The Actual Table of Contents for Xanathar's Guide to Everything

dave2008

Legend
The DM section really should have been a separate book, but they don't have the staff for that.

I don't think it is a staff issue, it is their marketing philosophy. VoGtM combined PC and DM content as well. So did SCAG. I don't think they want to sell discrete PC and DM products. They believe, and I feel like they have actually said this as well, they can sell more product with a combined approach.

gyor

Legend
I don't think it is a staff issue, it is their marketing philosophy. VoGtM combined PC and DM content as well. So did SCAG. I don't think they want to sell discrete PC and DM products. They believe, and I feel like they have actually said this as well, they can sell more product with a combined approach.

Don't kind yourself it's not that they don't want too, it's that they can't, that's just the excuse they put out, when the reality is that to put out a pure players option book would mean no DM book at all that year, because they can't do more then 1 none AP book a year.

dropbear8mybaby

Banned
Banned
Combining DM and player content is a fantastic idea. I don't know why everyone is complaining about that. The burden of buying books is almost always on the DM. Even if it's a player-centric book, the DM needs access to a copy in order to know what's in it, which usually means buying a copy. Having players pitch in to share the expense helps a lot. That, and all DM's are players, and more players should be DM's.

JeffB

Legend
I was wondering when they would start talking about the DM side of the book as the player side has zero interest for me. Now I can see why they haven't bothered. That is a snoozefest of DM "tools".

I'll stick with TOA for best DM product for 2017.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I find it ironic that some people find paying $50 once a year for mechanical options is a hardship when 10 years ago they would be paying $35 every month for mechanical options... in both cases having material they'd probably only use 15% of. Especially now that we've had three years of incessant complaints about WotC not releasing new game mechanic material and cries of "I want to give WotC my money but they won't take it!" Three years of complaints for more character options, and now that they can have them, more complaints of "I'm not going to spend my money on them."

Now admittedly, the people in this thread who are saying they aren't going to spend the $50 are most likely not the same people who've been shouting this entire time "Where are my character options!"... but I do find it amusing how quickly the narrative changes nonetheless. But on the bright side for everyone who doesn't want to buy the book... you probably can all use the UA articles themselves for your own home games as needed because the mechanics have all seemed relatively reasonable (with maybe an adjustment made only here or there in specific cases.)

Me personally? I'm going to buy the book because I had the foresight to save the $4 each month for the past year so that I'd have the money available to me. It was hard... I mean I usually had to just buy the Medium coffee at Dunkin' Donuts every day rather than the Large... but I think I'm going to be good. ;) And as far a worth is concerned... I've blown money on much more useless products than this (the 4E Eberron books when I already had the 3.5 setting book), so I'm willing to suck it up just to have the rules in one easily-accessible place.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Especially now that we've had three years of incessant complaints about WotC not releasing new game mechanic material and cries of "I want to give WotC my money but they won't take it!" Three years of complaints for more character options, and now that they can have them, more complaints of "I'm not going to spend my money on them."

Now admittedly, the people in this thread who are saying they aren't going to spend the $50 are most likely not the same people who've been shouting this entire time "Where are my character options!"... but I do find it amusing how quickly the narrative changes nonetheless.

That’s what happens when you talk to different people. They say different things. It’s quite common.

Remathilis

Legend
As an aside, I’m getting really tired of seeing people try and dismiss complaints as entitlement, essentially implying that you should just be happy with whatever and never push back against poor quality. No one is asking for the book for free, but pointing out that a lot of redundant or useless content might make it a harder sell at the usual 50$ price is a valid issue for potential consumers to be made aware of.

try again:

Yeah, the last year or so of UA's, trawling through feedback, testing, revising, surveys, etc. they really should just give it to us for free. Hell, I think I should be paid to buy it!

dave2008

Legend
Don't kind yourself it's not that they don't want too, it's that they can't, that's just the excuse they put out, when the reality is that to put out a pure players option book would mean no DM book at all that year, because they can't do more then 1 none AP book a year.

I don't know - I always try to kind myself ;)

That could be, but that is just speculation. Regardless it is really the same point - they are doing what they think is most profitable (as any business typical does). Your example is low overhead is more profitable so less staff. My example is market research says two in one is more profitable.

I know from previous market research (before 5e) that DMs buy the more product (by a large margin). So it makes sense (staff or not) to bundle PC content with DM content. I know this is how it works in my group as well. There is no extra PC content unless I make it or buy it, so it is nice to get some DM content too.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases