• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Case For Castles & Crusades

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
I also like the fact that there is a lot of fan support for CnC and attempts to create other character classes and other such experiments. I know 3.5 can make the same claim in spades, but I also prefer the simpler system of CnC.

Check this out:

Troll Lord Games

How cool is that? Plus I have now discovered that I have to have my wife buy everything, because they now give the discount to Veterans of the Iraq/Afghanistan War. Which she is.

Wow that IS great, wish I'd known when I ordered the digest books, obviously only if it applies to Her Majesties Royal Air Force vets of Iraq ;)

kitsune9

Adventurer
The Case For Castles & Crusades

Time: Plain and simple. Look, I have a wife, 2 kids and 1 on the way, and a lot more responsibility than Young Zack ever did. C&C's system, the SIEGE Engine, is so simple that it usually takes all of 3-5 minutes for gamers to get the gist of it. I want to be able to use all the resources I've built up over the years, run a game that encourages active, fast, inspiring GM (CK) rulings, not pace-killing rules lookup. I want low prep time, employing notes and material I already have. I'm ready to get back to the basics, and get down to gaming in a faster and leaner fashion.

This is why I like it.

Estlor

Explorer
Well one of the advantages (dependent of course on ones own preferences) of the saving throws in CnC vs. the Fort/Ref/Will is that you don't have any real dump stats... it makes every stat matter at least somewhat because it is attached to a particular save.

I can see the value in that. Then again, I think the 4e approach - turn the saves into defenses so you have to attack with spells/effects, then simply don't key every attack off of Strength and Dexterity - solves the problem without sacrificing elegance. But if retro D&D is your cup of tea, then I guess C&C does it well within the constraints of the system.

*shrugs* Dump stats in 2e/3e never bothered me all that much. Adventurers, by their very nature, are already a strange and intimidating bunch. An entire party with low Charisma wouldn't entirely be out of place.

Imaro

Legend
I can see the value in that. Then again, I think the 4e approach - turn the saves into defenses so you have to attack with spells/effects, then simply don't key every attack off of Strength and Dexterity - solves the problem without sacrificing elegance. But if retro D&D is your cup of tea, then I guess C&C does it well within the constraints of the system.

*shrugs* Dump stats in 2e/3e never bothered me all that much. Adventurers, by their very nature, are already a strange and intimidating bunch. An entire party with low Charisma wouldn't entirely be out of place.

Uhm... 4e doesn't really solve the problem of dump stats... in fact it basically says... "Hey, half your stats can be dump stats and for the majority of classes it won't matter."

This is because you usually have one stat as attack stat that also works as one of your save stats... and then your next two highest you use as your other two save stats. So instead of solving the problem, you now have three dump stats. As I said upthread, CnC actually makes every stat important to your character.

Votan

Explorer
I like to use it both as a training tool (after starting with something even lighter, like savage worlds) and to put the fear into players (yes, I will brutally murder your painstakingly crafted pc in but a single round if you let me) due to the fast roll up times.

The faster time to develop a character really does make killing a character more viable during a standard session. The number of design choices in 3.0/3.5 D&D makes it difficult to introduce a new character on short notice.

Ilvarin

First Post
As for alternatives to Vancian magic, I like the look of the system in Spellcraft & Swordplay. Essentially it has a roll to cast, with three outcomes: Success wherein the mage retains use of the spell, Success, but the mage"forgets" the spell, and Failure which is forgetting and, well, failing. I like the fact that it retains certain aspects, like spell books (which I love the idea of because DM-crafted spell books make neat treasure finds). So, I plan to incorporate this system, which shouldn't be difficult at all.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads