• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Beginner Box

enpeze66

First Post
Where?

Also, where's that?

here

First off, this box is designed to contain everything that a new gamer needs to begin playing the Pathfinder RPG, from dice and pawns to a simplified rules set and an exciting starter adventure.

and here

"I cannot see much appeal to a beginner if the content of the box is just normal Pathfinder wih all its tedious overcomplicated rules but only for the first 5 levels. What a beginner really needs is a extremely simplified version with fewer rules."​
Perhaps you missed the bit about a simplified rules set. Jason Bulmahn
Lead Designer
Paizo Publishing

link: http://paizo.com/paizo/blog/v5748dyo5lc5i&page=2#89

Aus_Snow

First Post
Huh. I totally missed that... or something. :hmm:

Oh well. It sounds a little more promising, in that case. For me, I mean. I daren't speculate as to what's best for Paizo's bottom line or whatever. :D No, just trying to see if it will appeal to me whatsoever, either to play, or to give as a gift.

enpeze66

First Post
Huh. I totally missed that... or something. :hmm:

Oh well. It sounds a little more promising, in that case. For me, I mean. I daren't speculate as to what's best for Paizo's bottom line or whatever. :D No, just trying to see if it will appeal to me whatsoever, either to play, or to give as a gift.

I think if it is simplified enough it should be to the advantage of the whole rpg industry. Finally a rule box one can really recommend to newbies without beeing a teaser and withouth the intention to lure them into the "big" game thereafter but rather a complete self contained game. Best message since introduction of red basic box in the 80ties.

Erekose

Eternal Champion
If it is a simplified ruleset - I'd be interested in taking a look.

Depending on how good it is I can imagine people using the core rulebook for the additional levels but maintaining the simplified ruleset throughout!

Unless the bulk of the simiplification, as such, is just having rules for the limited adventure opportunities presented in the Beginners Box (like Basic D&D) with fewer options for classes???

Aus_Snow

First Post
I think if it is simplified enough it should be to the advantage of the whole rpg industry. Finally a rule box one can really recommend to newbies without beeing a teaser and withouth the intention to lure them into the "big" game thereafter but rather a complete self contained game. Best message since introduction of red basic box in the 80ties.
Yes. Very much so.

I'm tentatively hopeful in a (okay, not necessarily altogether) selfish way while also, like you, possessing nebulous hopes for "the hobby".

Whichever form this product takes, I'll be wishing that company of fine people well, and every success with it. Looking forward considerably to seeing how it plays out, with spoilers and stuff, from now 'til then.

juboke

Explorer

Truer words have never been spoken.

From what little information we have been given it does in fact appear to be a product based on a simplified version of the Pathfinder RPG rules (similar to what B/X was to AD&D).

Just an observation but has anyone noticed that the four iconic characters on the box are a Wizards, Rogue, Cleric and Fighter?

pawsplay

Hero
People would be a lot less nostalgic about BECMI if TSR had said, "Here's 5 levels. When you're ready, buy the full AD&D game."

You do realize that the B in BECMI stands for a level 1-3 Basic Set, right? The Holmes set was written exactly as you suggest, and seems to generate little nostalgia. But a low level Basic Set that sets the stage for the full game is what the original Red Box, probably the most successful RPG product ever sold.

I don't know if they plan an "expert set" or whatever but you could make a much more basic game simply by stripping it down to a level 5 game, and simply not including a lot of rules. That was the suggestion I made to the Paizo folks, along with the suggestion for plenty of toys, visuals, and other doodads.

I think it makes a lot of sense to pattern a product after the Red Box. More recent attempts read more like the Black Box, which no one liked, AFAIK.

pawsplay

Hero
Truer words have never been spoken.

From what little information we have been given it does in fact appear to be a product based on a simplified version of the Pathfinder RPG rules (similar to what B/X was to AD&D).

Just an observation but has anyone noticed that the four iconic characters on the box are a Wizards, Rogue, Cleric and Fighter?

My understanding is that it's going to be more like what the Basic Set was to the Rules Cyclopedia.

buddhafrog

First Post
I'm excited about this. I run 4e for dozens of ESL kids in Korea. I started playing Pathfinder recently and really love it. I've been tempted to start all my new games in Pathfinder but have decided not to b/c I feel it is a little too complicated.

If this is indeed a simplified rule-set and not only levels 1-5 (up to level 10 and I'd be satisfied), then I will buy this for sure, and likely will be playing this with all my students!

Yeah - Pathfinder AP's here I come!

Remove ads