The Age of Worms - Morrus' Campaign - Finished 6th August!!

carborundum

Adventurer
Oh good grief! I can't stand the tension! Will they triumph? Won't they? Will Kyuss ever run out of worms, and why does exposing folks to his armpit do such awful damage?

Another great, supremely concentrated update mate! It's back to nail-biting for me again :)

Eccles

Ragged idiot in a trilby.
We were getting horribly concerned by this stage. We'd blasted off most of our interesting and high-level toys, and whilst Kyuss was definitely hurting, we were struggling. Every single worm he threw at us was taking considerable time and effort to get off ourselves, almost taking one of us every round to keep ourselves alive - it was a "2 rounds and death" sort of deal, so you can see why we were so worried about them!

I just wish I could tell you what happened at the end... :devil:

Eccles

The situation looked dire, and Janga and I glanced at one another. Although Kyuss’ massive cloak was tattered by powerful explosions and his worm-ridden flesh was peppered with arrows, he still glared imperiously and powerfully down at the two of us – all that now stood between the evil god and true dominion of our world.

Determined to sell ourselves dearly, we gripped weapons and holy symbol tightly, and turned as one to face Kyuss and his writhing, twisting form.

Suddenly, triumphantly, Flynne burst forth from the dark folds of the evil god’s cloak. Smothered in life-sapping worms, he tumbled out and onto the floor, looking shocked and horrified by his experience.

Screaming as though released from the very pits of hell, Flynne turned and turned to flee the ziggurat; his scream of despair so utterly terrifying that Janga also turned to flee.

I snatched a well-thumbed scroll from my belt and chanted the words inscribed upon it. The glittering runes faded from the parchment, and both my comrades’ faltering steps slowed as they turned back to the fight.

Janga turned on the spot to cast a spell of his own, and another roaring column of flame lanced from the sky to wreathe around Kyuss’ shoulders, though the god’s own magical protections were too strong for the gnome’s spell.

As Flynne turned to aim his bow up at Kyuss once again, he was struck in the face by another stream of worms, whilst with another gesture Kyuss flicked a single worm at me, which instantly started to drive its way into my forehead.

Driven backwards by the force of the worm-blast, Flynne’s aim was spoiled and his arrow spiralled off wildly.

Triggering the powers of the Wind Duke’s Ring, I blasted across the room by changing into a bolt of lightning, which had the effect of incinerating the worm drilling into my face, and then I called up a wall of fire over Kyuss.

Blackened and stepping out of the inferno, Kyuss snarled and swept both of his arms up in a gesture of power. A pillar of black rolling flame slammed down on Janga, and just as it was ending, a second blast of dark fire slammed down on the cleric. With an idle gesture, Kyuss threw another worm out to the side without even looking, and it flew across the rooftop to strike me at the throat.

Out of options to mystically remove the worm which was already digging at my neck, I swallowed hard.

“I wish this works,” I muttered to myself before dashing across the ziggurat’s top towards the angry god. Even as I approached I could feel the spell I had invoked taking effect – perhaps by fate Kyuss’ axe slammed down shattering the stones a foot to my left. I paused to smile up at the worm-ridden face of the evil deity, I jammed my Staff of the Magi into the shattered stones and twisted it down and across violently.

There was a terrible shattering splintering noise, followed by a tremendous blast of released magic.

The stone of the obelisk a few feet to my left was reduced to dust before my own mystical protections were overcome. Standing in a hurricane of pure energy, I stared at my hand, as the pain became unbearable. My fingers grew indistinct as the churning blast tore away my flesh, and suddenly all was dark.

Cerulean_Wings

First Post
Sweet Pelor... and that fight wasn't planned, it was all improvised as things went on? :confused: Epic, without a doubt, the most epic fight I've read in a while from a story hour :D

Thanks for the update, Mr. Eccles, I'm now anxious to see how things went in the end. Did the group get a happy ending? :uhoh:

Eccles

As the magical storm tore my body to shreds, the blast shattered the magics holding Kyuss’ body together. A million worms were blown apart in the torrent. They fell to earth and began to burrow down – through the spire and shattering the stone of the monolith beneath.

The worms continued deep into the ground, each taking the most minute portion of Kyuss with them, leaving the god buried and powerless. As if ensuring their own safety, the worms dug outwards to create a network of caverns which would be the source of adventures for hundreds yet to come.

.oOo.

Hours later, I was awakened to clear skies and celebrating citizens. The creatures of Kyuss had dropped where they stood, and were mouldering and rotting across the city. Hundreds of citizens had stood in silence in the temple square as Janga had cast the complex spells which led to my resurrection. Weak and unarmed, I stood to raise my arm to the crowds there was a cry out.

“Glories to the vanquishers of Kyuss!”

.oOo.

The crowd to the east fell silent as Prince Zeech and his entourage pushed his way through to reach us.

“You saved Alhastor,” he pronounced with one eyebrow twitching. “You have also brought woe on my city.”

A dark muttering went through the crowd as he gestured at the lands around him.

“Alhastor lies in ruins, and I will defeat those who have slain a God! To the winner the spoils of rulership and godhood!”

As Zeech tore his sword from its scabbard his face twisted in anger and madness.

As he stood before us, preparing to slaughter us all, Flynne emerged from the crowd of people behind him, and a razor-sharp enchanted blade took Zeech’s head off.

Thus was the Age or Worms ended.

.oOo.

As the citizens roared in celebration at their safety and the ending of the life of their mad ruler, the buzz of teleportation magics rippled through the air, and the Circle of Eight materialised amongst us. They brought Allustan with them, and amidst great ceremony the most powerful mages in the world shook our hands.

Sighing, I reached into the depths of my Bag of Holding and pulled out the Lyre of Building. There was a lot of work to be done…

.oOo.

EPILOGUE

The city was rebuilt within a few short weeks through the means of spells, items and summoned elementals. King through rite of conquest, Flynne spent a couple of years as Prince, and then a couple more as Tyrant before deciding that he didn’t like rulership. His chosen system was to appoint a Vice-Tyrant to rule in his stead for a year. Successful vice-tyrants were richly rewarded, whilst those who failed to live up to his expectations seemed to meet grisly ends.

Richly rewarded by ‘his city’, and by his continuing adventures, the black-scaled elf continued his adventuring.

He joined Janga and I as we journeyed through the most difficult of planes to rescue Fez.

The tiny psychopath had somehow survived in the dark dimensions. His equipment scoured away and bound with several native beasts, we brought him back to the prime material plane with us. Turned even more feral, Fez’s skin was covered in angular black tattoos which he could move about his body to block attacks. Compacted imp-like beings of pure darkness could be formed into blades at his will and cackled as he wielded them savagely in combat.

Together we explored the realms for a year or two more, before Janga moved on to find the path as-yet untrod. I hear from him occasionally as he passes through the multi-dimensional city of Sigil, still searching for his ‘one true path’.

Fez completed his time with the massive singing spirit we had met on our adventures, and also moved to Sigil, spending his time as an exotic mercenary, and his money on his continued quest for ever larger women.

Myself? I tried rulership; I built a town on the druidic island we had returned to the inland sea and grew rich on the traders who visited. However, I also grew restless, and have continued my explorations, questing ever onwards for further tales and adventures.

That is my story, stranger. Now it is late, and an old man needs to warm his bones by the fire. Perhaps you have a few coppers to spare for a teller of tall tales?

Cerulean_Wings

First Post
Jubilation, it's over! Let us rejoice and cheer for the heroes who-barely-survived :D

I'm glad to see you were able to finish it up, Mr. Eccles, thank you for the long, exciting stories about your group :)

Remove ads