D&D General The campaign you will never get to run

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I found a picture of the All Dwarf (+ one female drow) Campaign. (Well, not really, but when I saw it I had to post.)
View attachment 120020
Our 4Ed campaign was almost that. We had a bunch of dwarves and a single human wizard, with a focus on snow/ice/cold powers, even. Then we had a late addition to the group who played another human PC...

Oofta

Legend
Meanwhile want to run an all elf party ...

download (1).jpg

Orban Sirgen

Villager
There are definitely different plots that can be explored. However, I feel that in order for it to truly feel like a Jurassic Park campaign, it would have to be set in Jurassic Park, or on Site B. Otherwise I feel that the campaign would not meet the expectations of my players.

So there is an inherent contradiction in wanting it to feel familiar, while also trying to subvert expectations. That sit he main reason I have not run a JP campaign yet.
Jurassic World 2 ended with dinos escaping to the mainland, so it could easily be a group dealing with that...

Jurassic World 2 ended with dinos escaping to the mainland, so it could easily be a group dealing with that...

So did Jurassic Park (the book). However, when you run a Jurassic Park campaign, your players will expect to be playing in a themepark setting. That to me is also what makes the setting compelling. It is a combination between Disney Land gone horribly wrong and a dinosaur adventure. So the escaped dinos may serve as a prologue (as they did in the book) to introduce the player characters.

Or, if I base the campaign on Jurassic Park 2, it will be more of a safari on a dino island set against the background of Jurassic Park. I have no desire to base the campaign on any of the newer movies, because they are pretty stupid, and probably shouldn't be considered canon. I would want to base the campaign mostly on the books, with some references to the movies in regards to things I liked (such as characterisation, visual design and audio/music).

Remove ads