D&D 5E The Bible Is A New 5E Setting

The Adventurer’s Guide to the Bible is a 5E setting and adventure set in the first century AD...

The Adventurer’s Guide to the Bible is a 5E setting and adventure set in the first century AD.

63073A03-E1E0-492E-81EA-F79E05F6D4B6.jpeg

The 350-page book, created by Bible enthusiasts, included four new lineages, a range of subclasses, and an adventure for character levels 1-10, along with a full first-century AD setting with locations like the Library of Alexandria and the Hanging Gardens of Babylon, NPCs, and monsters such as giants, seraph serpents, angels, and demons. The adventure itself involves a search for three missing Magi.

It's $25 for a PDF, or $39 for a hardcover.

Cleopatra is dead. Rome and Parthia struggle for control of the Fertile Crescent in a bid for world domination, while local politics in the Middle Kingdoms become increasingly divisive. The prophecies of the so-called “Messiah” have long been forgotten, and an ancient Evil lurks in the shadows, corrupting the hearts of humankind. Three of the wisest mystics known as the “Magi” travelled to Bethlehem following a star they believed to be a sign. They never returned. Hope grows dim as the world descends into darkness. What we need are answers... and those brave enough to seek them.

This isn’t the first biblical era setting for D&D, although it might be for 5E. Green Ronin released Testament: Roleplaying in the Biblical Era for 3E over a decade ago.

CF365A40-FD89-4F74-845B-CF2CF891ECE6.jpeg

@Dannyalcatraz Don't worry, I know that is not true for the majority, which is why I said "some", and yeah, I realize naming a specific religion violated the rules, but knowing someone personally that it happened to, I will not apologize for calling them out that time, I just won't say it again here.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
@Dannyalcatraz Don't worry, I know that is not true for the majority, which is why I said "some", and yeah, I realize naming a specific religion violated the rules, but knowing someone personally that it happened to, I will not apologize for calling them out that time, I just won't say it again here.
Dude, I could ding you for challenging moderation for responding to that post in thread. I’m not. Don’t do that again, please.

As for your personal experiences?

I personally know 3 pedophiles from my social ( non-professional) life. Only one was a Catholic*. One was an atheist and the other a Wiccan. None of them harmed anyone I know, though the one in my RPG game group victimized his own kids. (I never met them.)

But the fact is that by singling out Catholic priests ignores that- prior to the post-Dallas reforms of 2007- the incidence of pedophiles reported in the American Catholic Church was 5%*. That is statistically average for all religious and secular organizations dealing with kids.

The reason it looks like so many is because of the tyranny on large numbers: Catholics make up a large % of the nation’s population. Ditto the number of clergy. So by sheer force of absolute numbers, Catholic priests will account for the largest number of reports compared to the clergy of other faiths.

Singling them out like that distorts the real picture. Singling out ANY group- other than NAMBLA and the like- distorts the real picture.

And doing so as an attempt at sarcasm is going to fall flat in some circles. Such as here, as long as I’m an ENWorlder.

* In fact, was part of the Dallas diocese’s pedophilia sex scandal, and is currently in jail.

** since 2007, it’s dropped a percentage point. Not great, but going the right direction.

Dude, I could ding you for challenging moderation for responding to that post in thread. I’m not. Don’t do that again, please.

So just a general question on this. If someone replies to a mod after a post is flagged, is that always considered challenging moderation, even when it is not meant that way at all? I am genuinely curious because of the times I have seen other people reply to you or the others in a way that did not look like a challenge, but was called that anyway. Is there anything in the official site rules that I missed reading that says not to reply back at all to a mod message?

Weiley31

Legend
So just a general question on this. If someone replies to a mod after a post is flagged, is that always considered challenging moderation, even when it is not meant that way at all? I am genuinely curious because of the times I have seen other people reply to you or the others in a way that did not look like a challenge, but was called that anyway. Is there anything in the official site rules that I missed reading that says not to reply back at all to a mod message?
According to EnWorld: yes.

If you set it after the crucifixion you don't need to worry about Jesus as an NPC either. Of course you could run into apostles, which I'm not sure is better.

But again, it's probably just because of how I run my campaigns, I'm sure you could shift the timeline one way or another fairly easily.

If you set it before the crucifixion, and the worry is players might interfere with the crucifixion, one possible solution is to take a page out of the Last Temptation of Christ, where Jesus steps of the cross and sees his life if he had lived it as a normal man and not been crucified. He eventually encounters Saint Paul who is still teaching about the crucified and resurrected Christ (and he gets in an argument with Jesus because Jesus wants him to stop lying about him). Or you could just get everyone on the same page and be like "the crucifixion needs to happen so don't interfere or get overly involved in it, even though it is happening during get period the campaign is set in".

Oofta

Legend
If you set it before the crucifixion, and the worry is players might interfere with the crucifixion, one possible solution is to take a page out of the Last Temptation of Christ, where Jesus steps of the cross and sees his life if he had lived it as a normal man and not been crucified. He eventually encounters Saint Paul who is still teaching about the crucified and resurrected Christ (and he gets in an argument with Jesus because Jesus wants him to stop lying about him). Or you could just get everyone on the same page and be like "the crucifixion needs to happen so don't interfere or get overly involved in it, even though it is happening during get period the campaign is set in".
Well, there's also the simple solution that the PCs don't know what's going to happen.

Like I said, this isn't really for me, but it would be odd to have the PCs directly cross paths with JC. How do you RP that?

Weiley31

Legend
I actually think some of the more mystical aspects of the setting could be good or at least be used if your like easily offended at stuff and don't want to strictly adhere to the base material.

You could be a Lazarus-Lite character who goes around the Roman landscape, fighting LEGIONS(demons that take over humans) while riding around on your Angelic MagiTek Motocycle, just cruising around and chilling with your Magi companion. Maybe one of the Grigori has gone rogue/come out of hiding and now you gotta team up with one of Pharaoh's sorcerers to fight back against its forces.

Or your party has to escape an Eldritch Abomination infected Sodam and Gomorrah and your party has just been informed by an Angel that you have to escape the city before the Powers that Be pillar of salt carpet bomb the place to prevent said Eldritch Abominations from escape.

Or you use the animal rules from Humblewood/Animal Adventures and your goal is to reach the Ark before it takes off. Cue the Vengeful Dragon that ends up pursuing you throughout the adventure in anger.

What, why are all of you giving me looks.

Last edited:

Weiley31

Legend
Well, there's also the simple solution that the PCs don't know what's going to happen.

Like I said, this isn't really for me, but it would be odd to have the PCs directly cross paths with JC. How do you RP that?
PCs: Yo Jesus, can you spare us some wine?

Jesus: I got ya bro/dette.

I think the RP thing would be very group dependent

Remove ads

Remove ads