• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The 5 foot grid

Starfox

Hero
1E actually had this, in that different weapons had different frontage . In a 10 ft. corridor, you could fit 10 spearmen but only one guy with a greatsword. Armies have often preferred smaller, stabbing weapons because they allow you to pack more "sardines" into a small space. That said, DnD is not an army game. Except for special occasions like amalgamating several fighters into "troops" (like swarms, but of humanoids), I'd not recommend as much detail as 1E had here.

A game is run on squares, and those squares can be pretty arbitary. Even in-game measurements like feet are actually arbitary. My homebrew game is metric, and we use DnD adventures with a scale of 1 square = 1 meter without actually changing anything else. Yes, rooms become somewhat smaller, but it really doesn't matter much. By the same token you could do what people before me have suggested and just change your map scale - effectively making the in-game foot shorter. Much easier than actually writing new rules for the game. Again, 1E actually had this, with game scale inches of different length depending on where you were - an inch of game scale was 10 ft. indoors and 10 yards outdoors.

In other words, if you want more squares on your in game maps, just add more squares without thinking too much of what it means in-world.

A fun example of how game scale can change vs real life is the Runequest calendar. The Runequest (Glotantha) year is pretty short - 280 days if I recall. And still character age is measured in years, and some of the experience system in RQ is time-based too. A character in RQ was considered a young adult at 18 and mature at 25. Glorantha is a bronze-age setting, and historically, those ages are way too old - people were generally considered adult around 16 in the past. Well, enter the shorter year, and suddenly age 18 in Glorantha is age 14 in our years, and age 25 is age 20. Another solution was that each Gloranthan day was longer, close to 30 hours, to make ours and their years as long.

Starfox

Hero
Really? I have to say that I don't remember that at all, could you give us a reference please?

* Digs out my old black book

Each weapon had a "space required " on the same table as speed factor and weapon vs. armor type modifiers statistics. It was not well explained - I can't find the rule for it now, but I think it was meant to indicate the frontage a fighter with that weapon needed to fight effectively. It varies from 1' for spears and hand axes to 6' for footman's flail and two handed swords.

Of course, monsters id not have such a value, so it left a lot of room for DM interpretation. It was probably an artifact from ADnD's tabletop roots.

darrell_uk

Explorer
Please don't take this as an accusation, but when I remember a rule but can't find it on a quick look through an old rulebook, especially when it's a system I haven't played in some time, nine times out of ten it turns out to have been a house rule all along.

Let's face it, it's not as if 1E didn't require dozens of them, is it?

Starfox

Hero
Well, the statistic is there in the table. How to use it might have been a house rule, or be buried somewhere in the DMG. Even if it was a house-rule it seems to be what "space required" was all about. It might have been considered obvious. Or not.

I never remember games back then caring much for space, positioning and such, so we rarely actually used this rule.

N'raac

First Post
I recall that D&D rule as well. It did not mean 10 spearmen could walk abreast, it meant you could thrust a spear down a 1' wide opening, but could not slash through it with a broadsword. You needed a certain arc of space to effectively wield any given weapon.

I recall that D&D rule as well. It did not mean 10 spearmen could walk abreast, it meant you could thrust a spear down a 1' wide opening, but could not slash through it with a broadsword. You needed a certain arc of space to effectively wield any given weapon.

DING! This is what 'space required' was all about. With such a small space required you could have 3 swordsmen with shields abreast in a 10' corridor backed by 3 men with long spears who could also attack due to reach and the small space required.

A smaller grid wouldn't fix anything. A broadsword by itself is 3 feet in length, never mind the arm wielding it. Forget about range measurements. Pretty much everything will be able to reach the length of the board unless you have some serious acreage for table space. For AD&D if using minis I like the battle mat with the 1.5" squares. At 10' per square they are big enough to fit 3 minis.

WhatGravitas

Explorer
More accurately, I prefer the scale of "1 inch = 1 yard."
Big fan of it as well! I like it, too, because it maps a bit better to real structures, matches well with miniature sculptors' tendency to oversize "hero models" a bit and it also maps nicely to metric by handwaving 1 yard = 1 metre (yeah, it's 0.9m, but it's close enough).

As I grew up in a metric country and the UK is semi-metric, using yards is a nice compromise that keeps everybody happy.

Starfox

Hero
As I grew up in a metric country and the UK is semi-metric, using yards is a nice compromise that keeps everybody happy.

Metrics are taking over the UK - inch by inch.

But yeah, rough translations are just so much easier to deal with, and usually close enough.

10' = 3 meters
1 meter = 3' = 1 yard
2 pints = 1 liter
2 pounds = 1 kilo
1 ton (metric) = 1 ton (imperial)

Sure, it doesn't work out perfectly, but close enough.

Remove ads