Votes: 1 0.6%
  • -

Votes: 4 2.2%
  • -

Votes: 3 1.7%

• Poll closed .

Vyvyan Basterd

Adventurer
Oh, this is actually a factor I'll consider. Which one provides the best balance of fun mechanics with ease of explaining, so I could run it for a 4 hour slot at Gen Con?

I wrote Hand of Fate over a couple of days, did a little research for my core idea (Loviatar's child's influence on the Siege of Leningrad), and ran a really fun 4 hour slot at ENWorld Chicago Gameday 27. With just the card meanings at hand, the players followed along quickly to form their story.

Kexizzoc

First Post
Well, I honestly didn't expect to be included here! I saw that there were some incomplete entries, but I felt like mine was...REALLY... incomplete (again, did what I could with 10 hours of work). This definitely brightened my day.

I'll be pushing myself over the next seven days to fill in the stuff that was conceptually finished in my head, but I simply ran out of time writing. Namely:

-Evocalist was the only class that was even close to almost finished. Finish off their Talents and add the missing flavor text.

-Skills were omitted entirely to avoid confusion in this text, but they will be in the final game. They'll function more like "Traits" rather than Skills in D&D; there will be a list of between 15 and 30 to choose from, you'll start with 3, with your Gift and Realms influencing your choices. Rather than flesh out each individually, the GM would determine which Skills apply in which situations. Examples include Strong Female Vocals, Heavy Metal, and Driving Beat-- essentially terms that sound like they were ripped from the Music Genome Project.

-Introduce some kind of Creative Spellcasting mechanic. It will relate heavily to the Songs mechanic, which will be much more fleshed out. An entire element of this game would be that the real-world background soundtrack would influence the game, with the GM putting the player's songs into a playlists (on shuffle). Enemies would also have songs.

-Enemies. I knew from the start that including a Bestiary was too difficult to tackle with limited time, but I feel like without it the world, setting, and tone are too difficult to picture. This is a combat-oriented game-- the difference is, combat is a wacky cross between a concert and the mosh-pit brawl. Without seeing a sample of the foes you'll be fighting (Savage Metalheads, swarms of rabid Sceners, DJs who control hordes of enslaved trance-dancers) you're only seeing half the game.

Anyway, good luck to everyone! I'll be reading as many of these as I can before the voting ends.

darkcyril

First Post
A vote for Daughters of Lear is a vote for freedom and two-parent families! :p

In all honesty, I would really appreciate a vote if you feel it's deserved. I wrote the game over a couple of days based on an idea that I had a while ago but never got around to writing for some reason or another. I had a lot of fun writing it up. Good luck to everyone else involved!

artikid

First Post
LINK was written kinda hastily in two days. There's lots of things I'd change now.
I think DoC and Godsrealm are really neat.

NancyButtpeach

First Post
I wrote my Simple Percent System in about two hours, but it uses my experiences in game design for about 10 years. I think it is simple and intuitive. The base mechanic of characters having a 50% chance to succeed on a normal adventuring task, which is then modified by character concept, seems to be solid.

Also, who could dislike Grog's adventures?

Xiyla

First Post
I based PET off of the fact that as a kid and now I always wondered what my pets would talk about. I liked the idea that they were really capable of having their own little goals in life and that they were as varied as us. Figured d6s were the most common dice to obtained and though it is a family friendly rpg it can be made into something darker. I love very opened rpgs such as Lady Black Bird and that definitely influenced my game.

Also I think it would be really cool if my cats had telekinesis and heat vision. It would probably lead to a lot of messes though.

Thondor

I run Compose Dream Games RPG Marketplace
The only submission I've read so far was the Token System. This was partially because I was curious as to how it related to my Reality Warp submission. Beyond both of them being narrative systems there isn't a lot.

Token System is a resource management game that reminds me a little of the 2004(?) Marvel game. You have tokens that you bid and trade back and forth. It's well written, and has some neat templates for various genres. Would I play it? Maybe if it was house-ruled so the bidding was secret.

My system uses Narrative Tokens as its basic currency. Spending them lets you enhance your character, create people, groups, assets and secrets. The game plays like a movie about people slowly (or quickly) discovering their ability Warp Reality. Psychic powers, secret organizations, realizing that what you thought was real isn't.
There is random mechanics, generally you use your reality warping to try an overcome somethings 'narrative Significance' to effect it.
Each Scene players get more Narrative Tokens. When you spend Narrative Tokens you may gain Risk. Risk determines your characters final fate in the Endgame.

EditorBFG

Explorer
Since each author posting a bit of info about their game seems to be customary, I should take the opportunity to clarify a few things about my own game, SEVEN DAYS:
1) Forgot to post my own line in the OGL Section so that people could use the open content. The very last line of the doc should be:
SEVEN DAYS RPG, Copyright 2013, Jeremy Forbing; Author Jeremy Forbing.
2) Did an XP system and some alternate rules (for people who wanted to use more dice or slightly different card rules), then left both moldering in a text file by simply forgetting to cut and paste them. Ugh. The other mistakes, I can chalk up to just having been in a hurry, but this one just makes me feel like a dolt.
3) Made an ugly character sheet, didn't have time to make a pretty one, and then left it out entirely. That was too bad, because I think just having a character sheet in front of you makes character creation easier in any RPG.
4) It occurs to me now that you could easily use stuff from existing d20/OGL games in this, especially bad guys and encounters. Minor bad guys would pretty much just work normally. Major bad guys would just need some descriptive aspects, but could use their d20 bonuses/modifiers normally (forgive the game-speak that only makes sense if you've read the game), pulling one card for aspect, one card for using a classic D&D ability score (replacing SEVEN DAYS' Attributes), and one each for using a skill or power. For balance purposes, my guess is characters from this game are on average about as mechanically tough as 10th level D&D/Pathfinder characters, just with crazier abilities. Had that occurred to me, I could have written a section on conversion rules. Then again, I didn't have time to do all the other things I planned either.
5) Could have auto-generated a table of contents in Word (because I used headings), and forgot that too. Man.

The whole idea for this game was inspired by the contest itself. I actually didn't think I would enter, but then thinking about a 7 Day RPG contest made me think of the Judeo-Christian creation story (the Earth being created in seven days), and the idea of writing a game in seven days about creating (or recreating) a world in seven days gave the whole thing a self-referential (or perhaps self-indulgent) flare that appealed to me. I had the idea, then realized that the idea would never be quite as good outside of the context of the contest, so I decided to really write the whole thing in the allotted week.

So I didn't have one word of this written before the contest, but I knew that to do a really robust game (for some reason, perhaps masochism, I decided not to do a simpler bare-bones game), I would have to draw upon the open game license. I wanted it to feel totally different from a normal OGL/D20 game, but still be familiar enough that most folks reading it could immediately grok the rules. Then I thought of the idea of keeping the basic OGL mechanic almost entirely, but using a different randomizer that would achieve roughly the same results, and making that means of generating a random number customizable based on the character and what they were trying to do in a more story-game kind of way, and I was off to the races.

To do everything a superhero game has to do, and make character creation really meaty, I had to use a lot of open content. But I decided not to port anything in whole cloth, but instead remix, repurpose, or rewrite anything I used. Still, there is no way I could have done this without the OGL. Not in a bazillion years. So making sure to open up just about everything I did to the OGL just seemed right. I really hope someone finds some way to use elements of this in their own crazy game.

Dunno if I will win, but I am sure I am not the only contestant who feels that if even one gaming group ever uses my game and enjoys it, I will be thrilled, and I would LOVE to hear all about that, so if anyone does, please please post about your experience.

Now I'm off to read all the other entries!

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases