ZEITGEIST The affirmative action racial recruitment team of the RHC

Yeah. High level Pathfinder, man.

I ran a party of 17th level paladins vs something that was basically CR 30, and despite me trying to design something strong enough for what I'd seen them do, they wrecked it with only a few close scrapes.

I hope they're at least having fun.

Andrew Moreton

Adventurer
Actually they feel threatened and in danger , I can manage to keep High level pathfinder dangerous . All of the major npc's at the palace have been rebuilt and optimised with better equipment so they are a real threat, I would like to kill the king but the pc's are pulling out the stops to keep him going.
I was hoping when he grapped the dragon I could kill him as that would have been awesome, I may have to escalate the mad professors creations, I am thinking some kind of Giant Wight maybe a Storm Giant wight left over from the ancients civilisation to really make them sweat.
While the look undamaged they have burnt off quite a few high level powers and spells so they should have more trouble next week and if they don't Stansfield gets upgraded.

I did run Wrath of the Righteous and Mythic +High level pc's broke me. I had to give the final boss 16000 hp and he died in 4 rounds, but it was ridiculous Glass cannons I could easily kill the party but not give them a challange.

I wonder what high-level PF2 looks like. I only played at 1st and 5th level in the playtest, and my group didn't like how the system felt, so I haven't gone back to it. I hope they've designed it with an eye for remaining balanced and quick at high level.

Andrew Moreton

Adventurer
PF2 Did not impress me, I only glanced at it but every change I saw was one I did not like, but I don't like 5th edition either. On the other hand I have a huge pile of PF1 Stuff I can still use and more ideas for games in other systems than I will ever have time to run

Andrew Moreton

Adventurer
I have to say Stansfield is probably the most complicated single NPC i have ever rebuilt, no one else has needed 7 character sheets (I have not rebuilt the technologist but I may still do so which will make it 8). He should be a challange to the pc's

Andrew Moreton

Adventurer
This session we saw the players struggling very hard to protect King Aodhan from the massed forces of the Ob. Almost the entire session was consumed by the fight , , in total about 2 minutes of game time took most of two sessions. Fortunatly we enjoy complicated fights as long as they have some meaning, good job as I expect most of the next 2 sessions to be combat heavy.

The fight started with the group heading towards the South West Lantern with Asraby, Kind Aodhan, Harkover, and Dame Jillian they noticed that to the South-East there were 2 squads of soldiers, a Golem and a horde of Wraiths. Guarding the SW Lantern was another force the same strength and more importantly the full strength force of the Elites. Romana, Professor Jon Bugge (Necromantic cleric Lich), Cula Rajanavi, a Storm Giant chieftan transformed into a wight and Proffessor Bugges PHD Students transformed into Wights, , evidence suggested than many of the wraiths were the undergraduates who had failed the professors applied Necromancy course.

For pretty much the Wraiths and Wights achieved nothing the pc's had undeath ward spells up on Harkover and Nevla and not one of the Wights or Wraiths made their saving throws to break the wards.
In the first round Cula turned invisible and circled around behind the group to attack, William channelled clerical power and damaged the wraith hordes before the group realised they posed little threat. The Giant charged in and smacked the King for a lot of damage before coming under attack from Asraby, Padme , and the King.. Romana then hit the king with a Suffocate spell and William with a Dominate spell both failed, but came close to being a disaster, Ulvar then retaliated with his own suffocation effect pulling all the air from Romana's lungs and incapicating her on 0 hp, she was then 'accidentally' shot several times by Amielle Latimer.
Random fire from the infantry squads injured several people and cannon fire from the Gole, however ms hit the king leaving him badly injured. Harkover took out 2 squads with a blast from his breath weapon and also a Wraith squad the rest of the infantry ran off. Manuel Nock Gunned the Giant leaving it close to dead.

In the second round Cula stabbed the King and critted him with a Shocking grasp, his protection from electical damage spell absorbed most of that but he was badly hurt, Ulvaar took out the Giant Wight, Padme, William, Harkover and Asraby attacked Cula hurting her, before the King used the Six Loa Saber to disarm her before retreating behind Harkover. The Professor hit the King with a Destruction spell and a quickened slay living leaving him really badly injured before the Golems shot him as well. Dame Jillian charged and attacked the professor.

Round three Cula retreated from mellee and hit the king with three Gloomblind bolts killing him however Nevla stepped in with a Breath of Life spell bringing him up to positive hp then Ulvaar healed him and William dimension doored Harkover and the King back into the palace, Manuel shot the proffessor with a cannon and he was attacked by everyone else.

Inside the Palace the Assasination squad was suprised when the King teleported into the room with them and they shot him 8 times with Human Bane revolvers killing him (At last!). I ended the fight there with Cula and the Professor fleeing into the Bleak gate while the party took the golems, wraiths, and other undead apart.

The party briefly spoke with Latimer asking why she had helped them , she explained she had changed her mind about the Obs project over the years but told them not to tell her anything and emphasised they needed to stop Stansfield. Troops rushed into the palace as the Lanterns were destroyed lead by Price-Hill. All were saddened to see the King dead but following the Kings wishes Nevla was named his successor and the rest of the Constables Dukes of the Realm, Manuel being most definetly the first Goblin Duke of Risur. There was no time for either Celebrations or Mourning for the King. Instead a quick ceremony swore Hevla in as the throne. The group readied itself with magical weapons from the Royal armoutym and new technologies from Odd cog while checking reports from Gale by wind , and radio reports from the Battallion Academy and surviving units of the fleet by radio. This gave them an accurate picture of the situation in Flint and they decided to take the Great Hunts help in getting there. They debated trying to get She Who Writhes to awaken and destroy the Danoran fleet but then noticed the reports of mass fish stranding and immediatly realised that must mean she was coming. They sent out an urgent radio order for all fleet units to return to harbout to wait out her wrath or wait until Nevla could deal with her.

We finished with the Queen and her companions riding for Flint to bring down Stansfield , then deal with She Who Writhes and gather the fleet for an attack in Axis island

Andrew Moreton

Adventurer
Before they set off for Flint the group discussed plans and strategies. They decided they could not tell people in Flint what they were doing except Gale by messanger wind as Sending did not work and Stansfield had a radio and their codes. They did decide to tell Flint they were coming on the Impossible and landing on the edge of Flint their theory being that it may pull some Danoran warships away from the Harbour, they also asked for an evacuation of the area around Cauldron Hill and the coast with preperations for a refugee camp in the Cloudwoods, they did not mind the Danorans knowing about that as they figured Lya would be happy to allow none combatants to evacuate from a combat zone.
I had Livia Hatsfield approach them with a suggestion that the forcefield they were hearing about could be linked to some of Romana's studies of the powers of the Monarch and could be drawing from either Stansfield or some other captured royal officer. Nevla immediatly signed a document sacking Stansfield and then they had another idea, if the forcefield was not in Risur anymore a link to the royal power would be weaker, they discussed this for a while and then decided to make Governors Island in Flint the official Eladrin embassy to Risur , Nevla signed a document for this and got the Eladrin ambassador to sign it and technically Governors Island was no longer Risuri soil. They figured they could persuade the Eladrin to give i back later and anyway an Eladrin outpost in Flint was acceptable.

Then they set off for Flint with an accompaniment of Ride of the Valkyries, Manuel made a note he needed a sound system for his Steam suit, to go along with all the other gadgets he and Tinker had attached.
Manuel know has a Nock Gun, a Rifle, a 6 Pounder Breechloading cannon, a Salvo grenade launcher, a Mortar and a Maxim gun on his steam suit along with the Expresso machine and Mithril Waffle Iron. The Maxim gun uses magical dodginess and a Ring of X-ray vision to shoot through up to a foot of stone, The Cannon and Mortar have anti-magic rounds prepared with bits of Methia.

They stopped in the Cloudwood when they reached Flint and met Gale who updated them on the situation, they decided that the situation at Cauldorn hill with no contact from Captain Dale sounded bad so they sent Asraby and Dame Jillian to evacuate him and make sure that people were evacuating. They then worried about a Bleak Gate Titan appearing and were relieved to hear no such thing had ever been seen. Moving onwards they headed for RHC headquarters to meet up with the local military and check to see if they could find evidence of what Drelft was up to.

At the RHC building they met up with some officers and the B-Team who gave them the latest update on the Danoran deployments , during the course of later discussions Beshala arrived and told them She Who Writhes was coming, Nevla asked if they could book an appointment as they were busy at the moment and was glad to hear she who writhes would stay at sea and not eat the islands. The only ships at sea in the area were the Danorans so they decided She Who Writhes could wait. The Coaltongues designer turned up and explained why the Coaltongue could not raise steam and produced the bits he had removed, he briefed Manuel on how to put them back. They also learned the shield had flickered at about the same time that Nevla had made it the Eladrin embassy, they deduced this meant it was weaker, Harkover believed that he could breach the shield with a great effort giving them an alternative to the Coaltongue. Examining Delfts office revealed he had got much worse at filling in the paperwork in the last few days so they decided that he had probably been dopplegangered, as they could not believe he was a Danoran or Ob agent because if he was they would have been totally screwed earlier as he had know their plans for the Symposium.

Then Manuel had a cunning plan. Harkover is a Blue dragon , they have a burrow speed so he could tunnel to the edge of the shield carrying along the Queen and her fellow constables protected by Ulvaar's life bubble then he would breach the shield before burrowing again while the pc's rushed in. In the meantime the B-team would lead an assualt to seize the Coaltongue it would be nice if they succeeded but it would also be a diversion drawing the attention of the Danoran warships from the minute or so Harkover would be exposed. With a plan in place Gale helped Nevla address the people of Flint. The player had some rough notes on the speech , which covered the high points of
1) The Ob and Danorans murdered the King , I am his successor
2) I am here to defend my home, this city and its people adopted me and now I will drive out the Danorans and their allies
3) Everyone should evacuate Cauldron Hill and the coastal areas, community leaders and soldiers will help coordinate that using the subways
4) Any information the Queen needs to know about the Danorans please tell the community leaders

Gale volunteered to move between the various community groups and coordinate the evacuation, and everyone was relieved that AA guns were not a feature of current ship designs. Then they began their attacks as they did so they noticed the stars begginning to fall from the sky and saw a tentacled way enter the bay and be annoyed by the mines before it started to sink Danoran ships. They noted that the Danorans did not have Depth charges either , yet.

Harkover was indeed able to breach the shield and the pc's rushed in. Once inside they encountered a manifestation of Stansfield who tried to keep them talking, they did not trust him and quickly managed to grapple him and stuff him in the Absurdist web.
The assault on the keep took advantage of a ripple in the planar fabric and dimension doored inside (Translation the GM Forgot momentarily that like all fortresses in this world teleporation is blocked by gold wire, I remembered half way through the fight and was not going to retcon)
On arrival Nevla started to address the Risuri Marines to try and avoid fighting them, Padme moved to stab to death the nearest Stansfield, Ulvaar and William moved towards Stansfields as well while Manuel ran up the main staircase....... He ended up knee deep in Mimic with no freedom of movement effect and no way to break the adhesive grapple. Until the next round when the players realised that a Collossal 42 HD Mimic attacking the royal party has made a dire mistake, Nevla empowed by the rites of rulership picked up Manuel pulled him out of the steam suit and put him down. The 10th level stansfield clones proved able to put up little resistance and got rapidly crushed , the Dopple-drelft went down and the soldiers were persuaded to lay down their arms, the Mimic did some damage before being killed by a lot of attacks. The group prepared to Dimension door to the roof but Nevla insisted on checking out the building with the column of light coming from it , there they found the real Drelft and with a lot of effort managed to break the ritual. The Lightning Weasel could manage Knowledge religion, Manuel could just about manage Knowledge arcane (the weasel could have done it better ), William managed knowledge nature and the combined efforts of Nevla, Padme and Ulvaar combined with several spells to give rerolls barely managed the Heal check. Drelft was saved and they prepared for the final assault

Andrew Moreton

Adventurer
Modified rites or Rulership , to make them more useful for casters
Constant effects
+5 saves vs fear, Charm, Poison
Fast Healing 10
While wearing the crown free action to give someone a reroll on save vs fear, charm or poison. Once per person per day

Swift action to move up to 4 5 foot cubes of earth stone or folriage 5 ft
If you know someones actual name can forbid a creature from entering Risur via teleportation or Planar traval. (William Millar/Nicodemus is getting banned I suspect)

When engaged with a group or individual contesting the territory or rule of Risur
Bonus to AC, Attack Rolls, Saving throws, Spell penetration , and Spell DC equal to difference in Hit dice between you and strongest enemy. Next session this is a +3 Bonus

dexterity, constitution and strength based check get+5 + hlaf difference in HD (+7) this adds to CMB and CMD

Extra fast healing equal to difference in HD (3)

Temporary hp equal to difference in HD * Level (48 hp next session)

Counts as the same size as the challanger when this is a benefit

Remove ads