• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Algernon Files in stores now!

Longshadow

First Post
A quick heads up for all you intrepid M&M fans in these parts. The Algernon Files Vol. One is in stores now. A 128 page B&W hardback chock full of charactery M&M goodness, complete with new feats, some power expansions, and a heapin' helpful of really cool maps. An essential part of your morning breakfast...er...um...I mean, your M&M game. ;)

You can head over to the M&M boards proper (www.mutantsandmasterminds.com) to read the comments from a lot of very happy customers, or over to our website at www.blackwyrm.com to pick up a bunch of preview downloads and web enhancements. If all of that doesn't sell you, we've also got a real nice review up at RPG.net from the author of a (rival) M&M book.

Remember to tell your FLGS, "Make Mine Blackwyrm!"

Jeremy757

First Post
I saw this at Lone Star and thought it looked pretty good. But never having heard of it before did not pick it up until I could come back here and get some feed back on it from people here.

Ill check out the M&M boards and the review.

Psion

Adventurer
I got a review copy but it probably won't be up for a couple of weeks. But you might want to keep your eyes open.

mistergone

First Post
I saw this today. Looked through it. Some of the art is okay, and I like the character stat layouts. Otherwise, it's basically someone's home-brew supers universe published. Lucky them. Hey, if I could do it I would too. I didn't see a price on the cover, but I guessed it was prolly too much for what it was.

For M&M, it has to be something that really kocks my socks off for me to feel like I must get it. So far, no SuperLink product I have seen has made me feel it's a "must have". Which is disappoiting, I was hoping with the introduction of SuperLink we'd see some great ideas come to light. So far... eh.

Longshadow

First Post
I didn't see a price on the cover, but I guessed it was prolly too much for what it was.

$24.95, which is on the back. And for a hardback 128 page book packed as full of stuff as TAF is, we like to think that's a pretty reasonable price.

Which is disappoiting, I was hoping with the introduction of SuperLink we'd see some great ideas come to light. So far... eh.

So...exactly what are you looking for in a superlink product?

Jeremy757

First Post
Longshadow said:
So...exactly what are you looking for in a superlink product?

Although this seems like a good book and a good value. I just cant see myself buying another book with a bunch of superheros. (Well at least not until I start up my next campaign) But thats just my gaming style I don't like my game world clutered up with a menagerie of superheros. I like my players to feel like they are members of an elite group. A superhero game doesn't always have to focus on superheros and supervillans. What I would like to see in sourcebooks are all the non-super organizations and societies that effect the lives of the players' characters. The groups that for the most part are run by normal men and women but have great influence and resources. Like in DC comics there is the DEO, Star Labs, Checkmate, Kobra, etc. Also what would the CDC, CIA, FBI, & FEMA be like in a M&M game. I think a source book covering a US government in a age of superheros would be interesting.

0-hr

Starship Cartographer
Honestly, there are so many free previews and web enhancements on the BlackWyrm website that it's easy to see what this book is like, even without ever touching a copy. From the "Extras" page you can see some characters, one of the map pages (one of the smaller ones actually) and every piece of hero art in the book (in color no less):

http://www.blackwyrm.com/Extras.htm

If you want a hundred or so well-thought-out heroes and villains, complete with teams, bases, and a coherent background, then this is a great buy. But if that's not what you're looking for, then certainly the $25 can be better spent elsewhere.

Anyway, I'd recommend just hitting the site and judging for yourself.

0-hr

Starship Cartographer
Bill Scott said:
What are the quality of the maps? Details please
Check out the "Color Art" from the Extras page. There you can see the exterior art for the locations that are mapped (though you can't see the actual maps). In the hardcopy book, there are complete maps provided for the following locations:

From "Allies":
- Fortress (the HQ shown on the cover)
- Aerie HQ (this is shown in the free preview .pdf)
- the Covenant Chapter House

From "Enemies"
- Cathedral
- Elysium (moon base)
and there is also a nightclub that doesn't have exterior art (because it has no exterior)

The Aerie preview is representative of the quality and detail, though most of the other maps take up more page space.

Karl Green

First Post
I picked it up this weekend, good stuff. I thought the maps where very nices, and it was cool that all the write-ups look correct. Good job

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads