• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The biggest issue with the new Character Builder:

Ryujin

Legend
Yes, you are wrong. Nothing prevents you from modifying programs you legally downloaded that are sitting on your computer.

I suppose that peeking under the hood nullifies the warranty and means that I can no longer get support for the product, but, let's face it, that wasn't an issue anyway.

Actually, most software licenses explicitly exclude that sort of thing.

Dungeoneer

First Post
Actually, most software licenses explicitly exclude that sort of thing.
Fortunately, most software licenses don't mean a thing. Corporations are not legislative bodies. Are you or anyone else seriously going to sit here and argue that popping open a text editor and poking around in the guts of a data file on your own computer is 'illegal activity'?

Dice4Hire

First Post
Fortunately, most software licenses don't mean a thing. Corporations are not legislative bodies. Are you or anyone else seriously going to sit here and argue that popping open a text editor and poking around in the guts of a data file on your own computer is 'illegal activity'?

I have reported this thread, so I guess we'll see what the mods think.

Grabuto138

First Post
The biggest issue with the new CB?

- It costs the same as the old one. *

- It does less than the old.

Quite simple.

* Actually it costs more, on average. If I only was interested in PHB/DMG/MM I and didn't care for rule updates or other books, I could just subscribe for a month, download the old CB, and use to my heart content. There was nothing illegal with this, regardless of what some people inexplicabilly say.

Now, in order to use the new CB, I'm foced to keep a running subscription, getting updates for new products even if I can not care less about them...

It does not cost anything, as a thing-in-itself. Anyone who is sending money to WOTC is doing so because they have bought a subscription to a variety of online content. I know that you really dig the original CB and that is what you thought your were buying. But you were wrong. You paid for access to a random name generator, the Rules Compendium, Dragon and Dungeon etc. You really need to get over what you thought you were buying and come to terms with what you actually were buying.

Don't get me wrong, the new CB is pretty much useless to me in its current form. But I bought a subscription, not a thing. So argueing along these lines is a red herring.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads