• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Best New Base Class You Probably Aren’t Using Is . . .

Garnfellow

Explorer
Vrecknidj said:
Thanks guys, now I have another book to buy.

Buy the PDF. Although the other two books in the Advanced d20 line are excellent, I don't want to oversell the Advanced Player's Manual, which is just OK.

Greg K

Legend
My local B&N never orders any GR stuff and the only GR stuff I find at Borders is Warhammer. They won't even order a copy unless I preorder it. I still haven't seen the Advanced Line (or M&M 2e), but next weekend I'll look for them at our local con.

Garnfellow

Explorer
Two Great Tastes That Taste Great Together

Over the weekend I went through my Complete Books of Eldritch Might and assigned most of the wizard/sorcerer spells there to eldritch weaver threads. So if you're using the weaver and are looking for new spells, or if you're a big fan of BoEM and want another opportunity to use it in a game, you might take a look at this mashup:

New Eldritch Weaver Spells from the BoEM

At some point, I may try this with the Spell Compendium.

exile

First Post
I'm playing a scout right now and I continue to be impressed at how versatile the class is. The biggest weakness is the lack of open locks and disable device on the list of clas skills. Of course, if the scout had these as class skills, it would probably be a better rogue than the rogue.

Chad

Cam Banks

Adventurer
exile said:
I'm playing a scout right now and I continue to be impressed at how versatile the class is. The biggest weakness is the lack of open locks and disable device on the list of clas skills. Of course, if the scout had these as class skills, it would probably be a better rogue than the rogue.

I believe the errata for Complete Adventurer gives them Disable Device.

Cheers,
Cam

Twowolves

Explorer
I, too, am a big fan of the Eldritch Weaver class. Unfortunately, the ONLY reason I'm not using it is because it doesn't "plug and play" well in my existing campaign, where the nature of arcane magic is already set with a certain history and flavor. If I were starting a new game in a new setting, then I would most definately make ALL wizards be EWs, and it would work beautifully.

As for GR's Advanced d20 books, I have them all, and the Adv Beastiary is awesome. The Adv Players' Manual is not bad, since it seemed that a lot of the spells in it were old 1st and 2nd ed spells that didn't make the cut for 3rd ed, and since it was written by Skip Williams, I trust their balance more than I would some other random yahoo writing a 3rd party book. All of these books are toolkits, with lots of good ideas to pick and choose from. It's a shame they didn't sell better. /shrug

Psion

Adventurer
Cam Banks said:
I believe the errata for Complete Adventurer gives them Disable Device.

Considering the context of this thread, are we talking about the same scout? There was a scout in Adanced Player's Manual.

Cam Banks

Adventurer
Psion said:
Considering the context of this thread, are we talking about the same scout? There was a scout in Adanced Player's Manual.

I'm pretty sure we are. Bront's post up above mentioned it from CAdv.

Cheers,
Cam

Garnfellow

Explorer
Twowolves said:
I, too, am a big fan of the Eldritch Weaver class. Unfortunately, the ONLY reason I'm not using it is because it doesn't "plug and play" well in my existing campaign, where the nature of arcane magic is already set with a certain history and flavor. If I were starting a new game in a new setting, then I would most definately make ALL wizards be EWs, and it would work beautifully.

I've been thinking along the same lines -- a new campaign that replaces the wizard class with the eldritch weaver. Similar power, but much more flavor. Probably wouldn't happen for a long time, though.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads