• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Best & Worst of 3rd Edition: FINAL FIVE: PHB II, UA, Eberon, Ptolus, Pathfinder

Pick the one that is BEST

• Eberon Campaign Setting (WotC)

Votes: 106 20.9%
  • Path Finder: Rise of the Runelords (Paizo)

Votes: 122 24.1%
  • Players Handbook II (WotC)

Votes: 84 16.6%
  • Ptolus (Malhavoc)

Votes: 115 22.7%
  • Unearthed Arcana (WotC)

Votes: 79 15.6%

• Poll closed .

SSquirrel

Explorer
So what incentive do they really have to vote? I just fail to see the interest in voting w/no vested interest *shrug* What's the point of pimping polls that aren't even representative of the website's population? People swing by to see what ENWorld as a whole thinks, not see what random anonymous ballot stuffing can turn up for a result on the internet. How is that interesting OR relevant?

PoeticJustice

First Post
From a wise man, after losing an election...

Vincent Hanna: Master William Pitt, the Even Younger, are you disappointed?

Pitt the Even Younger: Yes, I'm horrified. I smeared my opponents, bribed the press to be on my side, and threaten to torture electorate if we lost. I fail to see what a more decent politician would have done.

;)

Evanta

First Post
hmmm. To me Ptolus and Pathfinder are close, with PHB being a distant third. I voted Ptolus for having the best format and bag for buck.

Valesin

First Post
Eberron.

No one was more looking forward to Ptolus than I was, but in the end I was a little disappointed. There just didn't seem to be much thinking outside the box to me. Granted, it was billed as the 'ultimate 3e setting' and that's exactly what it was...and little more.

Eberron challenged the idea of what a fantasy setting could be. Ptolus combined everything that was already standard fantasy fare. I guess I am always looking for new things.

Acid_crash

First Post
I picked Ptolus because to me, of these five, it's the best product in quality and overall scope.

I also think that this poll is scewed because people can vote multiple times and the results will be biased because of it. And I think because people are voting for what their favorite product on the list is, and not what would be classified as "best", which are two very different things.

if I voted what my favorite product on the list is, I'd pick Eberron hands down because Eberron as a world is so much cooler and better than Ptolus... but this poll asks what is the single 'best' product from 3.x era, and that's a no contest... Ptolus should have won this poll already because no other product touches what Ptolus strives to achieve, with as much detail and as colorful and as much time as was put into the product.

And for the value of the product it is well worth it.

I'm just curious as to how a adventure series like Pathfinder can be voted upon at all, let alone make it this far. Is the entire series even out yet? If not, then it shouldn't be an option at all... and if we are talking about one adventure, then it's a no brainer that it's not the best overall product of the 3.x era.

Best = Quality and Scope of achievement, not Favorite.

Aus_Snow

First Post
Acid_crash said:
(. . .) f we are talking about one adventure, then it's a no brainer that it's not the best overall product of the 3.x era.

Best = Quality and Scope of achievement, not Favorite.
Not universally true, any of that.

Darkwolf71

First Post
Morrus said:
People appear to have ignored my request above, so let me reiterate it. Cut out the cross board drama. I don't care what people have said elsewhere; it doesn't need to be discussed or reposted here.
Apologies, Morrus. I've deleted my original post on the subject. I should have done that yesterday.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Results so far:

I haven't been posting results...

To summarize, early on UA had a small lead, but results were pretty distributed. Then Eberon and Pathfinder surged, leading to a certain degree of "suspicion" touched on above.

Then the poll got on the front page, and now Ptolus and UA have been making a comeback. I will be curious to see the results tomorow.

Heaven's Agent

First Post
Acid_crash said:
I'm just curious as to how a adventure series like Pathfinder can be voted upon at all, let alone make it this far. Is the entire series even out yet? If not, then it shouldn't be an option at all... and if we are talking about one adventure, then it's a no brainer that it's not the best overall product of the 3.x era.
The first adventure path is complete, but you should take a look at Pathfinder before trying to identify it; it's more than just an adventure path. In fact, only about half of each issue is adventure. The other half includes articles and information on the Pathfinder Chronicles Campaign Setting, from fluff to mechanics such as new spells, feats, prestige classes, monsters, etc.

Mr. Wilson

Explorer
Eberron again. I liked PH2, but Eberron is the best product to come from 3.X. Pathfinder doesn't feel like one product though it was wrapped up nicely, UA is just alt rules, and Ptolus I haven't seen, so it doesn't make the cut.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads