D&D General The abandoned core monsters of D&D

ilgatto

How inconvenient
Whoa! The "Ogre Jelly" just reminded me of something I hadn't thought about in a long time. It was listed in Mentzer Basic as a "Special" on the random Room Contents table. These were called "Trick Monsters":

View attachment 352138

That whole section of "Special" room contents was probably my very first genuine D&D epiphany, that there really is no limit! It's truly a formative warm fuzzy of mine. Possibly even a giant albino four-armed warm fuzzy.

/nostalgia
Oh dear. Wild bore? Quarterling? Mouth harpy? Rock and roll baboon? I guess EGG and Mr. Mentzer had a good laugh about that. :)

Reynard

Legend
Whoa! The "Ogre Jelly" just reminded me of something I hadn't thought about in a long time. It was listed in Mentzer Basic as a "Special" on the random Room Contents table. These were called "Trick Monsters":

View attachment 352138

That whole section of "Special" room contents was probably my very first genuine D&D epiphany, that there really is no limit! It's truly a formative warm fuzzy of mine. Possibly even a giant albino four-armed warm fuzzy.

/nostalgia
But D&D is serious business!

JEB

Legend
I would imagine mostly because they are very similar to things that are in. Pretty sure the main adversary in Desert of Desolation was a Greater Efreet, noble genies are mentioned in 5e without having stats, AD&D had elementals with three different strengths without giving them separate names, and so on.

Then there are some things like the Sasquatch which don’t really do anything apart from hide in the woods, and some that stray a little too close to IP violations.
It's certainly true that many of those 89 overlap with AD&D options - most notably the half-dozen or so where Basic and Advanced literally did different takes on the same idea. Though those raise more of a question in my mind - were the Basic designers even paying attention to developments in the AD&D line? Or were they well aware and very deliberately trying to be different?

Also, there are a number of truly novel ideas in the RC lineup - standouts IMHO include the horde, nuckalavee, plasm, and wereshark - and they didn't get picked up for later core lineups, either. In fact, I'd say many of those Basic core monsters left behind outshine the ones we did get in 3e, the athach and nightshade.

I think it's probably more cynical than that: They created different sets of monsters to insulate themselves from paying Arneson for AD&D, which had a different set of monsters and thus is clearly a different game than AD&D.
Interesting idea, but you'd think that if Arneson was already getting royalties for the D&D line and not AD&D, they would have invested more energy into new ideas for AD&D monsters, and just coasted on Arneson-era ideas for Basic. Instead, it looks like the opposite happened...

JEB

Legend
I'm curious. Could it be argued that the BX/BECMI/RC91 Spitting Cobra (1 HD, 3' long) is not the same as the African Spitting Cobra that is mentioned in MCC1 Snake - Spitting (4+2 HD, 8' long)? Admittedly, MCC1 is a bit of a mess, but shouldn't the latter actually be Giant African Spitting Cobra, as MM1 Snake, Giant - Spitting ("Giant spitting cobras") (4+2 HD) seems to suggest? If so, is there a core Spitting Cobra in AD&D? MM2 doesn't have one, MC1 doesn't mention one under Snake - Spitting (4+2 HD).
EDIT: Didn't initially understand the question, sorry.

For the purposes of my spreadsheet, I did assume that the Basic spitting cobra is the AD&D spitting snake. I see what you're getting at with the HD and size differences... but since the 2e source doesn't say it's "giant" and cited the "African spitting cobra" as an example, I took it to all be talking about the same creature, with the differences just down to different editions' interpretations. (IIRC there's a similar vagueness with poisonous toads - and I similarly lumped them together.)

Last edited:

ilgatto

How inconvenient
EDIT: Didn't initially understand the question, sorry.

For the purposes of my spreadsheet, I did assume that the Basic spitting cobra is the AD&D spitting snake. I see what you're getting at with the HD and size differences... but since the 2e source doesn't say it's "giant" and cited the "African spitting cobra" as an example, I took it to all be talking about the same creature, with the differences just down to different editions' interpretations. (IIRC there's a similar vagueness with poisonous toads - and I similarly lumped them together.)
MCC1 = Monstrous Manual, as per the Acaeum TSR Stock List.

I see. It is a complicated issue. Made even more complicated by the fact that there isn't a real-world African spiting cobra, but that there is a real-world giant spitting cobra. Wherefore we could argue that "African" is meant to be "from Africa rather than from Asia", and that MCC1 actually refers to a "spitting cobra" under the heading Snake, Giant - Spitting.

However, I'd argue that the BD&D spitting cobra is a (non-giant) spitting cobra;
that the AD&D MM1 "giant spitting cobras" are giant snakes;
that the AD&D MM2 (non-giant) poisonous snakes have nowhere near 4+2 HD;
and that therefore the AD&D MCC1 African spitting cobra is a giant snake as well (especially since the real-world giant spitting cobra is typically around 5'4" long).

Which would make that there's no "core" (non-giant) spitting cobra in AD&D?

wereshark
Is listed in FR wiki. It did show up in a couple 2nd edition adventures, and is well enough remembered for someone to have done a 5e conversion. If you do a google search you get a load of stuff.

It is considered something of a joke though.

Last edited:

ilgatto

How inconvenient
Some more BD&D monsters I don't think are in AD&D - dunno about later editions, by the way.

Killer Bee: Although described as "giant bees" in B/X, I don't think they are the same as the AD&D EX2/MM2 Giant Honeybee.*

Driver Ants: Mentioned and statted out in MTA2/MTA4 as Giant Driver Ants, they're called Driver Ants in B/X, and then never happen in AD&D, although I suppose they could fall under Giant Ant. However, real-world driver ants have a semi-nomadic lifestyle, which would distinguish them from how I suppose the AD&D giant ants are treated? I'd venture that masses of migrating ants would be a thing to mention and there's no word of this in MM1 and later AD&D.

And then there's the BD&D Shadow.
D&D-GH: Non-corporeal intelligent creatures which can be harmed only with magical weapons. They hunger after the life energy of living things, and their touch (any hit scored) causes a loss of 1 point of strength due to the chilling effects of the touch. This lasts for eight turns. If any creature is brought to 0 strength it becomes a Shadow itself. Shadows are not "Undead" per se.
B/X: Shadows are not undead, and cannot be "Turned" by clerics.
BECMI/RC91: Shadows are not affected by Sleep or Charm spells, but they are not Undead and cannot be Turned by clerics.
MM1: These horrible undead creatures are found amidst ancient ruins or deep beneath the ground.
MC1 & MCC1: Shadows are shadowy, undead creatures that drain strength from their victims with their chilling touch.
Also see Tom Moldvay, Out of the Shadows, in: Dragon 162 (TSR, 1990)

* EDIT: Mille excuses. Keep forgetting you don't think of MM2 as "core". Anyway, the AD&D giant bees are also in MCC1.

Last edited:

Killer Bee: Although described as "giant bees" in B/X, I don't think they are the same as the AD&D EX2/MM2 Giant Honeybee.*

Driver Ants: Mentioned and statted out in MTA2/MTA4 as Giant Driver Ants, they're called Driver Ants in B/X, and then never happen in AD&D, although I suppose they could fall under Giant Ant. However, real-world driver ants have a semi-nomadic lifestyle, which would distinguish them from how I suppose the AD&D giant ants are treated? I'd venture that masses of migrating ants would be a thing to mention and there's no word of this in MM1 and later AD&D.
There are always two versions of real world animals, the real, scientific version, and the mythical version that exists within stories and imagination. The wolf is a prime example, the wolf of myth is so different from the wolf of reality that they became two completely different creatures in fantasy.

When it comes to bugs, this is further complicated by the introduction of the "swarm" concept, I think in 3rd edition. So, your somewhat realistic version of killer bee becomes "swarm of poisonous insects, flying" in 3 - 5e. But 5e also has a "cute" giant bumble bee, reflecting the idea that bumble bees are often much loved by humans. I think this creature actually first appeared in 1st edition, in Gygax's Wonderland adaptations.

If you wanted a giant killer bee in 5e, you would use the stat block for a giant wasp. The D&D ruleset is not detailed enough to make the distinction between these two imaginary creatures meaningful.

Last edited:

Remove ads