D&D General The campaign you will never get to run

I would recommend Heroes of Battle... Its "victory point" system enables PC actions to actually matter...

I shall check it out. The problem we had wasn't even the lack of player usefulness in battles, it was a logistical problem of trying to find a way that strike a fair balance between not boiling down the entire fight between two single units on the field rolling one attack each (not very dramatic) and turns not taking 30minutes each of having to roll 30 dice rolls for each side due to multiple units on the field. I like the option to display multiple miniatures to represent different parts of each army, but keep it reasonably simple and fastpaced. Anything more difficult than the base 5e rules (or similar stuff like vehicle combat) isn't want I want.

My party couldn't care less about advanced tactical tabletop combat, they just want to see a lot of minis on the field and feel like army generals.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I want an easy to run battle system as well since a battle is brewing in my game at the moment though it may end up just being background so I won't really need rules, just a decision. I might try the strongholds and followers simple warfare system which seems similar to the old Rules Cyclopedia system, which I might also adapt. I do want the PCs to be able to influence things though, like striking against the enemies siege weapons or taking out spellcasters, etc and thereby influence the battle. I might see what heroes of battle has going for it as well.

Your party is invited to participate in an upcoming music festival. There they learn that a music group has mysteriously gone missing. The party then investigates a rumor where listening to a certain song at midnight will allegedly show a dead bard. Your party listen to this song themselves and are then sucked into the Midnight Stage.

There, they discover a mysterious entity is using strange ribbons and a song to force Shadows to form a bond with her, effectively brainwashing anyone who comes into contacts with the ribbons. Unable to use violence in this world, the group discover that they can use the power of song and dance to express their feelings to the Shadows, freeing them from the voice's control.

Jacob Lewis

Ye Olde GM
Dragon Age: Origins on Moonshae Isles (4e FR setting)

Dragon Age is one of the few CRPGs I have ever finished and played more than once. The story elements are compelling, evocative, and just downright awesome. For me, it hits all the right notes for a dark, gritty, and fantastic world where morality and politics are as tangible and tantalising as the adventure itself!

As much as I would love to run a campaign based solely on that world and storyline, I think it would be fun and interesting to transpose the storyline and elements into another setting with a different, but compelling flavor. And for this idea, I found the Moonshae Isles is a near-perfect canvas!

Most of the themes and elements of DA will find purchase within the Celtic-inspired and self-contained setting. The elves are at odds with non-fey inhabitants, and wizards are largely feared and mistrusted. The "beast" can be easily reimagined as a "dragon" that emerges during the time of a blight. The historic feud between the Ffolk and Northmen provide a background of conflict, while the ongoing of expansion from outsiders, such as traders from Amn and Baldur's Gate, continue to bring new beliefs and philosophies that clash with the ideas and interests of the nature-centric peoples. And so on.

It would take some amount of conversion and adaptation, but a campaign could potentially write itself! But alas, it is something I would not likely get around to with too many higher-priority items on my plate. Maybe one day...

Orban Sirgen

Villager
Here are two more campaign ideas a friend and I came up with but never got to play...

A party of pirate bards who only plunder other ships of rum... Character names: Captain Morgan, Jim Beam, Jack Daniels, and Jose Cuervo...

A group of gnome monk/artificers in colorful costumes with giant combining mecha... They spend just as much time outside the mecha fixing it because, you know, gnomes...

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
Here are two more campaign ideas a friend and I came up with but never got to play...

A party of pirate bards who only plunder other ships of rum... Character names: Captain Morgan, Jim Beam, Jack Daniels, and Jose Cuervo...

A group of gnome monk/artificers in colorful costumes with giant combining mecha... They spend just as much time outside the mecha fixing it because, you know, gnomes...

Both of these ideas are GOLD. I can't stand pirates, but wow, now I want to play Jack or Jose. And then a group of Gnome Super Robot artificers? Done.

Adventure set between the events of Temple of Elemental Evil and Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil. All the characters are aspects of Iuz searching for Zuggtmoy. It runs through most of the old Tharizdun-centric modules and the entire campaign is played as an evil parody of Super Mario Brothers (Iuz is Mario, Zuggtmoy is Peach Toadstool, the Vathugu are the Mushroom Retainers, and Tharizdun is Bowser Koopa etc.)

GnomeWorks

Adventurer
This reminded me of a campaign that I always wanted to run based on Final Fantasy Chrystal Chronicles. ... Myrrh is produced by special trees that mysteriously only grow in dangerous places that monsters flock to.

I stole the myrrh trees from CC and inserted them into my own setting, as the source of the primary component needed to make magic items.

More importantly, however: I inverted the relationship between monsters and the trees. Myrrh trees sprout under certain conditions, and their presence draws monsters and/or causes local animals and such to mutate into monsters. The older the tree, the more powerful the monsters it draws/produces. Some get bold and drink of the myrrh from the tree, turning into crazy-powerful unique variations on their type.

This way, I can use monsters of all sorts without relying on the tired "mad wizard experiment gone wrong" nonsense, satisfactorily explain why weird unique monsters exist, and give adventurers a solid reason to exist in the setting, all simultaneously.

Gilladian

Adventurer
I work in a private membership library by day, and I teach library science as adjunct faculty at a state university by night.
:cool:
Ah, very different! Interesting how it all comes down to the same skillset, though. I hope this horrible virus scare is not disrupting your library too much. We're closed for at least two weeks, though we staff are all still going in.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases