D&D General The Best Spooky Adventures

Remathilis

Legend
To get prepped for the upcoming Ravenloft book, I'd like to get some good recommendations for Spooky Modules and Adventures that you've played or run. A resource for finding good gothic adventures, in a way.

So here are the ground rules:

• They must be D&D compatible, but any edition or offshoot can work.
  • DMs Guild, Adventurers League, Dungeon Mag, or RPGA stuff is allowed.
  • It has to be obtainable either in print, print on demand, pdf, or the like.
  • It has to capture the gothic feel, not just horror. More Curse of Strahd, less Tomb of Horrors.

I'll start the list of by listing Ravenloft/House of Strahd/Expedition to Castle Ravenloft/Curse of Strahd just to get it out of the way.

And go...

Remathilis

Legend
To add my personal favorite: Dungeon Crawl Classics 34: Cage of Delirium is perhaps one of the best non-Ravenloft Ravenloft modules written. You explore a haunted asylum where a terrible tragedy occurred decades ago. By exploring the ruin, you earn points that unlock the final mystery. In true DCC fashion, it's a dungeon crawl, but the Spooky atmosphere, interesting residents to interact with and tragic backstory all make it with it. (You could easily cut about half the combats and it will be just as good. ) As a bonus, the original came keyed with a CD of Midnight Syndicate's Gates of Delirium to at musical atmosphere. Highly recommended that you find or buy the album to go with it. (It's also available on Apple Music, Spotify and YouTube Music)

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Grim Hollow is awesome. It’s a campaign book but has three adventures. Run all three to varying degrees of success. Lots of variant rules and advice on running dark fantasy. Very interesting setting that could easily pass for a new (if large) Domain in Ravenloft, or a second Core.

Sandy Petersen’s Cthulhu Mythos 5E. Main book is great and his line of adventure paths are awesome. Ghoul Island and Yig Snake Granddaddy. The whole line is called Cthulhu Mythos Sagas. Finished Ghoul Island with mixed results. More PC deaths than the players liked. Recently started Yig Snake Granddaddy.

Remove ads