• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Age of Worms - Morrus' Campaign - Finished 6th August!!

Eccles

Ragged idiot in a trilby.
Morrus said:
I'm sorry, but which group of so-called "heroes" ran away crying like babies this evening?

What? Conning the vicious CENSORED CENSORED into leaving us well alone for a while ain't good enough for you?

And frankly, retreating to a safe distance at that point just made good sense. We may have over-estimated what a safe distance actually was under the circumstances, but still...

Darmanicus

I'm Ray...of Enfeeblement
Morrus said:
I'm sorry, but which group of so-called "heroes" ran away crying like babies this evening?

That's the last time when we are about to prepare for an inevitable conflict that we feel sorry for you and conceed to NOT moving to a much better tactical spot because of your "lovingly prepared map I just drew for you guys"!

Inconsequenti-AL

Breaks Games
Hehe - we may have underestimated the devils - that was one horrendous encounter!

I thought we were doing fantastically well to run away (bravely).

TBH, it was fun getting kicked around the block a few times.

And think the 'saving the day medal' goes to Evan - our fantastic bard... a proper use for that silly high bluff skill!

Darmanicus

I'm Ray...of Enfeeblement
Just for the record.......

Our Cleric of Kord was entertaining the idea of handing over our part of the rod to LAWFUL devils, yes that's right LAWFUL!!!! and DEVILS!!!!

In fact he was giving me s**t about not doing so!!!

Bad Cleric!

Anyways, get writing Eccles.

P.S. and next time Mr Morrus it aint gonna be so pretty for those devils and we certainly are NOT gonna fight in an enclosed space for reasons Mr Eccles will hopefully write about shortly!

Inconsequenti-AL

Breaks Games
What's wrong with turning over the disgusting lawful artefact to the horrible lawful devils?

It'd be nearly as good as disposing of the item responsibly (i.e.throwing the wretched thing into the sea). And I'm sure it'd have no unwanted side effects further down the line either way. ;)

Well, figure the devil fight stuff depends how much of a drop they get on us? Think we should strongly consider living in a forbiddance. :)

Eccles

Ragged idiot in a trilby.
We decided to take a few days to rest and re-equip before setting out for mage Point, and this meant that Endo and I went on a couple of teleported trips to the Free City to both sell and buy equipment.

The pair of us spent quite a time casting further enchantments on our equipment, and with Igmut’s help Endo was able to make more wands of healing.

We met every evening at the Feral Dog where we discussed what we might see once we travelled to Mage Point, and how we would best get there.

“What is it?” demanded Endo of Flynne who was fidgeting and scratching between his shoulder blades.

“I don’t know,” he replied. “The last couple of days at this time I’ve been feeling like… well, like I’ve got a bullseye on my back or something.”

Endo blanched and almost immediately cast another teleportation spell. He was back within the hour clutching several scrolls and a number of jars of costly looking inks. Barely pausing, he spread one of the scrolls on the table, and began to write.

.oOo.

The next day at the same time, we were again in the taproom of the Feral Dog but somewhat better prepared. Endo and Igmut had both cast a series of spells, and just as the first of the mining regulars had returned early to their bunks for the night I crept to the back of the inn and turned myself invisible with a spell of my own.

At four minutes past seven, Flynne again reached for his shoulders to itch, but then Endo blanched visibly. His mouth opened, seemingly beyond his own control and his eyes sprang open with a blazing red light.

“I am Viskaniax,” he bellowed in a voice that was not his own. “And I have you now!”

.oOo.

Endo shook his head and his eyes returned to normal, whilst from the far side of the bar there came a pair of whip-crack noises. Two dark-skinned fanged and scaled figures stood there surveying the bar. As the regulars screamed and ran from the bar, the two devils twisted sinuously, treating us all to a view of their long spiked tails and barbed flesh. One of them twitched slightly as Flynne’s arrows slammed into the wall around it, and the single arrow which struck true seemed to cause the devil no difficulties whatsoever.

A series of whip-crack noises resounded through the bar. We all looked around trying in vain to see what had just teleported in, but couldn’t see anything. Suddenly my view of the rest of the bar was obscured in an instant by a pair of thick walls of ice. I was locked in a small corner of the bar together with Endo and Maynard. Seconds later, two massive boney devils materialised in the corner of the room with us; one still gesturing at the wall of ice, whilst the second hacked with claws and massive stinger at Maynard. I could hear Flynne yelling in surprise from beyond one of the walls suggesting that another of the devils was attacking him at the same time.

Maynard’s rapid series of punches and kicks had absolutely no effect on the bone devil, and it and the other looming beast responded by stabbing out at the monk once more. Still invisible, and within inches of one of the hulking bone monstrosities, I whispered the words of a spell of hasting, which only had an effect on Maynard, Endo and myself.

The closer of the two bone-devils cast a spell of its own, sending a green ray slamming into Endo’s chest which then branched out and sealed him tightly in a green web of energy. As the web faded into his skin, he yelled out “Dimensional Anchor. I can’t teleport out!”

The shout of “Give us the Rod and we’ll let you live” came in a roar from one of the devils beyond the ice wall.

Endo responded with the words of a spell of his own, gesturing at the two devils and sweeping his arms together. As he did so, a huge arc of electricity leapt from one devil to the other, and Maynard followed the spell up by pummelling the more injured of the two, to almost no effect whatsoever.

From the other side of the wall of ice I could see a number of roaring orange glows as some powerful series of fire-spells shot forth. I could hear Igmut yelling in pain and then shout “I don’t have it!”

.oOo.

There was a smashing noise as someone or something shattered a large hole in another of the ice walls. Two pairs of running feet could be heard as Igmut and Flynne made a break for freedom.

Seconds later, I was wracked with pain as a third demon part-materialised around me before its spell failed and it teleported away again.

The two bone devils continued their violent assault on Endo and Maynard. Each was stabbed with the long stinger at the end of the devils’ tails; Maynard seemed to completely shrug off whatever venom was contained in it, but Endo paled visibly. Looking around the room, Maynard realised that he was flanked and already heavily wounded. He turned and dashed towards the shuttered lead-glass window.

WHACK!

For a brief second, the monk was spreadeagled flat upon the shutters before he slid gently down to the floor having left not a single scratch on the window itself. Endo backed away from the window, instead sending his raven familiar fluttering between the outstretched claws of the two devils to peck at Maynard, whose shoulders abruptly broadened and widened. His skin darkened as he assumed the hulking form of an annis hag almost six inches away from me.

Yelling in some surprise, I triggered the powers of my new magical ring. I found myself standing some sixty feet outside of the bar. I turned on the spot to see that the wall and window which Maynard had just run into had been reduced to smoking rubble in my path. Maynard was unharmed, but the damage had also crashed through the more injured of the two devils leaving it with further damage.

From the far side of the inn came a heavy crashing noise accompanied by a yell of triumph from Igmut. Maynard continued to flail out within the ruined portion of the inn, but suddenly all sound and light were sucked from the wreckage as Endo managed to cast a truly abysmal dark spell. The flames guttered and died as the mage dragged power from his surroundings and dragged much of the strength ought of one of the two demons still attacking him.

As if in response, a series of fiery flashes loomed large from the far side of the inn, and a strangled yell of pain from Flynne was abruptly cut short. Igmut bellowed in fury at enemies I could not see form my position.

I slightly adjusted the details of my hat of disguise and dashed towards the inn and into the sight of the demons there. I raised the most powerful item I could find; the Rod of Control, which I had altered to look like the splintered section of the Rod of Seven Parts.

“You want it,” I yelled at the top of my voice. “Come and get it! I will leave your precious Rod in the Whispering Cairn.” Gesturing, I stepped through a glowing doorway away from the inn and vanished from them.

.oOo.

From my position within the upper floors of a nearby building, I watched as the devils vanished, blinking away from their positions one after the next. As the last turned away from the fray, Maynard grabbed him by the head and twisted sharply. There was a loud cracking noise, and the demon slumped to the floor. We gathered quickly near the wreckage of Endo’s mother’s house, and Igmut cast a spell to transport us all to a place of safety.

We spent a pleasant balmy night on another plane of existence, under strange stars amidst unfamiliar trees, interrupted only once by a unicorn as it walked through our glade utterly unconcerned by the strangers surrounding it.

The next day, spells prepared and readied as far as we were able, we transferred back to our home world. As the bright lights made us all blink, we absorbed as much as we could with our other senses.

First came the stench, which was appalling, accompanied by terrible sucking mud as slime or muck dragged at our feet. Then the movement, as heavy bodies began to brush and push against us grunting and squealing.

“Get out of there,” came a rough yell.

Blinking in the light, we squinted towards the voice; a smock-clad straw-hat-wearing farmer leaned on a pitchform staring at us in some confusion as we blinked around us from the centre of the man’s pig-pen.

I grinned broadly at him and stepped forwards through the thick stinking mud.

“Good day, my dear fellow,” I beamed at him. I vaulted the wall to the pen and gestured at the mud clinging to my legs causing it to spontaneously leap two inches away from my clothes and body before introducing us all to him with a series of fulsome compliments of his farmstead as I did so.

Within a few minutes, we were enjoying rich bacon sandwiches before the farmer’s fire, learning that we were some 300 miles from Mage Point. Leaving a few handfuls of coins secreted around the man’s house, we turned towards the sunrise and Endo cast his latest spell. Five large black horses were summoned into being, hooves of smoke stamping and nostrils of fire flaring as they looked around.

We rode the phenomenally fast horses eastwards for several hours, before we found ourselves overlooking the lakeside village of Mage Point where the sinister steeds were accepted without comment. Within the centre of the pale blue lake was a small island, with a tall blue castle standing proudly atop it. A 20 foot wide stone causeway led across the lake.

In the village we encountered many villagers, who were polite, clean and supremely confident in their abilities. Many of them openly wore weapons or the hallmarks of spellcasters, and the shops and inns around the village were of an immensely high standard.

We learned quickly that the mage Manzorian was off the material plane, but knew that we were intending to visit him. To this end, he had paid for us to stay at the excellent hostelry called the All Seeing Eye. The inn was a massive place, boasting suite after suite of rooms, a ballroom and meeting rooms, and to our delight and immense relief the entire building was warded from scrying. We were safe, at least for the time being, from the devil Viskaniax’s spells of finding.

That evening we encountered two familiar faces; Celeste the elven woman who had sponsored us in the Free Cities Championship, who took us to a meeting room where we encountered Eligos, fully recovered from his recent death and resurrection.

The two of them introduced us to Chimry, representative of Manzorian.

We were open and honest with Chimry, telling him what we had achieved and learned, and also that we were being pursued by devils because of what we were carrying.

“You have no need to fear,” replied Chimry. “Not here, at least.”

We relaxed, breathed easy, and settled down to enjoy Mage Point for such time as Manzorian might take to return to the village.

Remove ads