure Path on the list. Whispering Cairn by Erik Mona is the first adventure in Age of Worms, and that's there at #11. And a couple of third party adventures got in in the 16-20 range (above). They had to be D&D, though. We'll likely to a Pathfinder specific one at some point.

Thanks - didn't look that closely, as my quick look said Whispering Cairn was set in Greyhawk, so I assumed it was WotC.

Remove ads

Remove ads