• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Art of Eberron: AWESOME new WOTC Update!

rounser

First Post
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
I find it hard to believe that something the Romans possessed two thousand years ago would break the disbelief of anyone worth playing an RPG with.
Plumbing they had. Magical plumbing (i.e. using magic to emulate technology) they didn't have. I notice you haven't addressed the idea of magical cars or machine guns, but have only seized on the plumbing thing.
I think people who object to some of the elements of Eberron are trying to project their own objections onto the general playerbase as a whole, whether they realize it or not.
I was replying to someone's assertion, which I was commenting on as, IMO, flawed. I also think that calls some of the setting's ability to suspend disbelief into question, but that may not be the case for you, and we haven't seen it published yet. Doesn't mean potential anachronisms can't be discussed though.

Last edited:

Klaus

First Post
Magic machine guns = wand of magic missile (at caster level 9th, that's 50 charges firing 5 missiles each, with unerringly accuracy). The Chainmail miniatures had a dwarf mini called "Lightning Lancer", some sort of low-level dwarf wizard with an oversized wand of lightining bolt.

Magic cars = carriages that can cast "mount" once per day (at caster level 4th, the horse stays for 8 hours straight)

I'm liking the feel of Eberron the more I see it.

rounser

First Post
No. I mean magic machine guns are literally magic machine guns in terms of form, with magic to make them work, not magic wands, which are in-genre and usually an accepted part of a generic swords & sorcery world. Form matters - I'd assume that many would balk at a magic rocket launcher, but not a wand of fireballs. Likewise, a magic broom or flying carpet is not equivalent to a magic jetplane in terms of suspension of disbelief.

Last edited:

Hellcow

Adventurer
Utrecht said:
That all being said, your basic premise is correct - it is quite a bit easier to refine know ideas that develop brand new ones.
That is the fundamental idea here. It may take some suspension of disbelief, but there it is. A few more points:

* I'd have to argue with the statement that "everyone can use medieval firearms"... at least effectively. If you handed me a black powder rifle and some gunpowder right now, I'm sure I wouldn't load it correctly the first time. Goodness knows how long it would take for me to develop accuracy with a cannon. Then, you add in the possibility of misfire, wet powder, etc. So, these weapons can be used by a trained individual without magical ability. However, as has been noted, magical ability can be taught; this is the whole point of arcane magic and its place in Eberron. Full wizards may be rare, but magewrights are more common. Are they as common as warriors? No. But it's not difficult to find a 1st-level magewright to act as your bombadier.

* A musket can misfire or end up with wet powder. A flaming crossbow will always perform as expected. Both can be used by any trained warrior. I know how to create a flaming crossbow. Am I going to start searching for a less reliable way of replicating the same effect, or try to find a way to enchant weapons cheaper and more efficiently? If I've already got a technique that works, why try an entirely different approach?

* The observation about the lightning rail makes sense... IF there is a culture somewhere using gunpowder. If this is the case, the increased level of traffic and communication between nations should cause the idea to spread throughout cultures. But if the idea doesn't exist in any of the cultures, how will travel cause it to spring into being?

* Finally, to go into metagame and actually echo critics of Eberron: I just don't want guns in my D&D. I want swords & sorcery, not guns & sorcery. Eberron has tried to logically expand on the things that already exist in D&D; for me, guns have never been a part of that.

Does that address the issue more directly, or am I still being to oblique? :)

Triumph

First Post
Hellcow said:
That is the fundamental idea here. It may take some suspension of disbelief, but there it is. A few more points:

* I'd have to argue with the statement that "everyone can use medieval firearms"... at least effectively. If you handed me a black powder rifle and some gunpowder right now, I'm sure I wouldn't load it correctly the first time. Goodness knows how long it would take for me to develop accuracy with a cannon. Then, you add in the possibility of misfire, wet powder, etc. So, these weapons can be used by a trained individual without magical ability. However, as has been noted, magical ability can be taught; this is the whole point of arcane magic and its place in Eberron. Full wizards may be rare, but magewrights are more common. Are they as common as warriors? No. But it's not difficult to find a 1st-level magewright to act as your bombadier.
Everyone can use muskets. It just takes a little instruction. Very little. Yeah, you might not be able to intuit it. But if you thought about it for a few minutes it probably would become pretty clear. Just don't tamp the powder in too hard. The point is, is that it has a set of limitations that is different than a wand (or what have you), not the least of which is cost. A mage or magewrite can only make so many wands they cost not only time, expensive raw materials but "experience", but any moderately competent metalsmith, certainly any capable of producing any halfway decent sword, could produce a great many tubes for guns. I could really go off, it's not like metalworking isn't some area of particular expertise. Which costs only time and cheap materials. And by all accounts less time.

Does a flaming crossbow cost about one months pay, that's pretty close to what quality firearms have tended to cost. No it costs more than even a modestly ranked soldier might expect to earn over many years. And while a wand has certain logistical advantages, small to carry. It's still disproportionately expensive. A middle ages shootist could carry all the shot, powder, and wadding he'd need to shoot all day. Bowmen would be firing far more arrows than they could carry. So despite some of the advantages they had, their great cost proved their undoing. And that's against pretty modest firearms before they had a decent muzzel velocity and spin stabilized.

But back to proficency with the weapons. That's, oddly enough, profided for via DnD's system. (I saved this for last.) Just and I could pick up a sword and get by, and maybe even manage to kill some one in a drunken rage or just stand outside a convienece store getting blasted with a firehose. I'd be ill advised to walk into a kendo class and take on any comers, even the sickly or infirmed. If I want to be a marksman I take an exotic weapon proficency, which is wasted on essentially an afternoons worth of instruction. The rest is how much practice I seem to regularly get, accounted for in my bab, and my natural gifts as embodied in my dex bonus. But unlike a sword, or even a long bow. I hardly need a lifetimes worth of practice to become very adept at reloading swiftly and being able to very reliably hit targets within at least the first range category of the weapon. Such unaimed volleys aren't well provided for within the d20 system, but when you've got cannons pointed at the castle or the other ship where you can't miss, they're pretty dang effective. Again, to do that and do it very well, I don't need to know much, or invest much beyond very cheap material.

Hellcow said:
* A musket can misfire or end up with wet powder. A flaming crossbow will always perform as expected. Both can be used by any trained warrior. I know how to create a flaming crossbow. Am I going to start searching for a less reliable way of replicating the same effect, or try to find a way to enchant weapons cheaper and more efficiently? If I've already got a technique that works, why try an entirely different approach?

To claim that people naturally glom onto what looks like the best idea, or even the only idea in the race, is to completely ignore the world around you. Even now people are still, and have been furiously working to replace "modern" rimfire cartridges with everything from stable explosive plastics or gels, to liquids, that crazy "Metalstorm" technology, and (in the case of at least one DARPA project and Akira) man portable laser weapons. But not to be left out, the Airforce wants to install 100kw lasers as the gun armament on the F-22 replacing the M-61 Vulcan cannon. Even now, with as advanced as our firearms are, people are not content to just "refine" them, even with the many billions of dollars sunk into them. People aren't content to just be more or less content.

In a world where the people in the mob are made up of extras, and not people, that probably works as an abbreviated convention for telling many stories. But for me that's pretty much where the great opportunity is lost too. I don't think I've ever really come close to that lofty goal myself, but it is something I've almost always aspired too.

Hellcow said:
* The observation about the lightning rail makes sense... IF there is a culture somewhere using gunpowder. If this is the case, the increased level of traffic and communication between nations should cause the idea to spread throughout cultures. But if the idea doesn't exist in any of the cultures, how will travel cause it to spring into being?
Gunpowder is charcoal, sulfer, and potasium nitrate, all of which are very common. You can get potasium nitrate from the white woodash you inadvertainly made either making charcoal or using that charcoal to make say a steel sword, or even an iron nail from the local smith.

Charcoal, well everyone knows and has that. No one has a gas furnace in their home :) Sulfer of course likely mentioned in some spell componants, and should be part of a healing kit or so I would imagine in the PHB. (On page 231 of the PHB 3.5 ed, Sulfer is mentioned twice! once as brimstone and once, in the case of "Fireball" with bat guano which maps nicely to saltpeter/quick salt/potasium nitrate.)

The common compounds all used, together, in alchemy under a system that provides for it in a culture that encourages it, and no one managed to find a new way to make fire interesting. That sort of stretches the bound of credability. But it's not a coincidence that it's first recorded uses are in China. The only superpower of it's age. They even had handguns and rockets with shrapnel by the 13th century. The fertility of their soil, and the might of their culture civilized even those who managed to conqure them. One might even say it was a quirk of geography that led the european powers to perfect projecting power abroad at the expense of such innovations, while China had exacty the opposite inclinations. Eberron, was a huge peaceful kingdom united however tenuously (china had it's warring states period) for a period without catastrophy, and once more they had the lightning rail.

Hellcow said:
* Finally, to go into metagame and actually echo critics of Eberron: I just don't want guns in my D&D. I want swords & sorcery, not guns & sorcery. Eberron has tried to logically expand on the things that already exist in D&D; for me, guns have never been a part of that.
I don't either, unless we're going a special Vacation in Gamma World episode. And there are reasons, magic itself, as a concept doesn't work. But those are forgiven as part of the suspention of disbelief. But that good ideas, and reasonable questions are ignored for the sake of moving the story along, aren't. Just because the busty, mean girl has to be chased down in the woods (while wearing a matching bra and panty ensamble from Victoria's Secret) to advance many a slasher movie doesn't make the decision to go out to the lake shore to have a skinny dip while everyone else discusses what connection the mutilated body has with the story of the escaped serial killer any better, or the writers any less lazy. To me, calling a "Cliche" an obligation a reader must accept under the guise of Suspending Disbelief while wrapping one's self in a wrap around painting by Wayne Reynold's sounds pretty dull no matter how sweet it looks. It's just one of those things. I'm gonna go drink a sprite.

Last edited:

s/LaSH

First Post
Art is good. I'm quite impressed with the flavour in all the little snippets they're putting out.

Triumph said:
[The Chinese] even had handguns and rockets with shrapnel by the 13th century.
Yes, about a thousand years after gunpowder was invented.

We're used to progress today, but for almost all of human history it was not the norm. I see no reason not to simply assume that nobody really cared about this technology, especially since so many alternatives were available. If Eberron was a big peaceful magic kingdom in the not-too-distant past, there would be no need for powder - if you want to blast a rockface, you drop a fireball in there, or Stone To Mud it, whatever. And realistically, you don't blast a rockface all that often per day.

In addition, there's a very real force called competition which affects all technological development. I bet most of you are still using cathode ray tubes to read this post, despite the fact that liquid crystal displays and plasma screens have been around quite a while - the development of these competing technologies drove CRT manufacturers to make their products better, cheaper than the competition at roughly the same performance.

Or consider the car - the exterior has changed incredibly since the horseless carriage was first invented, yet the internal combustion engine is almost exactly the same as it was a hundred years ago. (I know there have been advances in various aspects of the tech, but nothing revolutionary like turboprop and jet engines in aircraft design.) Everyone knows there are alternatives - electric hybrids, fuel cells, that type that runs on water - but nobody uses them. Why not? Do we not live in an age of progress?

(Back to the point.) There are advantages to muskets, and gunpowder would certainly be easy to make in a D&D setting. However, the barrel of a musket or cannon is another matter entirely. Does anyone know how long it took to discover that bores were better than cast barrels? That's why the first cannons were bombards, huge cauldron-like affairs - they could survive firing. Only when barrel technology was refined over the centuries could hand-cannons be realistically and safely constructed.

Then again, why not use adamantite or something to make the barrels? Heh. That's not helping my argument, is it?

To round out my comments, ever read The Guardians Of The Flame, by Joel Rosenberg? I will now SPOIL. They have magical firearms in there. They just, um, boil down water into a fine powder - it expands into steam when exposed to moisture. Same principle as gunpowder - explosive expansion. But what does this change in society? Nothing, really. The principle users of the technology are the Slaver's Guild. The only reason they're using them is that the heroes have gunpowder, and they want to be able to equal them on the field of battle...

Snapdragyn

Explorer
Two points:

Firstly, if the concept of firearms & the invention of gunpowder are both so simple, why did we not see the these innovations arise independently in every culture from the Babylonians to the Romans, from the Aztecs to the Inca? Even the Chinese used gunpowder for visual & auditory effects rather than loading it into barrels to move things at dangerous speeds for hundreds of years.

Secondly, you assume that every advanced culture must follow the same technological path -- even in a world with such radically different physics that 'magic' (whatever force of physics that might be) exists, works, & is really fairly common. Yet in our own history, the Roman Empire survived for hundreds of years without developing gunpowder, the Egyptians built monuments which still stand today & yet never discovered the arch, & the Greeks laid the foundations of geometry without having a numerical concept for zero (iirc). The process of technological advancement is not simply 'start at a, proceed through b to c'; it is very much driven by, & a product of, the culture in which it arises. Recognizing this & deriving a unique culture with unique technology for a unique world hardly seems 'cliche' to me; I cannot say the same of the opposite assumption.

Dragonblade

Adventurer
Snapdragyn is right on.

The culture that invented gunpowder didn't ever really use it as a weapon and the culture that did turn it into a weapon, didn't invent it.

The Roman Empire had the knowledge and ability to invent the steam engine, but never did. The Aztecs hadn't even invented the wheel by the time Cortez came and single-handedly brought down their empire, but had the same history of constant warfare as Europe.

The point is that gunpowder is by no means a natural step in the evolution of technology. Different worlds develop in different ways. I find it perfectly believable that gunpowder was never invented or never came into widespread use in a world with or without magic.

In fact, the addition of magic would further act to stunt the development of pure technological science, IMO. One doesn't need to seek out innovative ways of blowing up one's enemies when fireball wielding mages are a known and established military tactic.

Hellcow

Adventurer
Triumph said:
But that good ideas, and reasonable questions are ignored for the sake of moving the story along, aren't. Just because the busty, mean girl has to be chased down in the woods (while wearing a matching bra and panty ensamble from Victoria's Secret) to advance many a slasher movie doesn't make the decision to go out to the lake shore to have a skinny dip while everyone else discusses what connection the mutilated body has with the story of the escaped serial killer any better, or the writers any less lazy. To me, calling a "Cliche" an obligation a reader must accept under the guise of Suspending Disbelief while wrapping one's self in a wrap around painting by Wayne Reynold's sounds pretty dull no matter how sweet it looks. It's just one of those things. I'm gonna go drink a sprite.
*shrug* So does it bother you that over the course of 3,000 years of the third age of Middle Earth men never developed guns? Would you rather that the War of the Ring had been fought with cannons? Should Elric have had a black blunderbuss instead of a black blade? Heck, Elric was the 428th emperor, and Melnibone was advanced in the arts of magic -- why hadn't they developed muskets as well? In Song of Ice & Fire, the history of the First Men stretches back 12,000 years, but they have no guns. And I am the happier for it. I don't read these books and say "But why haven't they developed GUNS?"

You may call it lazy, but the fact of the matter is that I don't feel obliged to explain the presence or absence of every human invention in Eberron; even if we had the space in the book, there are many other things I would prefer to explore. So China developed gunpowder weapons in the 13th century. Rome, Egypt, and many earlier advanced civilizations did not -- and they weren't even devoting their scholarly energy on the further development of magic. And as I said earlier in this thread, while some of the magical conveniences of the world may have a 19th century feel, Eberron is not in any way the equivalent of 19th century Earth.

The bottom line is that with Eberron we are trying to create an interesting fantasy world and to explore certain aspects of fantasy that are not always taken into consideration. In my eyes, guns move things away from fantasy and more towards reality. Again, I look to books I have enjoyed for inspiration. Tolkein put a great deal of thought into the history of his world; just because it doesn't match the history of our world doesn't make me think of him as "lazy".

So I'm afraid that in this case, Eberron simply may not be the world for you. Sorry!

Dragonblade said:
Snapdragyn is right on.

The culture that invented gunpowder didn't ever really use it as a weapon and the culture that did turn it into a weapon, didn't invent it.

The Roman Empire had the knowledge and ability to invent the steam engine, but never did. The Aztecs hadn't even invented the wheel by the time Cortez came and single-handedly brought down their empire, but had the same history of constant warfare as Europe.

You made me think of an even better example. The Aztecs knew *alot* about metallurgy, but didn't use metal for weapons or tools.

Remove ads