D&D 5E The Bible Is A New 5E Setting

The Adventurer’s Guide to the Bible is a 5E setting and adventure set in the first century AD. The 350-page book, created by Bible enthusiasts, included four new lineages, a range of subclasses, and an adventure for character levels 1-10, along with a full first-century AD setting with locations like the Library of Alexandria and the Hanging Gardens of Babylon, NPCs, and monsters such as...

The Adventurer’s Guide to the Bible is a 5E setting and adventure set in the first century AD.

63073A03-E1E0-492E-81EA-F79E05F6D4B6.jpeg

The 350-page book, created by Bible enthusiasts, included four new lineages, a range of subclasses, and an adventure for character levels 1-10, along with a full first-century AD setting with locations like the Library of Alexandria and the Hanging Gardens of Babylon, NPCs, and monsters such as giants, seraph serpents, angels, and demons. The adventure itself involves a search for three missing Magi.

It's $25 for a PDF, or $39 for a hardcover.

Cleopatra is dead. Rome and Parthia struggle for control of the Fertile Crescent in a bid for world domination, while local politics in the Middle Kingdoms become increasingly divisive. The prophecies of the so-called “Messiah” have long been forgotten, and an ancient Evil lurks in the shadows, corrupting the hearts of humankind. Three of the wisest mystics known as the “Magi” travelled to Bethlehem following a star they believed to be a sign. They never returned. Hope grows dim as the world descends into darkness. What we need are answers... and those brave enough to seek them.

This isn’t the first biblical era setting for D&D, although it might be for 5E. Green Ronin released Testament: Roleplaying in the Biblical Era for 3E over a decade ago.

CF365A40-FD89-4F74-845B-CF2CF891ECE6.jpeg

J-H

Hero
I've seen mention of the disciples calling Jesus "Rabboni" or "Teacher" at some of their earliest meetings, so He may have done some rabbinical studies and may have been teaching in a more conventional sense.
Not sure I buy it, as I made it all the way to age 37 or 38 before hearing anyone put that concept forward.

Generally, I think staying off the Biblical narrative and using it as an adventuring backdrop only is a good idea.

So we have Rephaim, Nephilim, and Giants now? That's going to be hard to split up stat-wise. I'm guessing something like, respectively orc or dwarf-lite, yuan-ti-lite, and goliath-lite. It depends how much they want to shoehorn typical D&D species differences into a "just human" setting.

Yaarel

He Mage
e seen mention of the disciples calling Jesus "Rabboni" or "Teacher" at some of their earliest meetings, so He may have done some rabbinical studies and may have been teaching in a more conventional sense.
Not sure I buy it, as I made it all the way to age 37 or 38 before hearing anyone put that concept forward.
The titles are Rav and Ribon.

Rav means "master", including in the sense of a master of Tora knowledge, whence "teacher".

Rabbi means "my teacher". While talking to a teacher, one politely says, "my Teacher".

Ribon means "master" or ruler.

Riboni means "my master".

The way Jesus does midrash on the biblical texts, demonstrates he is highly educated in Tora study.

So we have Rephaim, Nephilim, and Giants now? That's going to be hard to split up stat-wise. I'm guessing something like, respectively orc or dwarf-lite, yuan-ti-lite, and goliath-lite. It depends how much they want to shoehorn typical D&D species differences into a "just human" setting.

I would make them all humans.

Rfaim are aboriginal tribes who venerate ancestors.

Nfilim are warrior aristocrats who descend from human leaders who were worshiped as gods.

The "giant" appears to be Goliath, a normal human with the gigantism medical condition.

Yaarel

He Mage
Nephilim are the descendants of the children of fallen angels and human women.
Regarding the Nfilim, the Bible never mentions any "fallen angels".

The text describes powerful humans that considered themselves divine, who took whatever women they want. The descendants of these divine ancestors become famous warriors.

Compare how kings like pharaoh describe themselves as divine. Compare how kings and emperors choose for themselves from the most beautiful women in their territory. At one point, during the Bronze Age, this is a brand new phenomenon. Compare how many warrior noble families claim descent from these divine ancestors.

Genesis 6.4
הַנְּפִלִים הָיוּ בָאָרֶץ בַּיָּמִים הָהֵם וְגַם אַחֲרֵי כֵן
אֲשֶׁר יָבֹאוּ בְּנֵי הָאֱלֹהִים אֶל בְּנוֹת הָאָדָם
וְיָלְדוּ לָהֶם הֵמָּה הַגִּבֹּרִים אֲשֶׁר מֵעוֹלָם אַנְשֵׁי הַשֵּׁם

"The Nfilim were in the land in those days. And also afterward.
So that the descendants of the divine ones would come toward the daughters of the humanity.
And they would make the heroes born to them, that are the men of the (famous) name, from the timespan (ago)."

Looking at the art clearly the Nephilim are intended to be akin Aasimar with holy light surrounding them.

Giants are well giants.

Rephaites look kind of grey, almost undead like. Maybe they will be Akin to Tieflings or Dhampyrs?

I think it will be interesting how they handle those "missing" years of Jesus' life, where there is very little in the Bible from about when he was 13 until he was 30. I wonder if they will use the theories that some of those later years were spent in India and learning the ways of the Hindu religion, an maybe Buddhism as well, as part of why he presented a softer, gentler new religion to contrast the older, more literal and violent Jewish faith.
That's the perfect place to put the PCs in!

Yaarel

He Mage

I had never heard of these before, but they appears to refer to them as semidivine ancestors or giants.

Nephilim - Wikipedia

Nephilim are also sometimes called giants.
The Hebrew word Rfaim means ghosts. The Tora never says the Rfaim are tall.

Deuteronomy 3.11 says Og was one of the remnants of the aboriginal Rfaim. He was a local king with a royal bed that was 9 cubits (say 4½ meters). The bed was big, but he wasnt. The bed is a royal luxury, perhaps involving fertility rituals.

The word Gigantes is Greek, and these references to "giants" are much later legends.

"The Nfilim were in the land in those days. And also afterward.
So that the descendants of the divine ones would come toward the daughters of the humanity.
And they would make the heroes born to them, that are the men of the (famous) name, from the timespan (ago)."

Yep, the Sons of God, or angels, fallen or not, screwed the daughters of man, and their babies were the Nephilim. The First Book of Enoch names the Sons of God as fallen angels. And yes, you will say that is a non-canonical book, but I am non-religious, so all religious texts are just fairy tales to me and I will use whatever fits the situation/setting.

Remove ads

Remove ads