• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Burning Crusade

Pants

First Post
Steel_Wind said:
It ain't all wine and roses with WoW:Burning Crusade :)
Suramar (the server I play on) was up and down all day yesterday. When it wasn't, the draenei starting area and Outlands were super laggy, but that was mostly due to the amount of people in said areas. I got to play a bit this morning and it was much smoother.

Although I still got a defective disc, I managed to work around it. I also noticed on the WoW forums a bunch of other weird install issues. Hopefully they aren't too widespread...

Steel_Wind

Legend
Pants said:
Suramar (the server I play on) was up and down all day yesterday. When it wasn't, the draenei starting area and Outlands were super laggy, but that was mostly due to the amount of people in said areas. I got to play a bit this morning and it was much smoother.

Although I still got a defective disc, I managed to work around it. I also noticed on the WoW forums a bunch of other weird install issues. Hopefully they aren't too widespread...

Well - part of the problem with hundreds of thousands of unit sales in a single day is that even relatively small problems, percentage wise, seem huge on any tech support forum.

My wife was installing till 4:30 a.m. but finally did manage enough workarounds to get it on there. She's been playing all night this eve and has reported it is laggy - but that seems mainly due to increased server traffic, not the XP per se.

Burning Crusade is the closest thing to a LotR or Star Wars blockbuster release that PC games have ever had. The numbers of units they expect to sell of this thing in the first month exceeds expectations for even the Halo franchise.

This is some big Big BIG Money here, boys and girls.

The display stand at my local Future Shop greeted me as I entered the store. 15 feet tall and 25 feet wide. I have never seen any game get this kind of hype.

It's good to be King... :p

TwistedBishop

First Post
I play on Proudmoore and things have been fine there. Bit of lag the day of TBC's release, couple server restarts. However I have yet to purchase the expansion since I'm not at the required level to enter the Outlands, so I can't speak to the level of lagginess there.

Enforcer

Explorer
I had no install problems, hooray! However, I did encounter my first queue ever on Rexxar (US). That was annoying.

By the time I was all finished with the install, it was time for bed... Though I did roll up a Blood Elf Warlock really quick. I'll have to test him out tonight.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Silver Hand is a PST server, so by the time we're in both prime time for EST and PST, Hellfire Peninsula can get a little laggy, although not nearly as bad as it was back in the bad old days after the game first launched.

We've already got at least one level 70 character on the server, but for the most part, folks are still in Hellfire Peninsula or in Shattrath City. This morning I rode through Nagrand (BEAUTIFUL zone, like the Barrens 2.0), and while the Alliance had previously captured the PVP objectives there, there was otherwise no one in the entire zone.

If you're finding Hellfire a little crowded, I recommend trying one of the adjacent zones, which are much less populated at the moment.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
Well due to boredeom I reactivated my WoW account yesterday. My main is a 48 Mage. Is there any reason to buy BC now or should I wait until I am 58+ and can go to the new zone?

Rackhir

Explorer
Flexor the Mighty! said:
Well due to boredeom I reactivated my WoW account yesterday. My main is a 48 Mage. Is there any reason to buy BC now or should I wait until I am 58+ and can go to the new zone?

Not unless you plan to create a new character. You need BC to create a Draenai or Blood Elf character. Otherwise no.

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
.If you're finding Hellfire a little crowded, I recommend trying one of the adjacent zones, which are much less populated at the moment.

I've started noticing people in the other zones, but that's to be expected ~1 week after launch. Zangarmarsh is about the same level as Hellfire, and Terokkar Forest is a bit higher.

One mildly annoying thing about the new instances is that the bosses tend to have only one drop, instead of the two I'm used to. The end boss does have two drops, and once you get it down, people can do most in 45 minutes to an hour, so they're easily repeatable. Also, there's a trend in the instances to have the end boss close to the entrance, so you can easily get out.

Brad

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
We started getting some lag problems on Sunday on Silver Hand and Outland crashed or had to be restarted a few times (I mined the same two ore veins repeatedly until the rollbacks stopped, grrr). That was the first time I saw what history has taught me to expect with expansion launches.

Much love for TBC having raid style bosses in single group instances, especially the final boss in Hellfire Ramparts. Previously, that sort of fight required 10, 20 or 40 people to do, depending on what aspect of the fight you're thinking of. Doing it with five was the sort of experience I always wanted from an MMORPG, back when I first started in EQ1 during the Velious era.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads