• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Age of Worms - Morrus' Campaign - Finished 6th August!!

Eccles

Ragged idiot in a trilby.
Whilst we waited in Mage Point for Cymria to contact us, we spent a lot of time in the taproom of the inn. Whilst there, we encountered a number of interesting and entertaining figures, many of whom were looking to hire a group of skilled adventurers with time on their hands.

There was a dwarven fighter clad in layer upon layer of armour, trying to find a band insane enough to want to confront a nest of demons occupying Hellspike Prison. Shuddering, we left this well enough alone after our recent encounter with the denizens of hell.

I discussed possible places for warehousing with a trader who was interested in setting up a route of trade between Mage Point and the Free City, and he was sufficiently delighted with my suggestions to offer my comrades and myself a substantial discount in future.

A third potential employer was looking for a band prepared to free part of his ancestral forests from a green dragon which had already feasted on a small pack of pixies. He was offering 10,000 gold pieces for the head of the dragon.

The last potential employer was the garrison commander for Mage Point, who was interested in our transporting a message to a man in the Free Cities named Thomas Thomason.

Believing that this would be an easy way to pick up the 500 gold and still have time to consider fighting the dragon in the afternoon, we prepared, picked up a small purse for delivering a message for the trader into the Free City as well, and then Endo teleported us to the road outside the mansion house which we had rented a few weeks previously.

Once we had arrived, I immediately stepped through a dimensional door of my own to deliver the trader’s message, then invisibly stepped through a second onto the roof of the inn my comrades were headed for.

A few minutes later, I dropped down from the roof as gently as a feather to land behind them and followed them into the inn.

All sound stopped abruptly as we entered; two drow and a troll amongst others turned to face us as we strolled in. We approached the bar, and after ordering some brackish yellowed water for the monk and ales for the rest of us, a small handful of gold gave us the location of Thomason. We headed through the back of the bar and up the narrow stairs, where (after Flynne hammered on his door for a few moments), the sallow-faced Thomason snatched the sealed message out of my hand and slammed the door once again.

Shrugging, we headed back down the stairs into the common room of the inn. As we reached the foot of the stairs, the main door slammed open before us and 8 blue-robed people rushed into the room blocking the entrance completely.

“Halt,” called out the tallest, who held a short wooden rod in one hand. “You are under arrest. You are charged with facilitating spying.”

At the same time, two more of the blue-robed figures dragged a dazed-looking Thomason down the stairs, one of whom was clutching the note which we had just delivered.

“The note is what we were expecting, sir,” reported one of the two newcomers. “They have delivered the message and are clearly in league with the traitors.”

Recognising the blue-clad figures as agents of the Circle of Eight, I started to try to explain, smugly mentioning that we would hand ourselves in to Manzorian.

“You will get no closer to Manzorian than you are now,” cried the leader. “Men! Destroy them!”

He raised his hands and started to cast a spell but Flynne was swifter. Four arrows flew across the room in swift succession, pinning the mage’s arms solidly to the door before, with a gesture, Endo cast his spell of teleportation and we vanished from the room.

.oOo.

Upon our return to Mage Point, I used a scroll to send a small bird with a messenger to Cymria, Manzorian’s elven assistant who we had met previously. 3 hours later, she returned to the inn.

We were honest with her about the troubles we had gotten into with the Circle of Eight, and the possibility that the town’s chief enforcer was in league with traitors and assassins. She asked us to deal with the situation ‘discreetly’ before she vanished.

Seconds later, she reappeared in our midst looking pleased and expectant.

“Manzorian is back. He will see you now.”

.oOo.

We approached the spired tower along the long walkway, seeing trained bloodhawks circling over the battlements. The guardsmen were police and accompanied us to the study along hallways which sparkled and cried out opulence and wealth.

The study itself was lined with oak and a series of powerfully enchanted landscape paintings, whilst to one side of the broad blue carpet was a heavy desk littered with papers. Behind the desk sat Manzorian, a slim 60 year old man whose hair was greying at the temples. He wore a narrow scimitar buckled nearly at his side, and he stood to shake hands with us.

The conversation moved swiftly to prophecies; Manzorian was tremendously well informed and spoke confidently of the prophecies which would herald the Age or Worms. Apparently there were only two prophecies which had yet to be confirmed as completed, and our stories of Raknian and the three-faced demon beneath Diamond Lake’s mines seemed to match those perfectly.

We showed him the notes and items which we had collected, and learned that Dragotha was a massive undead red dragon of ages past, yet another herald of the Age of Worms.

When shown the Rod segment which we were still carrying, Manzorian understood our problems in an instant, and was keen to offer a solution – a trade of items. He took the rod off our hands and allowed us to choose from his tremendous selection of magical items.

After a while, I was the proud possessor of a new magical ring, and the others were all similarly pleased with their own new acquisitions.

As we sat before his desk, he told us more of the history behind the Age of Worms.

“Kyuss was once a priest, and ruler of the city of Kuluth-Mar,” he explained. “The city was controlled by evil gods, and the greatest of the priesthood created powerful undead, and Kyuss was the most powerful of these priests.

“I know of this history because of the researches of my comrade Balakard, a wizard of no small power. He made an extensive study of the city of Kuluth-Mar in the far-southern jungles. He learned of a site there called the Spire of Long Shadows, a tremendous ziggurat from which Kyuss took the long step to divinity.

“When I last saw Balakard, he was deeply excited and planning a trip to the north to pursue a lead there. It is likely that if you could find him, or even his journal, you would find a great deal more about what is going on. But to do that, you would have to follow the trail, as Balakard would not tell me where it was he was headed to. He had become extremely secretive and was simply not prepared to tell me what he was looking into or where he was going.”

We took our leave of the archmage, and headed south, pausing only to make good on our deal with Cymria and discreetly disposing of the guard captain, whose disintegrated ashes were spread on the winds across the city.

.oOo.

Teleporting to the outskirts of Kuluth-Mar with the help of one of Manzorian’s enchanted portraits, we found ourselves standing in the deepest jungle imaginable. Strange cries rent the thick muggy air, and the heat and moisture meant that our adventuring gear was soaked through within moments.

We picked our way through the thick undergrowth and crested a rise from which we could see the vista of a ruined city. Trees grew up and twined through the smashed buildings, and in the centre of the city was a solid black circle of darkest obsidian. In the middle of this ring stood the ziggurat, an ancient monument of crumbling stone from which rose an impossibly tall tower. Two spikes of solid stone protruded from the sides of the spire, seemingly ignoring gravity with the remaining mystical powers of the city.

The highest point of the spire was a jagged mess of broken stones; seemingly the entire peak of the spire had been torn away by some colossally powerful event in the past.

Chanting a series of eldritch syllables and making a number of complex gestures, Endo was shrouded by the cloak of a deathly figure, whilst dark spirits breathed their energies deep into his lungs. Finally, his skin seemed to age and dry up, cracking and splitting as his lips seemed to recede. His eyes sank into weathered and dessicated skin and he leered toothily around himself at the jungle. His hands, reduced to fleshless claws, flexed as though to test the extent of his grip under the effects of this new and loathsome magic.

We all took a few steps away from him, looking at one another nervously as we headed towards the necropolis of Kuluth-Mar, with a figure from our nightmares marching in our midst.

Eccles

Mage Armour was the shroud, False Life was the breathing, and we'll have to wait for Darmanicus to tell us what that godawful 'turns him into a lich in all but name' spell was - it's from some third party book that Morrus has let him play with!

Eccles

As we hacked through the undergrowth and reached the outskirts of the necropolis, I began to hear a faint sound, as though hundreds of voices on the wind were chanting in unison. As I span rapidly on the spot, I began to catch glimpses of figures kneeling and abasing themselves towards the ruined ziggurat.

I turned again to see what these spirits were worshipping, and blinked in amazement. The top of the blasted tower was somehow whole once again and the ruined buildings around me were miraculously whole once more. Seated on a massive green throne on the peak of the spire was an armour-clad man wearing a circlet across his temples. The chestplate of his Flann-wrought armour carried a symbol of a skull and scythe. The symbol of the death-god, Nerull.

A crackling light dazzled my vision briefly, and the frenzied chanting of the crowd rose to a new high. “Kyuss, Kyuss,” they cried and moaned in some religious ecstasy. The light burst brighter, and I squinted.

Abruptly, the city was silent and still – the chanting figures gone and the spire blasted apart once again.

.oOo.

We worked our way past fallen buildings towards the massive obsidian ring towards the centre and the ziggurat. As we moved forwards, Igmut cast a spell which he promised would conceal us from many forms of the undead, and with this in mind Flynne crept off ahead to scout the path.

He reported nothing, and in short order we reached the obsidian ring, which we could now see was carved in a repeating pattern. The words “Kyuss Forever Bound” wound together and repeated in runic script for the entire circumference of the colossal block of black stone.

As we got close to the ring, we noticed that the floor had begun to move gently. Tens of thousands of the tiny wriggling Kyuss-worms were strewn about the floor wriggling around bones and the roots of trees they made a thick and suitably gruesome carpet for the necropolis itself. As long as we kept moving the creatures were unable to get up our boots, and so we were safe unless we were restrained.

We climbed up into a building overlooking the ring, and could see that there were many more worms carpeting the inside as well. These were somewhat more active, creating an undulating white floor across the inside of the black walls; somehow the magic of the ziggurat was feeding and supporting the worms.

.oOo.

Casting another spell on himself, Igmut gingerly touched the wall, finding it to be cold but not otherwise life threatening. He climbed up, and Flynne scrambled up the wall to join him, and the two together helped the rest of us climb us using a knotted rope, before lowering us back down the other side.

The sharp-eyed elf declared that he could see something dark yet shimmering atop the ziggurat, and so we moved towards an entrance, our footsteps squelching messily into the worms as we moved.

The entrance to the ziggurat was reached without incident, but as we paused nearby, a skeletal armoured figure rounded one corner. The creature moved smoothly and powerfully, rather than the lurching and clumsy movements I had seen before from the undead. As it closed, we could see to our horror that the corpse positively dripped with the Kyuss-worms, and that two particularly fat specimens had taken root in its eye sockets. They snapped and gaped around the skeleton’s gaunt face as it closed rapidly towards us.

At its heels, trotting like obedient dogs were two massive fat beetles, which clicked rotting mandibles as they closed on us.

The skeletal figure dashed fast across the space between us and swung his broadsword down towards me, gashing my shoulder deeply. I yelled in pain and backed off, clutching the wound.

Flynne’s new bow sang, and its twin enchantments against the undead and evil beings caused serious damage to the figure. Endo yelled “Don’t hurt the beetles”, clearly with some plan of his own in mind.

With a gesture, the skeleton bellowed out “Hounds of Kyuss, attack!” The beetles clicked once more, and then crashed into Igmut’s heavily armoured form. The half orc responded by casting not one, but two spells, growing to massive size and turning to face the two beetles confidently. Endo, also in possession of a metamagic rod of quick-casting, cast two of his own spells, neither of which had any effect on the three large undead creatures attacking us, but in a heartbeat there was a sudden shudder which went through the white carpet under our feet, as every worm within 10 feet abruptly ceased moving and began to decay rapidly.

Stepping forwards, Maynard unleashed a flurry of blows at one of the beetles, and his fists and feet glanced off the thick chitinous plates which covered the rotting beetle.

The undead knight moved forwards, and Igmut’s massive sword slammed down, unleashing a tremendous burst of light which burned a huge chunk of decaying flesh free from the creature; it struck back with its sword.

I cast a spell of hastening, and Flynne began to fire his bow like a man possessed. Arrows slammed into the undead knight and the holy undead-bane bow punched smoothly though the knight’s armour leaving deep craters in its craggy rotting skin.

As beetles bit out and Maynard and Igmut dealing deep and savage wounds to the monk but clanging off Igmut’s new enchanted floating shield, Igmut turned and smacked two massive chunks of flesh from the knight.

Chanting, Endo cast a spell to halt the undead, which failed to have any effect on the knight, but the two beetles stopped abruptly in their tracks. The knight was equal to the situation, however, and he stepped across to the beasts and slapped them each in turn breaking them out of their motionless state. At the same instant, the two worms in his eye sockets stretched out and bit deep wounds into Igmut, drinking deeply and swelling like fat leeches as they absorbed much of his life essence. The knight somehow looked dramatically better, but Igmut had stopped moving.

Leaping over to my half orc friend, I dug a potion from his belt and scrambled up his armour to pour the liquid down his throat; I took another grievous wound from the undead knight as I did so, bit it was worth it as Igmut blinked dully and looked around him.

“Urrr – wossup?” he queried blankly. Clearly the potion had not restored all his faculties to him, but at least he could move and defend himself once again.

The two beetles scuttled forwards, but their mandibles simply scraped off Igmut’s heavy armour. Igmut responded instinctively, lashing out around him like a gigantic armour-clad sword-wielding baby in a tantrum. The enlarged sword, fully 7 feet of enchanted metal, cleaved through the knight, and Igmut chuckled.

Endo snatched a wand I had pulled out of my bag, and used it to fire a second copy of his own spell, halting the beetles in their rush forwards.

We stood before them and lined up our assault – Flynne firing a series of arrows through one which penetrated its brain and killed it. His last arrows smashed home into the second beetle, and it started towards us before Igmut’s tremendous sword shattered its exoskeleton and leaving it flattened and dead amidst the many tens of thousands of dead worms.

We recovered, caught our breath, and headed for the ziggurat once again.

Darmanicus

I'm Ray...of Enfeeblement
Eccles said:
Mage Armour was the shroud, False Life was the breathing, and we'll have to wait for Darmanicus to tell us what that godawful 'turns him into a lich in all but name' spell was - it's from some third party book that Morrus has let him play with!

Morrus is letting me play around with a book called 'Thee Compleat Librum ou Gar'Udok's Necromantic Arts' by 'Ambient Inc'.........and it's very cool!

He's chucking in 3 books throughout the campaign, (of which I have 2), which when then are all collected will comprise of the book in its entirety. So basically I have books 1 and 2 which allow me to learn spell levels 1-3 and 4-6 respectively at the moment as well as any of the other stuff such as feats etc. that I like.

In all honesty most of the stuff I couldn't realistically use because either the spells aren't for wizards, some spells are from my barred schools or they are downright evil stuff!!!

What I can use however is great and the book as a whole is a lot of fun.........if you happen to be a Necromancer obviously.

The spirits that pull and tear at existing wounds, making them bleed more, comes from 2 spells:-

Weeping Wounds, (1st Lv) - Basically, ranged touch attack which, if successful, will cause the target to suffer an additional 1d6 damage from any weapon or non-energy damage source. Only works on living tissue. No save and SR applies.

Visceral Wounds, (2nd Lv) - Ranged touch attack again, SR applies and there's a partial fort save which if made the target just suffers as per the 'Weeping Wounds' spell. If the save is failed however the target will also bleed 1hp/round for each attack augmented by the WW effect.

The Lich type spell as Mr Eccles likes to refer to it as is as follows:-

Mortification of the Flesh, (4th Lv) - Personal spell lasting 1hr/lv. Gives you the appearance of a dessicated corpse and sustains your body without functional organs, (apart from the brain), for the duration. Additionally when subject to a crit, the confirmation roll must also be within the weapons crit range!!!

Awesome.

The_Warlock

Explorer
Darmanicus said:
Morrus is letting me play around with a book called 'Thee Compleat Librum ou Gar'Udok's Necromantic Arts' by 'Ambient Inc'.........and it's very cool!

Awesome.

That was a fabulous resource book for converting the Necromancer College of Skull City in Return to the Tomb of Horrors to 3E.

Go, Go, Necromancer!!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads