The Book of Boba Fett (spoilers)

Argyle King

Legend
Have you ever watched the background characters in most movies/TV shows during a major battle. Some of it is rather comical ;)

Yeah. I expect that from background characters. I'm also okay with tropes and genre conventions and needing to look cool for the screen.

To me, it wasn't background characters in this case. It was a main character with a lifetime of combat experience. Even with giving some leeway for genre and such, a lot of it seemed heavily contrived. (I suspect, if this were a rpg campaign, the DM would have been heavily railroading the group into specific encounters.)

There were a lot of cool ideas. How they were put together was a bit suspect though.

I think, for me, what makes it stand out is that there are/were times when the show was brilliant. So it highlights when things are a bit shoddy.

If this helps, I look at it kinda like a pro-wrestling match. Yes, it is fantasy. Yes, there are things (like the Irish Whip) which make no sense but are accepted as part of the genre. But there's still an underlying psychology to how/why things are done are particular way.

When it's done well, I can get sucked in enough to not thing twice about Undertaker being a zombie or Steve Austin being coherent enough to wrestle after drinking 36 beers. When it's done poorly, I might think "wtf?" over something as simple as a wonky-looking wristlock.

Ryujin

Legend
Yeah. I expect that from background characters. I'm also okay with tropes and genre conventions and needing to look cool for the screen.

To me, it wasn't background characters in this case. It was a main character with a lifetime of combat experience. Even with giving some leeway for genre and such, a lot of it seemed heavily contrived. (I suspect, if this were a rpg campaign, the DM would have been heavily railroading the group into specific encounters.)

There were a lot of cool ideas. How they were put together was a bit suspect though.

I think, for me, what makes it stand out is that there are/were times when the show was brilliant. So it highlights when things are a bit shoddy.

If this helps, I look at it kinda like a pro-wrestling match. Yes, it is fantasy. Yes, there are things (like the Irish Whip) which make no sense but are accepted as part of the genre. But there's still an underlying psychology to how/why things are done are particular way.

When it's done well, I can get sucked in enough to not thing twice about Undertaker being a zombie or Steve Austin being coherent enough to wrestle after drinking 36 beers. When it's done poorly, I might think "wtf?" over something as simple as a wonky-looking wristlock.
When it comes to Star Wars, I've given up on expecting pretty much anything more than cartoon logic. I find it easier to enjoy it that way. If there's more than that, then it's a bonus.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
When I say "new"....I mean new characters, not from the movies. I don't need ideas (though that would be nice also) that are totally new, just new to Star Wars. I don't need nostalgia. I don't need the same story over and over. I get others don't agree....but that's what I mean by new.

When it comes to the Spice, it is extracted using slave labor, and that is enough of a reason for many people to try and shut the trade down completely. And we are talking Boba Fett here. But use of slave labor, run by a criminal syndicate, and it is addictive? That is the trifecta.

Janx

Hero
If you really break it down, the whole thing kind of just sucks.
well, yeah.

I'm probably way less critical of stuff that's decent or doesn't miss the mark so badly.

Mandolorean was great. Even if it also had problems. We expectations this would be more of the same. Then it came out.

There are folks who loved the series. I'm not feeling it.

Remove ads