The Book of Boba Fett (spoilers)

One thing I was remembering wrong was the timeline for Rebels events. From the official timeline:

1 BBY - Kanan Jarrus killed, sacrificing himself to save the rest of the Ghost crew. Ezra Bridger has an audience with the Emperor, before he and Grand Admiral Thrawn go missing in action. Bo-Katan Kryze takes Mandalorian throne, after Sabine Wren gives her the ceremonial Darksaber. (Star Wars Rebels)

And even on starwars.com, with their databank, real years are not used. It is just "years before this" and "years after that" for Mandalore and Bo-Katan and Sabine. It is only because of Rebels that we know Mandalore could not have been destroyed before 1 BBY. The show spends several episodes on the planet, and it is not destroyed yet, so that part of the timeline is easy.

Staffan

Legend
No, but they needed a full episode to throw Mando out of the order, establish a new atonement quest, foreshadow developments with Grogu and the darksabre, and get him a new ship.
Yes, there's certainly a whole episode's worth of plot here. The question is, does it need to be in the Book of Boba Fett, or could Boba just have given Mando a call and had him come help out and then Mando could have had his character development over on his own show?

MarkB

Legend
When Mando and Vizla started to duel my mom
Gotta admit, it took me a moment to parse that first sentence.
questioned the wisdom of it.

Mom: If there's only 3 of them, should they be fighting to the death?
Me: This is the way.
I don't think it was necessarily to the death. Vizla could have claimed the saber the moment he put Din on the floor and disarmed him. He chose to take it further.

Yes, there's certainly a whole episode's worth of plot here. The question is, does it need to be in the Book of Boba Fett, or could Boba just have given Mando a call and had him come help out and then Mando could have had his character development over on his own show?
It's where it fits in the timeline. We needed to see where Mando was at before he appeared in tBoBF, but it would have made an anticlimactic final episode to Mandalorian session two.

Really, the idea that The Mandalorian and the Book of Boba Fett (and Ahsoka etc) are separate shows is silly. I's all one big Star Wars TV show, and viewers are expected to watch all of it, not pick one.

Staffan

Legend
It's where it fits in the timeline. We needed to see where Mando was at before he appeared in tBoBF, but it would have made an anticlimactic final episode to Mandalorian session two.

Really, the idea that The Mandalorian and the Book of Boba Fett (and Ahsoka etc) are separate shows is silly. I's all one big Star Wars TV show, and viewers are expected to watch all of it, not pick one.
But it would have made a pretty good first episode of Mandalorian season 3, and I have a hard time seeing how the stuff in this episode would be essential to Mando guest starring on Boba Fett. Unless the fighter turns out to be super relevant in a way they couldn't do without it.

But it would have made a pretty good first episode of Mandalorian season 3, and I have a hard time seeing how the stuff in this episode would be essential to Mando guest starring on Boba Fett. Unless the fighter turns out to be super relevant in a way they couldn't do without it.
He needed a ship for BoBF, and that particular fighter is going to be important later, with it's Grogu bubble. His relationship to the darksabre may well matter for BoBF. But really, it doesn't matter - it's all one show.

MarkB

Legend
He needed a ship for BoBF, and that particular fighter is going to be important later, with it's Grogu bubble. His relationship to the darksabre may well matter for BoBF. But really, it doesn't matter - it's all one show.
It isn't, though. They're separate shows with different titles, both marketed at roughly the same audience yes, but I wouldn't expect, for instance, an entire episode of Hawkeye to be dedicated to character development for Wanda Maximoff or Sam Wilson.

The Book of Boba Fett is a short series dedicated to a single character's story, and dedicating an entire episode of that limited run-time to exploring an entirely different character remains weird and out-of-place.

If I want to do a full binge of The Mandalorian at some later date after it's got a couple more seasons under its belt, I'm probably not going to sidestep into watching BoBF after season 2 - but that's going to mean skipping past several plot and character developments.

Remove ads