The 3D Model of the Table Top Role Playing Experience.

atanakar

Hero
From were I'm sitting, after reading countless forums threads over the years, I see three axis that form the role playing experience.

The A-B axis (story) which opposes the traditional adventure VS sandboxing.

The M-N axis (gm style) that opposes improvisation VS director.

The Y-Z axis (player type) which opposes the spectator players VS co-creator players.

Each RPG group is located at a different coordinate inside this 3D model. The location is determined by the social contract passed between the participants at the beginning of the campaign.

The beauty of it, is that a DM might have different approaches with several groups - inducing a different coordinate in the model. The same thing applies to players. In one group a player may want to be a spectator-player and in the other part of the co-creators.

There is also a fourth dimension, which may or may not influence how you play and perceive RPGs. I call it the «social media twilight zone». In this dimension we meet the Old School Gate Keepers and the Narrativist Proselytes who duke it constantly. Each claiming their way is the best way.

Anyone who been around long enough knows that a bad gaming experience can and WILL happen regardless of which system you play. I’ve seen horrible things happen in both types games. Why? Because a RPG session is a human experience first and foremost.

There are myriads of possible coordinates in the RPG universe. Find what suits you in the «now», and have fun. Your tastes may vary with time or with different groups. If you are not having fun, try something else. No gaming is better than bad gaming.

____
Maybe this is not new, maybe someone already wrote an article about this. I don't know. All I know is that no model last more than 5 minutes. :D

Hope it helps a few people to put some perpective, zoom out of the intense discussions, to take a breather and look at things from afar.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
Interesting as a classification system, if not an actual theory. I'm curious though -- which bits are the negative coordinates? :D

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
We could quibble, a lot, about axis choices. I'm not sure that's your intent here, though, so I'll hold on that.

Aldarc

Legend
IMHO, the OSR and “Narrative games” are (in part) two independent, though occasionally interlinked, responses to trends in linear adventure design in mainstream gaming. Though they are opposed in how they diagnose and respond to the problem, both tend to focus on play priorities like “emerging story” and “play to see what happens.”

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
We could quibble, a lot, about axis choices. I'm not sure that's your intent here, though, so I'll hold on that.

I'm curious about your quibbles on the axes, if you ever think that fits in.

atanakar

Hero
Interesting as a classification system, if not an actual theory. I'm curious though -- which bits are the negative coordinates? :D

None. The central coordinate is 0%,0%,0%. The axis are graded 100% to 100% in each direction. They help define what kind of GM or Player you are in each game you participate in. :p

pogre

Legend
Man, I expected pictures of amazing terrain and miniatures - you know "the 3d TTRPG experience!"

Here I will add one:
yawningportal_01.jpeg

So as not to be a complete thread-crapper - there are probably a lot of ways to quantify the TTRPG experience. However, a model like yours could serve as a way to reflect on your own gaming style/preferences and even use it to match with like-minded players. I would say I'm closer to the director end of the M-N axis, traditional adventure on the A-B axis, and yet, towards the OldSchool Gatekeepers on the last axis.

atanakar

Hero
So as not to be a complete thread-crapper - there are probably a lot of ways to quantify the TTRPG experience. However, a model like yours could serve as a way to reflect on your own gaming style/preferences and even use it to match with like-minded players. I would say I'm closer to the director end of the M-N axis, traditional adventure on the A-B axis, and yet, towards the OldSchool Gatekeepers on the last axis.

Someone who gets it! ;)

hawkeyefan

Legend
It's an interesting way to put it, and although as @Umbran mentioned we could probably quibble about the labels used, I think it's a pretty solid foundation.

I think that, for me, it depends on the game I'm playing or running. So for something like Blades in the Dark, I'm very much B-M-Z because the game almost requires that. With D&D, I still lean in those directions, but not as greatly toward B and M, but still as much as possible for Z.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
None. The central coordinate is 0%,0%,0%. The axis are graded 100% to 100% in each direction. They help define what kind of GM or Player you are in each game you participate in. :p

That is not generally how axes work, but okay.

Remove ads