• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E The Adventurer's Handbook Speculation Thread

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Thinking, a bit, on what's gone before that we haven't seen yet, and what's in the MM, I think the racial breakdown for Player Character races will include:
- Genasi, as we've already said (and seeming universally agreed!)
- As pointed out, Aasmiar are already in the DMG so that was wrong, on my part.

For separate/individual elemental races, beyond Genasi, I'm going to guess...
- Aarakocra for Air. I personally would rather see Sylph, but they didn't even make the MM. So, I think the 'Koc's are our best bet.
- Svirfneblin for Earth. Yes, we already have "Rock Gnomes" [which are inexplicably synonymous with "Tinker" Gnomes]. But the Drow were in the PHB and then again in the MM as the monster society [they should always be]. I see no reason they couldn't do the reverse for the most "connected to the Elemental Plane of Earth" race they have in there...and the tradition/legacy points as a PC race of past editions.
- Azer seem like the "no-brainer" for the Fire race, being doable as another Dwarf sub-race, "Fire Dwarves" for PCs.
- I'm going to go out on another limb here and say Aquatic Elves for the Water race. Again, legacy/tradition points and easily fluffable as a possible PC race/new Elf sub-race. As well as one of the only elementally Water races that could easily, ya know, walk around on land, as a PC, for adventuring n' stuff.

So, yeah. Fire dwarves, Water elves, Earth gnomes, and Bird-people....and "Half-elemental Humans"/Genasi [variant Half Non-human]. That would seem to round out the "new races" section plenty.

AmerginLiath

Adventurer
I agree with Genasi as a race. Svirfneblin make sense as well. The problem with air or water races is how flight and swimming affects travel and obstacles (plus how many of them, like the Aarakocra, were detailed in the Monster Manual). For classes, keep in mind that many of the names (such as the old "Oriental Adventures" classes) are those that the DMG has already mentioned as merely names that can be substituted for the current classes. I do see Sha'ir as a good Warlock subclass and see the place for an elementalist Druid and/or Sorcerer subclass. While I think we need more expansion of the noncasters, I'm not seeing "elementalist" versions of them as needed, per se – perhaps a ranger who focuses on surviving in the elements (expanding past the direction of Favored Terrain much as HUnter expands past the direction of Favored enemy)?

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Everyone always says this, about flight, and I just don't get it. I don't see it/never have seen it/don't understand how it becomes a problem. You still have a movement rate. You now have a second "flight" movement rate. Your movement is just possible in 3 dimensions now. So what?

And yes, I also noted the one book's cover does appear to be an avariel. So that does seem more likely than the kocras.

Last edited:

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
My prediction: a revised (improved) version of the Elemental Adept feat.

The PHB wording is pretty underwhelming, and it would be an easy way to errata it, but repeating the fat but slightly amped up

nomotog

Explorer
Everyone always says this, about flight, and just get it. I don't see it/never have seen it/don't understand how it becomes a problem. You still have a movement rate. You now have a second "flight" movement rate. Your movement is just possible in 3 dimensions now. So what?

And yes, I also noted the one book's cover does appear to be an avariel. So that does seem more likely than the kocras.

I think it's how it just makes some challenges almost trivial. You know melee monsters, walls, pits, other stuff.

Fralex

Explorer
Flight's easy. Start the race off with a gliding ability, something like "when making a running long jump you can safely land on any surface within the rest of your movement that is at least 5 feet lower than the one you jumped from." Then let them have a fly speed at level 4 or 5, about when a wizard learns flight spells.

Additional Elemental Disciplines for four element monks to learn would be fun.

Also, I kind of hope they make thunder damage be associated with earth energy. Pure, concussive force always felt more appropriate than burning chemicals.

I'd like to see very limited crunch. Half the book could be crunch (or less) and the rest could be a player's guide to the elemental planes, the big primordials/elemental lords, and the like. So the book serves as guidebook for PCs playing the storyline (and DMs wanting to add more elemental themes to their game).
A guidebook for PCs? That sounds like DM material to me, and not something I would expect (or want) to see in a book called "Adventurer's Handbook"

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads