The (bad) Luck of the Rogue

Zinovia

Explorer
He was a 9th level halfling rogue. He had it all: clever hands, mad skillz, chutzpah, and charm. Able to wrangle combat advantage in practically any situation, his enemies feared his deadly blade. Or would have, if the Dice Gods had not chosen to wreak their terrible vengeance upon our benighted hero.

Rolling a 1 with a daily power, he invoked the power of his trusty Luck Blade to reroll. Another 1. Cursing in frustration at the cruel whims of fate, he tossed a fate point card at the DM, to roll yet again with a different D20. His incredulous party cried out in dismay as the die turned up a 1 yet again. The DM told him to forget that roll and do it over, in an effort to ameliorate the effects of the curse that had apparently befallen him. He rolled a 4, which was just enough to hit with the bonuses granted by the taclord and combat advantage. Hoping fervently that the Dice Gods had been appeased, everyone continued their struggle to save the women and children who had been abducted by the magically altered trolls.

About two rounds later, our dashing young rogue managed to fumble his rapier not once, but twice more. The trolls might have fallen over laughing at his apparent ineptitude had the swordmage and fighter not been keeping them too busy. After rolling a 2 and a 3 on his next attacks, the player declared that dice all hate him, and he would use the dice-rolling app on his smartphone in the next fight, this one having been won by the heroes after a valiant struggle.

He opened the app and made a trial D20 roll. It was a 1.

So can anyone recommend a good remove curse ritual in real life? Nothing involving dead roosters or expensive reagents please. ;) j/k. Seriously, I have never seen such a run of piss-poor luck in one fight. Ever. This guy often has bad dice karma, but literally five 1's, and about four other rolls of 4 or less in one fight. What's a DM to do? It sure made the fight drag out longer than it should have.

Theo R Cwithin

I cast "Baconstorm!"
I've heard that a way to remove an evil eye is to wash oneself seven times with a handful of sugar.

Thus, on the off chance the run of bad luck is the result of the evil eye, I'd suggest that the dice (or maybe the player?) need a good dousing in sugar (or other natural sweetener). Each ritual washing should be accompanied by a verse renouncing one of the 7 most egregious nat 1s (or other bad rolls) suffered by the player/character. The sugar used in the cleansing ritual (and now which now contains the curse's essence) should then be baked into a cake and buried in the lawn by candle light under a 3rd-quarter moon, and an armed garden gnome placed atop the spot to maintain a vigil for a year and a day.

I have a player who always has that happen to him. His d20 Modern character simply maxed out his attack bonus so he could hit sometimes.

For myself, I always seem to roll high on d20s recently, no matter which game. In Warhammer, I tend to make skill rolls but roll really badly on damage.

possum

First Post
Well, my rogues have never been that unlucky... They have, however, have had a particular rough time in sneaking out of a place once they've snuck in and scouted it out for the rest of the party.

Vael

Legend
There was a party-wide streak of bad rolls last week during the Encounters session. The table I had DMed had finished up with the party mopping the floor with the monsters, but the monsters had managed to get a few nice shots in. The other table, however, had eliminated all but the last Kobold Slinger, who attempted to hide in a crevice on some small boulders. The party proceeded to be unable to climb the rocks up to the Kobold, unable to hit the Kobold, and even make the heal checks to revive the fallen wizard. There was literally a round of the PCs making multiple checks and attacks not rolling above a 3.

Vurt

First Post
I have very rarely witnessed three 20's in a row, which is usually cause for much jubilation around the table but...

A few weeks ago, something incredible happened when one of my players, playing a mid-level hasted (Pathfinder) ranger, decided to use Rapid Shot with his longbow against a bebelith, one of his favored enemies. I quickly crunched his average damage in my head, and resolved myself that the monster wouldn't live to see the end of the ranger's turn.

The player then proceeded to roll five 1's in a row, one for each of his arrows. Everyone was dumbstruck at this extreme display of suckitude, the odds of it happening being 1 in 3.2 million.

On Puget Sound

First Post
Right now in our PBP game "A Paid Trip to Spellhold" we're undergoing a skill challenge to sail a ship through a fierce storm. Apparently the storm has washed away all the double digits from our d20s, and we're all going to drown because none of us can roll over a 5. Seriously, check out the last 3 pages or so of this thread and laugh at our misfortune.

Remove ads