D&D 5E The case for (and against) a new Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting book

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
Feature of an adventure book. Yes. Not so much if people also claim it is a mini-setting.

I mean, I'm saying ToA has eveything you need to run an adventure in Chult.

If you think you need Ubtao's specific portfolio defined in order to run a Chultan adventure... then clearly we have different definitions on what we need to run adventures.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Agreed. Despite my initial resistance, I'm very happy with the idea of "let's get just enough shelf space to introduce this setting". I'm still not thrilled that the Realms are what are used for all the adventures and think it'd be better if they spread out the love a bit. But... It's better than nothing and the simplified setting books don't suck.
Edit: spelling

The Forgotten Realms is, I'd say, uniquely well-suited to this strategy of providing mini-Setting/Adventure books: it has a large quantity of high-quality information that is specific enough to be helpful for someone who wants to run it straight, while being generic enough to be transportable to other Settings including Homebrew.

If the Forgotten Realms didn't exist, WotC would have to invent it.

If you think you need Ubtao's specific portfolio defined in order to run a Chultan adventure... then clearly we have different definitions on what we need to run adventures.
The point is that Ubtao is the principal deity of Chult. Players who want to play native Chultans who worship Ubtao need something to work off of. That DM is told ToA has everything they need to run adventures in Chult. But then they are told to Google. There is a disconnect.

A DM needs the sites as cited that are missing information to run a coherent adventure. Clearly they do not have everything they need to run an adventure in Chult.

G

Guest 6801328

Yeah, well I think all you NEED is a set of dice. One set, for everybody to share.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
The point is that Ubtao is the principal deity of Chult. Players who want to play native Chultans who worship Ubtao need something to work off of. That DM is told ToA has everything they need to run adventures in Chult. But then they are told to Google. There is a disconnect.

A DM needs the sites as cited that are missing information to run a coherent adventure. Clearly they do not have everything they need to run an adventure in Chult.

You don't need this information... ToA clearly states enough lore about Ubtao that you can guess safely what his portfolio is, or apply the domain you think fits best. There is no need for google, you can use your copy of the Player's Handbook to pick a domain easily.

Considering by googling Ubtao it's just going to tell you what his portfolios are in previous editions, you'll have to guess which 5E ones to pick for him anyway, so it's not that helpful.

If your ability to create your own adventure is broken by missing a god's portfolio (I assure you I need no such thing), then you may be googling for more help regardless of what setting book you buy.

EDIT: Checking my PH now, Ubtao works great for Nature and Life domains.

Last edited:

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Yeah, well I think all you NEED is a set of dice. One set, for everybody to share.
You don't even NEED that much. Once we were diceless many years ago and I ran a short adventure. If I needed a d20 rolled, I just picked a number in my head between 1 and 20 to be 1 and went from there. So if I picked 9 in my head to be 1 and the player told me 14, he rolled a 6. If he told me 8, he rolled a 20. It was slow, but we were still teenagers and we made it work gosh darn it!

G

Guest 6801328

If your ability to create your own adventure is broken by missing a god's portfolio (I assure you I need no such thing), then you may be googling for more help regardless of what setting book you buy.

Apparently my gentle sarcasm didn't get the point across.

Let me try parody instead:

"What else do you need other than knowing that there's a place called Chult that is mostly jungle? If you need your hand held beyond that, maybe you should try Hello Kitty: Island Adventure?"

I see absolutely nothing wrong with wanting more detail than what is in ToA. It's not what I personally want, however to suggest as you do that the level of detail you want is fine, but that anybody who wants more detail is a bad DM (which is kinda what you're saying) is ridiculous, arrogant, and offensive.

All three at once! Hat trick!

Remove ads