• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E The 4e rogue: Good power names!!

ZombieRoboNinja

First Post
Chris_Nightwing said:
I don't know.. there seems to be an over use of 'strike'. It's the new cool.

I'm thinking it's intentional, like all the paladin powers including the word "smite." Kind of a helpful shorthand - if you read "Blablabla Strike" you know you're looking at a rogue offensive power.

Khuxan

First Post
ZombieRoboNinja said:
I'm thinking it's intentional, like all the paladin powers including the word "smite." Kind of a helpful shorthand - if you read "Blablabla Strike" you know you're looking at a rogue offensive power.

I was hoping each category (at will, encounter, daily) for each class would have a different name, e.g. aura, smite, benediction for the paladin. However, that's clearly not the case.

Deep Blue 9000

First Post
I actually think they didn't go far enough in simplifying the names. Tortuous strike or Deft Strike still sound clumsy artificial compared to Lunge or Gouge.

nick012000

First Post
Eh. I like them.

They don't have the sort of flavor that names like Heavenly Guardian Defense or Seven Shadows Evasion do, though. Both of which are from Exalted, by the way.

Cadfan

First Post
I'm cool with basically anything.

The real problem that no one on this forum really wants to deal with is this- can YOU come up with ~500 names for melee attacks? I know, there probably aren't 500 in the PHB, but there will be expansion books, and there are a lot of characters that use physical attacks in melee. And if you use up "Lunge" then eventually you're going to be stuck with abilities named "Brutal Lunge" and "Dire Lunge" and on and on, because there's more than one thing that can happen during or after a lunging attack. And in the end you'll be stuck with big fancy names anyways, because you used up all your single word names halfway through the first book.

Better to just pick multi word names up front.

Jack99

Adventurer
Deep Blue 9000 said:
I actually think they didn't go far enough in simplifying the names. Tortuous strike or Deft Strike still sound clumsy artificial compared to Lunge or Gouge.

If they had named it gouge, there would have been an outcry, concerning the WoW-ification of DND - again.

Roman

First Post
Stalker0 said:
What all of the past talk about some of the terrible names we have seen from powers, I had to breathe a sigh of relief when I saw the rogue powers list. Obviously its only a tiny fraction of what will be there, but so far I'm pleased.

I have to agree. Names like 'Golden Wyvern Adept' irritated me, but the new rogue power names are a huge improvement. I hope WotC maintains this direction on naming powers.

lbporter

First Post
I think that the realy out-there names will be reserved for per day powers. Of the rogue powers listed (Deft Strike, Piercing Strike, Tumble, and Crimson Edge) the only one that has a name that does not tell you what it does right off is Crimson Edge, in any verbage more obtuse than 3.x feat names (expertise, power attack, dodge, ect.) that is.

Luke

Remove ads