The Book of Boba Fett (spoilers)

Ryujin

Legend
I don't know how exactly I feel regarding on the final episode.

I feel as though there were a lot of cool individual parts, but they were tossed together sloppily.

The entire plan for how to fight the Syndicate was almost laughably bad. It's a bit jarring to watch a show in which Boba and Fennec are often incompetent at basic military tactics.
Well they aren't military people. They're a bounty hunter and an assassin, who are used to working alone or in a small group.

MarkB

Legend
I don't know how exactly I feel regarding on the final episode.

I feel as though there were a lot of cool individual parts, but they were tossed together sloppily.

The entire plan for how to fight the Syndicate was almost laughably bad. It's a bit jarring to watch a show in which Boba and Fennec are often incompetent at basic military tactics.
The bit that got me was the Mods insisting that they stay in the town rather than holing up in their fortress - which basically guaranteed that Mos Espa was going to get thoroughly wrecked.

Janx

Hero
How was Spice ruining the planet or lives anyway?

Why did they have to bring it to the planet surface?

They never really explained that, other than saying it was bad.

What the heck is Spice besides a rip-off from Dune?

MarkB

Legend

It's what's mined in the spice mines of Kessell. Beyond that, I'm not sure there are any details that aren't Legends by now.

In Legends it was consistently portrayed as a narcotic, but I seem to recall some sources suggesting that it provided temporary Force sensitivity.

Ryujin

Legend

No idea about the "Legends" stuff, but the implication has always been that Spice is an illegal drug. And drugs are bad, m'kay? You don't bring drugs to a populated planet and then not sell them to the populace, which means taking them to the surface. Also, since the spaceport(s) are planetside, you need to get them down for distribution.

BrokenTwin

Biological Disaster
Yeah, that's another thing I never really got. Tatooine doesn't exactly have a dense population, and the spice isn't being mined on the planet (presumably), so why is it such a big deal for them that they NEED the spice to be transported planet-side? Why were they transporting it through Tusken territory anyway? Certainly they'd just be setting down in the biggest star-port, selling the spice to the local dealers to distribute, then heading back up? Hell, what product or services are all of these local gangs supplying/pushing, anyway? If you're a crime lord and all you do is control and administer your local area, then you're just the local authorities.

MarkB

Legend
Yeah, that's another thing I never really got. Tatooine doesn't exactly have a dense population, and the spice isn't being mined on the planet (presumably), so why is it such a big deal for them that they NEED the spice to be transported planet-side? Why were they transporting it through Tusken territory anyway? Certainly they'd just be setting down in the biggest star-port, selling the spice to the local dealers to distribute, then heading back up? Hell, what product or services are all of these local gangs supplying/pushing, anyway? If you're a crime lord and all you do is control and administer your local area, then you're just the local authorities.
Well, it seems that different settlements on the planet are controlled by different crime lords, so if those gangs are trading Spice between each other it would make some sense to transport it between locations, especially if some groups stockpile it for later distribution.

Janx

Hero
yeah, the whole thing seems dumb or flawed. If we were playing D&D (or starwars) as spice people, we'd land our ships from space where we needed the stuff delivered. It's no less or more obtrusive than weird trains and caravans taking the stuff overland. And if it's just a waypoint before another planet, let's meet in space and exchange there.

They don't actually show that Spice is bad. There's no empathetic character who's struggling because of their habit. Doesn't this stuff make jobs for people moving it?

The thing they SHOULD be fighting for, hardly isn't. Protection money and income from crime territory. the Pikes should be moving in to take over the Hutt's turf, and THAT's what Boba's defending. But instead, it's Spice specifically, which is dumbly presented.

BrokenTwin

Biological Disaster
If they made it a flat out turf war instead of Fett protecting people from whatever spice does, then they'd need to show why the Pikes want to control the area. Tatooine doesn't seem to produce any good or service that's not easier to obtain elsewhere, and doesn't have the population to be worth controlling the market of. There's zero valid reason for the Pikes to not just make an arrangement with the local rulers for distribution of their product.

If we fudged things and said Mos Eisley was the only settlement on the planet with an industrial star port, and Fett refused to allow the Pikes to transport their goods (spice) through the port anymore, than it would make a lot more sense that they'd work with the other local rulers to overthrow him and restore business as usual.

And the more I think about it, the more I don't think calling them crime lords is accurate. It's essentially a fiefdom, they ARE the ruling authorities in the area. Smaller places pay tribute (taxes), and the New Republic doesn't appear to actually exert any control planet-side, or beef with the people who do control the planet.

Argyle King

Legend
Well they aren't military people. They're a bounty hunter and an assassin, who are used to working alone or in a small group.

I suppose so. Maybe I'm wrong for thinking this way, but I would think that doing either of those careers as a long term profession would lead to learning a few things. I don't expect Hannibal crossing the Alps.

Though, I do expect some grasp of basic ideas. I feel as though Boba would come up with an idea. Then Fennec would offer a way to "improve" the idea which actually made it worse.

In Fennec's case, I would think that being an assassin would offer some insight into how to fight as a smaller group (or individual) against a more numerous target. The show itself even shows that she's skilled in doing so during her flashback episode.

I'm curious if combat choreography is a thing. I know fist fights and such are choreographed, but do movies/shows ever consult someone to lay out bigger scale conflicts?

Side note: I would have rather the Mods been pushed off the cliff than the green guys.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases