• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The best thing for DND...

Balesir

Adventurer
The problem is, from their perspective, a "constant availability of new sourcebooks" just isn't as profitable for them over the long run (which is why I question whether this model really is more popular amongst the mainstream consumer on the whole).
Yeah, that points to a core issue with RPGs as a market. Once you have a game you are genuinely happy with, you never need to buy another product again!

Even so, I think keeping old editions available, preferably with close to zero marginal cost (i.e. for download), alongside generating new stuff that adds onto a reasonably stable core game or games, would work best.

But my question for you is, that if 5e, 6e, and each subsequent edition is assumed to sell well (I'm not really trying to advocate if they will or won't), but if we knew for a fact that this model worked, would you question WotC's decision to pursue this route? (I understand that you think this model doesn't work, but that is not really the angle I'm looking at this from just yet).
Well, as you say, I think that's one heck of an "if" - but if there are folks out there enough to support this strategy then I have no issue with them pursuing it at all.

Personally, my position right now is that I barely ran D&D from the early '80s to somewhat after the start of 4e. In 4e I have found a system I find engaging and useful for a particular style of game (that I enjoy, and so, apparently, do a sizeable group of my old gaming friends). I have all the 4e books I need and the offline versions of the CB and MB on both my PCs. If I like DDN for some game style, I'll buy into it, too - but if I don't I'll stick with 4e only. If the scenario starts to resemble the "editions for editions sake" that you describe, I'll just drop back out of D&D, keeping my 4e books and software.

As a result of all this I don't really have any big stake in the strategy WotC choose either way. I just think their approach to IP management is outdated and unsuited to the world after the "third industrial revolution". As a result I think the modern market will leave them behind.

Dausuul

Legend
Yeah, that points to a core issue with RPGs as a market. Once you have a game you are genuinely happy with, you never need to buy another product again!

Only if you stay happy with it. People get bored, and people's tastes change. IMO this factor is hugely underestimated in a lot of these discussions. For a great many gamers, the "perfect game" does not stay perfect indefinitely.

hanez

First Post
Only if you stay happy with it. People get bored, and people's tastes change. IMO this factor is hugely underestimated in a lot of these discussions. For a great many gamers, the "perfect game" does not stay perfect indefinitely.

Exactly. I loved AD&D, but after 4-5 campaigns, we wanted something new and a bit updated. 3E entered at the perfect time. I thought it was incredible, all the options, the elegance, loved it. But after 4-5 campaigns it was getting repetitive and we wanted something a bit updated, so we started playing Arcana Evolved, LOVED it. When 4e was announced I was ecstatic, but ultimately it didnt feel close enough to what I was expecting, it was too much of a change. (Pathfinder on the other hand I didnt like because it was too little of a change) I think 5e needs to feel like the system people are coming from, but a bit different, and a bit better.

grimslade

Krampus ate my d20s
The Best thing for D&D is...

The best thing is for Next to succeed. If it does not, the brand will be mothballed as an RPG and mined for all its IP. TTRPGs are a niche market, CRPGs make more sense to Hasbro, they are licensed like movie, tv and toy options. Hasbro isn't going to sell D&D. The board games have covered the profit loss from ceasing 4E output while developing Next. How long before Hasbro decides that the TTRPG is a loss leader and lets Paizo and Green Ronin play in the market.

D&D as a ttrpg has a few years left. The re-release of 1E books and apparetn 3.5E books in the fall seems to be test runs for reprints being the mode of D&D profit for the future.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads