• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Band of Four (The Village of Oester)

Jon Potter said:
Hmmm...

Spider dragon...

I like it. I may have to steal that one.

Feel free. :)

Originally I was going to have drow or duergar riders, but I decided on somthing a little "bigger" :D

Which only begs the question what do you do when your mount is smarter than you are? :D

BTW the next update will be up very soon. :)

The morghoul drops Gothmog as Alriand claws at the creature's eyes. The morghoul tries in vain to get Alriand off of it's back, Alriand sinks her teeth into the back of the morghoul. Gothmog hits the ground with a sickening thud. Unable to dislodge Alriand, the morghoul takes off in flight straight towards the tower.

Rebrey decides he's waited long enough and descends the hole in the roof although the air is heavy with smoke, it's not over powering yet. Rebrey just hopes he doesn't have to deal with any combat distractions on the way down.

The morghoul turns it's body slightly and rams Alriand into the side of the tower with it's body. Alriand maintains her grip, even as the morghoul begins to fall. Alriand begins to drink up the inky black blood of the morghoul, sucking up the disgusting fluid like it was sugar to a fly. The morghoul hits the ground with Alriand riding it's back. Partially protected from the fall by the morghoul, Alriand rolls of the creature, and bends down, grabs the beast by the neck, and lifts it's neck to her lips. Driven on by a supernatural urge to feed off it's blood, Alriand sinks her teeth into it's shadowy flesh.

Rebrey finally makes it out of the tower, and comes upon Alriand sitting with Gothmog laid out on the ground. Alriand's mouth is covered in a dark substance that seems to trail down the front of her neck. Another dark figure lays face down in the snow about forty feet from Rebrey's right. The handful of zombies Rebrey managed to kill prior to entering the tower, look like were fried by some great electrical force, and then frozen and snowed on again. Rebrey walks towards Alriand and Gothmog, and while yesterday he would've sworn Alriand had a black heart, now when her tried to read her aura he got a nonreading. Unsure of what that means Rebrey feels a little relieved that there's no inherent evil present within Alriand, at least that he could detect anyway. He still felt extremely uneasy around her, she was changed that was for sure, hoping for the better.

"I see you made it down safely, how bad is he hurt?" Rebrey asked Alriand

"I don't know, he's still breathing, but I think he's got a lot of broken bones, and I know he's bleeding internally." Alriand responds

"How do you know that?" Rebrey inquires almost not wanting to know the answer to that

"Every once in a while he'll cough up some blood, do you think he'll make it?" Alriand asks

"I'm a righteous defender of creation, not a cleric. I will say a prayer for him though." Rebrey tells Alriand

"Where's Tharhack?" Alriand asks

"On the other side of the tower. I don't know if he's waiting for us or if he's on his way, we'll have to decide that soon." Rebrey answers

Rebrey says a prayer for Gothmog, and goes to inspect the crash site of Emthur. Alriand stays behind to watch over Gothmog. Reaching the blasted site, Rebrey finds bones shattered and scattered all around a center of blackened earth. At the center is a lone skull, with a gray beard still attached. Rebrey turns to leave, but something catches his eye. Unable to put his finger on what, Rebrey stares at the skull, but sees nothing. He then notices that the pieces of bone that were sent flying into the snow, appear to have tracks behind them like they were dragged through the snow back towards the skull. Rebrey's heart drops, as he realizes that Emthur's body is reforming.

Rebrey gives the skull a couple whacks with his heavy flail, shattering it and scattering some of the pieces into the snow. Rebrey hurries back to Alriand.

"We have to get moving." Rebrey says putting an arm under Alriand's shoulder and lifting her up off the ground.

"Why what's wrong?" Alriand asks

"Emthur's not dead, and he'll be back for an encore. I don't know how long we have, but I don't want to be here when he awakens again." Rebrey replies

"What about Gothmog? He can't walk, and I'm not so sure we should be carrying him." Alriand asks

"We're going to have to risk carrying him. Lets try and build a stretcher or sled, that will help." Rebrey tells Alriand, who runs to the forest's edge looking for branches to be used by them.

"Would it be safe to say you still have some anger issues?" Ageanent asks Empythacoreaus

The pit fiend snorts at the comment, then proceeds to Charekyal's globe and beats it down.

"Thank you for freeing me, I could never imagine that my master would decipher those notes, and then imagine the spell would even work. I am both pleased and saddened for you." Charekyal tells Empythacoreaus

"I suggest we leave this place, before something comes looking for their lost succubus." the pit fiend offers

"Agreed, although I still want to know what is on the top floor of this place." Tharhack announces

"The workshop is up there." Charekyal answers

The three men give each other a look, and each grins in unison.

"Really? Well, I think we should investigate this workshop. If the makings of this magic still exist in a readable form, I may have found my new purpose in life." Empythacoreaus replies

Not one to argue with a pit fiend, Ageanent heartedly agrees. Tharhack hopes the means to cast this spell have not been lost, and although the pit fiend appears to be redeemed. Tharhack wonders how easy it could be for the pit fiend to be tempted by hell. For he knows that hell will not stand for a righteous pit fiend, in fact maybe hell knows more than even the two known casters of this spell how this will turn out.

Empythacoreaus leads the way flying up the stairs carrying Charekyal, and reaching the level with the eye sockets, and waiting patiently for Tharhack and Ageanent to make their way up the stairs. Tharhack comes to the wet stones at the top of the stairs, and thanks Charekyal for saving his life. Charekyal smiles back.

"At least it worked." Charekyal replies

"That it did, I have many questions to ask you." Tharhack tells Charekyal

"Yes, I knew that you would. Let's wait until we are away from this place though, too many awful memories." Charekyal tells Tharhack, who nods in agreement.

Tharhack and the freed "prisoners" make their way to the fourth floor of the skull structure, the circular room at one time was probably amongst the finest research chambers on the prime. At some point there was a battle in this room, a few skeletons, coupled with strewn weapons, broken glass, scraps of aged parchment, and splinters of wood litter the floor.

"This place is a mess, how are we to find anything here?" Ageanent asks

"My master kept his treasured possessions stashed away from those who would try and steal from him." Charekyal answers

The group fans out and begins rummaging through the litter, Tharhack notices that most of the skeletal remains are not human. The two closest to him both have a wicked scorpion-like tail.

"Looks like your master got someone's attention." Tharhack says to Charekyal while kicking a skeleton "Does anyone see a human's remains?"

"No." came the unanimous response, Tharhack wondered if what they were looking for had already been pillaged.

"Found it!" Charekyal called out, lifting up a plain dull metal cylinder about eighteen inches wide and three feet long.

"Don't you think they would've looked in there?" Tharhack asked

"This is a special hiding place." Charekyal replies. She turns the cylinder upside down, spins it half a full turn, then removes the base.

Charekyal then pulls out an aged diary, and two glowing diamonds. Empythacoreaus reaches out for the diamonds and holds them up to his eyes.

"Amazing." Is all the pit fiend says

After a five minutes of silence Ageanent speaks up, "so........ what's in them? Let's crack them open."

"Not here." Empythacoreaus replies

"What does that mean?" Tharhack asks

Empythacoreaus smiled at Tharhack, which did nothing but make Tharhack's stomach turn and think he must be insane, a pit fiend is smiling at me and I'm ok with that. Tharhack realized therapy was probably going to be in his near future.

The pit fiend walked over to Tharhack and offered the two gems to him."Keep these safe, I entrust these to you." Empythacoreaus tell Tharhack

"Aw.. come on. I want to know what they are." Ageanent pleads

Tharhack resists the temptation to look at gems and places each one in a separate pouch on his belt.

"Are you not curious?" Empythacoreaus asks

"I am, but I'm also trying to maintain some semblance that I control my actions." Tharhack answers

"I see, you think I allowed you to hold the gems, and not that I chose you to hold the gems. Would you prefer I give them to the shapechanger?" Empythacoreaus asks

"How do you know he's a shapechanger?" Tharhack asks

"When you've been around for thousands of years, you tend to pick up on these things." The pit fiend replies

Tharhack suddenly felt alone and paranoid. Listening to a creature of immense evil, who says Ageanent is a shapechanger who by their very nature are duplicit, and Charekyal who was able to lie to a succubus.

Empythacoreaus left Tharhack to his thoughts, and approached Charekyal asking for the diary. Tharhack thought again about looking at the diamonds, but his mind didn't know if that what the fiend wanted him to do, or if the fiend really did want him to safeguard them.

Tharhack thought about asking Kord for help, but Tharhack knew the response would be to just be strong. Unfortunately that wouldn't help, should he be strong enough to resist the temptation to look, or strong enough to deal with the consequences if he did look.

Confused Tharhack sat on a broken bench deep in quiet thought.

"What's that?" Ageanent asked Empythacoreaus, who was handling the diary that Charekyal pulled from it's hiding place.

"This is what we came up here for, with this, the knowledge of the ancient high elves doesn't die with us. It also means we will be forever hunted." Empythacoreaus replies

"So, you intend on furthering the experiment?" Charekyal asks

"I intend on finding a way to finish what was started, I remember being in denial that I would ever see mercy as an option. With this we can make mercy a viable option, even for the lowly succubus." Empythacoreaus answers

Ageanent wonders away from everyone and rifles through some refuse along the walls, while digging through a pile of broken wood Ageanent feels a slight breeze coming from behind an interior section of wall. Bending down, Ageanent gets a good whiff of the air coming from under the wall.

"I found a false wall!" Ageanent calls out

Empythacoreaus and Charekyal join Ageanent by the wall.

"Where does this lead?" The pit fiend asks Charekyal

"I do not know, I have no recollection of there being anything behind this wall." Charekyal replies

Empythacoreaus motions for Charekyal and Ageanent to clear out of the way, and thrusts his fist through the fake wall. Empythacoreaus studies the stone wall on the opposite side of the room, and concludes it's a recent construction, probably within the last ten years or so.

"Must be that human mage, Emthur. He's the only one who's been here in that time." Charekyal answers

"That would be my guess as well, I wonder what's so important, that he would need to hide it in a place no mortal was likely to escape from?" Empythacoreaus wonders

Ed Cha

Community Supporter
You've got some interesting names. How do you come up with them? I've always been interested in naming conventions. In fact, I was going to write a book of names, but Gary Gygax's line (TLG's GFW) announced it and so I bowed out. I'm looking forward to their Book of Extraordinary Names though.

Jon Potter

First Post
Hairy Minotaur said:
"Must be that human mage, Emthur. He's the only one who's been here in that time." Charekyal answers

"That would be my guess as well, I wonder what's so important, that he would need to hide it in a place no mortal was likely to escape from?" Empythacoreaus wonders

Hmmm... phylactery, perhaps?

Ed Cha said:
You've got some interesting names. How do you come up with them? I've always been interested in naming conventions. In fact, I was going to write a book of names, but Gary Gygax's line (TLG's GFW) announced it and so I bowed out. I'm looking forward to their Book of Extraordinary Names though.

For most of them I used Jeff Hanson's NameGen which you can get from rpgnow.com? Empythacoreaus however I came up with, and yes I regret it. Having to write that thing out several times gets annoying. ;)

Remove ads