D&D 5E (+) The Athamir, or The Swordmage as The Ritual Blade

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Sorry, I had a call...you asked about ATLA and the White Lotus...

ATLA = "Avatar: the Last Airbender." Within that world was a secret ancient (hermetic?) organization of elders that transcended/was composed of members of all of the various elemental nations called....yup, Order of the White Lotus.

Doesn't matter since you're changing it, with which I am glad to have [if I] helped. Like the new names.

Keep at it. Have fun.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Sorry, I had a call...you asked about ATLA and the White Lotus...

ATLA = "Avatar: the Last Airbender." Within that world was a secret ancient (hermetic?) organization of elders that transcended/was composed of members of all of the various elemental nations called....yup, Order of the White Lotus.

Doesn't matter since you're changing it, with which I am glad to have [if I] helped. Like the new names.

Keep at it. Have fun.
Aaah, ok. I wonder if the name was used in the show or in D&D first lol.

I like where the class is at now. I’ll add some things, make changes based on this thread, and clean things up and do some flavor work, and post the revision in a couple days.

doctorbadwolf

Moved some stuff around. Ditched the second expertise feature. If I end up taking evasion out, I might bring 2nd expertise back.

Level 11 has a placeholder, which is making a level 1 action spell only take a bonus action pb/day.

Moved Furious Assault to the optional techniques, and moved Focused Strike to level 5. Ditched slow fall.

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
It's a cool mechanical concept. I might have leaned more into Pact Magic or classic vancian Spellcasting than creating an entirely new spellcasting mechanic (seems similar to DMG's Spellpoints, but I'm not sure how balanced it is yet; will need to review more). Based on some of the classes' narrative hooks, I would think a Half-Pact Magic warrior might make sense, if you're interested in rearranging some things! Not telling you to re-do it entirely differently though. I assume the spell list is still coming together since it's not in the document?

Note about spells known and spell book - Do you know the spells or do you copy spells into your spellbook? Are you a Sorcerer/Bard spells known sort of caster or a Wizard spells reviewed? I assume you're not a Cleric/Paladin/Druid "pick from spell list each day" since you have spells known as a feature and spellbook as a feature, but I'd suggest clarifying this by choosing one or the other?

doctorbadwolf

It's a cool mechanical concept. I might have leaned more into Pact Magic or classic vancian Spellcasting than creating an entirely new spellcasting mechanic (seems similar to DMG's Spellpoints, but I'm not sure how balanced it is yet; will need to review more). Based on some of the classes' narrative hooks, I would think a Half-Pact Magic warrior might make sense, if you're interested in rearranging some things! Not telling you to re-do it entirely differently though. I assume the spell list is still coming together since it's not in the document?
The spell list is being modified, for sure. As for pact magic, I really like using a point system because it allows spells and martial techniques and techniques that mix the two to all run on the same resource.
Note about spells known and spell book - Do you know the spells or do you copy spells into your spellbook? Are you a Sorcerer/Bard spells known sort of caster or a Wizard spells reviewed? I assume you're not a Cleric/Paladin/Druid "pick from spell list each day" since you have spells known as a feature and spellbook as a feature, but I'd suggest clarifying this by choosing one or the other?
The intent is to mix the spellbook and spells known. Basically you need the book to learn new spells, esoteric techniques, or new aegis forms, but you don’t prepare spells. So you learn few automatically, can learn more in play, and once you know it you just know it.

That may lead to a vastly more broad spell toolkit than other spellcasters, though. I just really like the idea that you go out and learn new techniques the hard way, and then you just always know them. May have to switch back to preparing from a known list like a wizard, though.

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
The spell list is being modified, for sure. As for pact magic, I really like using a point system because it allows spells and martial techniques and techniques that mix the two to all run on the same resource.

The intent is to mix the spellbook and spells known. Basically you need the book to learn new spells, esoteric techniques, or new aegis forms, but you don’t prepare spells. So you learn few automatically, can learn more in play, and once you know it you just know it.

That may lead to a vastly more broad spell toolkit than other spellcasters, though. I just really like the idea that you go out and learn new techniques the hard way, and then you just always know them. May have to switch back to preparing from a known list like a wizard, though.
Why not just go with whenever you level up, you automatically learn two spells to put in your book?

You could put a separate note in the write-up that when you level up, you can choose a spell that is always prepared (essentially, known), but then you get into the issue they resolved with Tasha's by letting character's swap up their spell lists with long rests and/or level ups.

doctorbadwolf

Why not just go with whenever you level up, you automatically learn two spells to put in your book?
They already do learn 1 per level (half what a wizard learns), so it’s close. They learn esoteric techniques less often, about 1 every 3 levels.
You could put a separate note in the write-up that when you level up, you can choose a spell that is always prepared (essentially, known), but then you get into the issue they resolved with Tasha's by letting character's swap up their spell lists with long rests and/or level ups.
Yeah like I said I may have to switch to prepared spells. It just doesn’t quite fit the fiction as well as known spells, but it does fit the ritualist flavor, so idk.

Good feedback, I’ll tinker more after work, probably post the updated document (with spell list and example esoteric techniques and aegis forms) later in the week.

No.

Wiccans neither invented the term, nor have they ever been the only people using it, nor is Wicca a culture. The term comes from the lesser key of Solomon, by way of the Order of The Golden Dawn and Alistair Crowley.
regardless, i don't see a difference between this and the phylactery "controversy" of a while ago.

doctorbadwolf

regardless, i don't see a difference between this and the phylactery "controversy" of a while ago.
You don't see the difference between appropriation of an article of faith from an oft persecuted marginalised culture, and using a word that comes from a hermetic alchemical writing that was then used by European occultists and then appropriated by wicca from that occultist usage?

Regardless, your qotations seem to imply that you don't see said controversy as legitimate, which in turn suggests that you are just trolling, and don't actually care about the subject at hand.

Remove ads