D&D 5E The case for (and against) a new Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting book

teitan

Legend
See I just don't think adventures are the answer. Sure put it in there for use with those but like I've said in the past, reprint that stuff in a compilation later. They might do it, who knows? But it isn't the answer.

Mercurius

Legend
I mean, I kind of agree with everything you've written here... except FR already has one setting book, the SCAG. Not sure why it deserves to have 2 released before GH, Ravenloft or DL have one.

I mean, here is all the setting material published for FR so far;
  • The SCAG (covering the entirety of the Sword Coast)
  • Tyranny of Dragons (covering the SC, but also Thay)
  • Out of the Abyss (the Underdark beneath the SC)
  • Tomb of Annihilation (Chult)
  • Waterdeep Dragon Heist (Waterdeep)
  • Baldur's Gate Descent into Avernus (Baldur's Gate)

That's a lot of material. And I don't think it is going to stop either; every annual adventure contains something relevant to FR. So I don't think WotC is interested in revisiting another setting book for them, when their adventures keep providing new material instead.

Well this reminder somewhat convinces me that it isn't there plan to release a setting book, at least not a traditional one, but I don't think it negaes the need or at least usefulness of one.

As for Greyhawk, as I've said up-thread, I think that is a grognard pipe-dream. I just don't think it has the wide appeal. Ravenloft? Maybe, but if the above list negates the need for an FR book, then why not Curse of Strahd?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
See I just don't think adventures are the answer. Sure put it in there for use with those but like I've said in the past, reprint that stuff in a compilation later. They might do it, who knows? But it isn't the answer.

Ah, but what is the question that determines the answer...? If the question is "what is most useful to a broad enough range of fans to continue being profitable" then...yeah, they might be the answer.

Coroc

Hero
From personal experience, there is massive quality of life improvement having that technology over, say, printing a map, when working a job that requires constant novel navigation (delivery, service shuttle, etc.)...

Yep everything has some useful purpose too, but I grew up not needing them and to me they are just a nuisance. Some robotic voice babbling constantly where to go next enervates me.

Coroc

Hero
Well this reminder somewhat convinces me that it isn't there plan to release a setting book, at least not a traditional one, but I don't think it negaes the need or at least usefulness of one.

As for Greyhawk, as I've said up-thread, I think that is a grognard pipe-dream. I just don't think it has the wide appeal. Ravenloft? Maybe, but if the above list negates the need for an FR book, then why not Curse of Strahd?

Strahd is very popular. If people only played one Ravenloft module ever, then it is a Castle Ravenloft I6 or such with a high probability.
So this is brand recocnition, like Xanathar the Beholder, Elminster or Drizzt.
People who do not read/write on Enworld still recognize and remember some of these figures.

teitan

Legend

My thoughts are of the old settings that could do well, moreso than Spelljammer or some of the other more out there settings thrown out by long term fans, that Greyhawk is actually ripe for a revival. Saltmarsh is an excellent test for that. It's been how long since the Flanaess was being supported? The LGG was 2000 yeah? That's 20 year ago. While Spelljammer has had longer, it was a very weird idea and while many of the ideas sound really cool I remember it not being particularly well received and weird for weirdness sake at times.

Greyhawk is different from the MTG settings etc. It's a very different feel from FR. Grungier, grimier and that is even before the Wars. So much of the classic lore comes from GH. It's different from Wildemount as well. It's more grounded. It's a DM's setting as well. Maybe. I agree Dark Sun is in the pipeline but something tells me GH might be as well. And Dragonlance as an adventure path retelling the War of the Lance but opened up a bit more to allow for other PCs and such with a chapter on the setting and deities. I'd buy DL that way and run the crap out of it.

Unless my GM was changing a lot of stuff behind the scenes, there was no Death Curse related materials in 80% of the places we visited. The few places that did have something to do with the DC were mostly "Go here, find this person, talk to them to get pointed to the next location".

I don't agree that you can't run Chult: Generic Adventures from the ToA book with little to no adjustments.
That still reinforces my point. The conceit of the Death Curse is still inescapable. You are still playing with a substantial portion with the Death Curse.
In addition you are coming at it with the perspective of a player. You simply do not have the entire picture. What your DM would have changed would have been extensive.

My thoughts are of the old settings that could do well, moreso than Spelljammer or some of the other more out there settings thrown out by long term fans, that Greyhawk is actually ripe for a revival. Saltmarsh is an excellent test for that. It's been how long since the Flanaess was being supported? The LGG was 2000 yeah? That's 20 year ago. While Spelljammer has had longer, it was a very weird idea and while many of the ideas sound really cool I remember it not being particularly well received and weird for weirdness sake at times.

Greyhawk is different from the MTG settings etc. It's a very different feel from FR. Grungier, grimier and that is even before the Wars. So much of the classic lore comes from GH. It's different from Wildemount as well. It's more grounded. It's a DM's setting as well. Maybe. I agree Dark Sun is in the pipeline but something tells me GH might be as well. And Dragonlance as an adventure path retelling the War of the Lance but opened up a bit more to allow for other PCs and such with a chapter on the setting and deities. I'd buy DL that way and run the crap out of it.

Please no more War of the Lance Dragonlance.

The "places that are relevant to the Adventure" are basically everything of significance in late 15th century Chult, though. Port Nyanzaru is the city on the peninsula.
What if the players do not want to go to the "places of significance"? What if they want to explore the Land of Ash and Smoke? What if they want to explore the Valley of Dread? What if they want to explore the Sky Lizard Mountains? What if they want to explore Samarach? Etc
There is a huge swarth of area ripe for exploration. But there is simply not much detail at all. If the book were a true "mini setting" these sites would also be detailed. Guess what is detailed though. Sites that are relevant to the adventure.

Remove ads