The Batman Trailer

I can't speak to your local screen, but that's because nobody goes to see them, not because Hollywood has no original ideas. If people went to see them, they'd be at your local screen.
See what I mean?
I'm with you. It's not all remakes and spectacles, though these make up a tiringly large amount of all releases.
Nonetheless, I could name a few good and original films from the last years off the top of my head: Knives Out, Ready or Not, Guns Akimbo, Gretel &Hansel, 1917, Atomic Blonde, the VVitch, Us, Get Out....The Gentlemen, Le Mans, Joker, Midsommar, The Lighthouse.....
There are still good things to watch out there.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Batman punches one guy about a dozen times, way past when the guy stopped resisting. I assume that's an aberration.

The "I'm vengeance" line makes me think otherwise. As does the focus on lies, and the "If you are justice, do not lie..." lines. They may be walking the "Batman as anti-hero" line with this one. That would be normal with a gritty detective story.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
The "I'm vengeance" line makes me think otherwise. As does the focus on lies, and the "If you are justice, do not lie..." lines. They may be walking the "Batman as anti-hero" line with this one. That would be normal with a gritty detective story.
I've seen in a few places that they're leaning into the darker, broken side of the character. Why does he dress as a bat and beat up criminals?

Ryujin

Legend
I'll likely see it, but the trailer doesn't sell me on it at all. I'm more interested in what James Gunn is going to do with the next Suicide Squad movie.

BookTenTiger

He / Him
I've seen in a few places that they're leaning into the darker, broken side of the character. Why does he dress as a bat and beat up criminals?

I hope they put more focus on what a cowardly and superstitious lot criminals are!

SCENE: Underground gang hideout.
RIDDLER accidentally drops a small hand mirror. It shatters.
PENGUIN: AHHH! What was that! Oh, I'm such a coward!
RIDDLER: Oh no, seven years bad luck!
BATMAN, hiding in the shadows, releases a black cat into the room.
RIDDLER AND PENGUIN: Zoinks!!!

Thirteenspades

Great Wyrm
Which could be a good thing. I myself am a bit burned out on all the big spectacle blockbusters a la Avengers etc. Cheaper does not necessarily mean bad - and there are a couple Direct-to-DVD or Direct-to-Streaming releases that are pretty decent. It could even force filmmakers to gasp get creative once more.
There is too much money to be made in film, especially when people are desperately looking for escapism. The industry will survive.
Just hope they don't combine lower budgets with bad quality (and additionally don't put spectacle over story). A different setup gives companies a chance to change up their formulas.
Except for Hollywood. Evil as can be. If anyone wants the details, you're free to ask, but don't pollute this thread.

Remove ads