The Biggest RPG Story of the Year?

Green Ronin's Chris Pramas has offered some cryptic clues as to a product slated for Gen Con this year. "Our goal is to release Fantasy AGE in May. Then at the end of July we will release the game’s first setting book. This is our big GenCon release and part of something super exciting … that I can’t talk about yet. This will be the focus of our GenCon presence this year and perhaps the biggest RPG story of the year. Watch for an announcement in a few months." What could it be?

Green Ronin's Chris Pramas has offered some cryptic clues as to a product slated for Gen Con this year. "Our goal is to release Fantasy AGE in May. Then at the end of July we will release the game’s first setting book. This is our big GenCon release and part of something super exciting … that I can’t talk about yet. This will be the focus of our GenCon presence this year and perhaps the biggest RPG story of the year. Watch for an announcement in a few months." What could it be?

I mentioned Green Ronin's plans for 2015 a few days ago, including their whole product range. Fantasy AGE is the core rulebook of the system that drives Green Ronin's current Dragon Age roleplaying game. "This will be strictly a rule book with no attached setting. The core of the game will be well-familiar to Dragon Age fans but there are some differences, the biggest of which is the magic system. That of Dragon Age was meant to emulate how magic works in Thedas, so I am modifying it heavily for Fantasy AGE."

Is Steve Kenson writing it? Pramas says "Nothing we can talk about right now unfortunately, but stay tuned for some exciting announcements over the coming months. What has Steve Kenson been working on the last five months? Find out in April!" Steve Kenson is, of course, best known for superhero RPGs including Mutants & Masterminds and his own ICONS system.

So, a setting book for a fantasy RPG by Steve Kenson which might be the biggest RPG story of the year? I'm curious! What do you think it might be?

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
My guess is it's not a license, but that instead the setting will be what Wil Wheaton and friends play in the Table Top RPG Spin off.

Yeah, this was my thought as well. While Dragon Age was specifically not an option because of licence issues, the Age system is clearly in GR's hands and Wil and Chris are friends. Interesting, although I see some mention of Dread online as well.

My guess is it's not a license, but that instead the setting will be what Wil Wheaton and friends play in the Table Top RPG Spin off.

Very strong guess there. They may do Dread as well for TableTop, but that isn’t designed to be played in long term campaigns. The Indiegogo campaign indicated they wanted a spinoff RPG show as a stretch goal, and they did use Dragon Age before in Season 1. I wouldn’t be surprised if they don’t design a new game for the show and then sell it as a product.

Sitara

Explorer
It will be Wheel of Time folks, and it will be HUGE news to many people, due to the richness of the setting and the vast character and background types as well as the type of games that can be run in that setting. You can have games with tons of intriuge where no sword is ever raised, or you could have a game set on the borderlands with warriors, warders and channelers.

Since Green Ronin already has the A Song of Ice and Fire license, it would make sense they would go for WOT.

Shannara would also be good IMO.

jrowland

First Post
Maybe they've got the WFRP license back?

That's where my money goes. The End Times setting blow up with WFB, and all the other setting changes means WFRP is left hanging (FFG dropped support). Green Ronin did it right with 2nd, a reboot would be great for Warhammer fans. I am not familiar with Dragon AGE RPG as a system, but the blurb about modifying the magic system might be a clue. Warhammer is gritty, magic-light, with unique magic archetypes. I could see that being the heaviest modification.

On another note, [MENTION=1]Morrus[/MENTION], I feel O.L.D. could make a decent Warhammer RPG engine. Kudos.

Last edited by a moderator:

Skywalker

Adventurer
Adventure Time?

Adventure Time would be the best and would actually suit AGE with a little work.

I am guessing Conan using AGE. Conan is back on the market following the lacklustre movie performance and there is currently no RPG home. Its a cornerstone of the fantasy genre and would be a big licence for GR alongside ASoIaF.

WackyAnne

First Post
Morris, I know they have done it in the past, but I believe they are much more aware of their brand these days, and the value their IP holds (Chris Perkins said something on twitter, for example, suggesting that the dispute over D&D movie rights had people at Hasbro caring about the brand who'd never given a penny before). The 5th Edition materials have made reference to several settings (the default Realms, Greyhawk, Ravenloft, Eberron, and Planescape IIRC, so far). I also doubt very much they want to do anything that might create another Pathfinder, so I think any licensing will be limited, indeed. (But of course, my own humble & modest opinion ;) )

delericho

Legend
How about an expanded Freeport setting?

And the reason that might qualify as the biggest RPG news of the year: it's going to be a quiet year for RPG news (well, unless Paizo announce Pathfinder 2nd Ed).

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads