D&D 5E The 5th edition PHB: Sorry but when it comes to functionality, it deserves a 'one star' rating.

Paraxis

Explorer
I can say I greatly miss having the classes that can cast a spell noted in the spell description. Also would love to have a little "C" by the spell names in the summary area to denote which ones are concentration spells.

Yes this too, and a "R" for rituals.

Thank Dog

Banned
Banned
There's only one thing I would've done differently with the PHB and that's have a separate spell list organised by school. Other than that, I think it's just fine.

Sacrosanct

Legend
I would alphabetized spells by level. Less flipping around. All the spells that would impact my pc would be within a few pages, rather than spread over the whole section. Sort of how AD&D did it

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
I would alphabetized spells by level. Less flipping around. All the spells that would impact my pc would be within a few pages, rather than spread over the whole section. Sort of how AD&D did it

The reason not to do that is because of monsters who have Innate Spellcasting. In those cases, spells are listed by name, not by level.

Cheers!

ZombieRoboNinja

First Post
Op is overblown, but the layout of the spells is indeed terrible. Picking a spell to learn means flipping through an 80-page chapter for like 15 minutes minimum. I get the page count limitations but it's honestly just dumb that they haven't put official class-specific quick-reference PDFs on the WOTC site yet. (I'm thinking like the feat quick-reference in the 4e PHB, with one-line descriptions of each spell along with stuff like school).

Also, negative extra credit for not giving a dang list of eldritch knight and arcane trickster spells, AND not including schools on the wizard spell list, so I have to look up the entire huge wizard spell list to see which spells are evocation and abjuration (or whatever).

The reason not to do that is because of monsters who have Innate Spellcasting. In those cases, spells are listed by name, not by level.

Cheers!

So. Let me get this straight.

The PHB is made less functional for players to make it easier for the DM to go rummaging through the PHB whenever an abridged monster statblock without the information actually needed to use the monster forces the DM to reach for the PHB.

drjones

Explorer
Until they develop a way to hyperlink everything in the book and read multiple sections at once despite it being made of paper I think this is as good as it's going to get.

I think its creation was predicated on the idea that in practice most people would be using a digital version of the information while they play. The book is for people who like to have a big book to browse through and appreciate as an object. Considering the state of the publishing industry and that the book seems to have sold out, this was probably a good approach.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
I understand the school and the various subclass spell list frustration...but otherwise....

I like it as is. If the spell I'm looking for is called Befuddle, I know where to find it.

Remove ads