• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The AD&D DM Adventure Log

Bullgrit

Adventurer
I was looking through this book again tonight, and it made me want to resurrect this old thread -- anyone have any more information on these characters or the players?

Bullgrit

frankthedm

First Post
Drinking Kool-Aid, guess the flavor...

Odd, I could have sworn this thread had been locked back in the day. Maybe it was a different thread with that L. Ron Hubbard name in the title that got locked.
Cthulhudrew said:
It appears that having "Black" as your moniker shortens your lifespan.
Some things Siriusly reduce your life expectancy.

Last edited:

Bullgrit

Adventurer
Odd, I could have sworn this thread had been locked back in the day. Maybe it was a different thread with that L. Ron Hubbard name in the title that got locked.
Yeah, it was another thread back in '08. It was closed "due to it being about a real-world religious figure."

Maybe this thread's title should be altered? I'll change it.

Bullgrit

grodog

Hero
I was looking through this book again tonight, and it made me want to resurrect this old thread -- anyone have any more information on these characters or the players?

Yes, a little more:

- Kevin Hendryx's Black Dougal was a real PC, and is also mentioned in the TSR Minigame Revolt on Antares
- I am now the proud owner of Steve Marsh's Illysio Morningstar PC, and a slew of his others (Illysio was sold in a binder of Steve's PCs), so I can definitely confirm that
- Rebecca Moldvay had a "Sister Rebecca" PC, but IIRC the character (along with Jolan's PC Yolanda Mirabilis) doesn't survive other than what's in the DM Log; I don't recall if Morgan survived among Tom's papers or not

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
I wonder why Black Dougal was always the example of a PC biting the dust?

This, added with the Example of Play in the red book where he blows his disarm traps roll and dies from poison...

Poor guy.
At least he was supposedly only really killed by a fire giant. Imagine his shame if he were killed by a kobold.

pemerton

Legend
If I'm reading it right, Black Dougal was a 1st ed AD&D Ranger. How does that PC - the most hit points of any fighter-type at that level, and a level bonus to damage, get beaten by a giant?

EDIT: A LN ranger? OK, so now I'm more confused.

pming

Legend
Hiya

If I'm reading it right, Black Dougal was a 1st ed AD&D Ranger. How does that PC - the most hit points of any fighter-type at that level, and a level bonus to damage, get beaten by a giant?

Probably by the Great Equalizer (re: sucky dice :) ).

EDIT: A LN ranger? OK, so now I'm more confused.

You're forgetting that back in ye olden days, each DM's campaign could vary wildly. In this one, the DM obviously said "Yeah, I guess with his background...sure, you can be a LN ranger". Ahhh....the good ol' days...when being a DM actually *meant* something.

^_^

Paul L. Ming

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
You're forgetting that back in ye olden days, each DM's campaign could vary wildly. In this one, the DM obviously said "Yeah, I guess with his background...sure, you can be a LN ranger". Ahhh....the good ol' days...when being a DM actually *meant* something.
Why can't you do that now? When I'm the DM, I work with the players to determine what they can and can't choose for their backgrounds.

However, the DM must tell everyone up front. What sucks is to hear "Strictly by the books," and then have one player show up with his "Pixie Fairy Cavalier" that the DM has already okayed.

Hussar

Legend
Why can't you do that now? When I'm the DM, I work with the players to determine what they can and can't choose for their backgrounds.

However, the DM must tell everyone up front. What sucks is to hear "Strictly by the books," and then have one player show up with his "Pixie Fairy Cavalier" that the DM has already okayed.

Didn't you get the memo? If you play any game that is still in print, then you must bow and kow tow to your players at all times and all your players must be a bunch of self entitled prats.

Or something like that.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads