D&D General The Case for Evil Orcs (Minor Rings of Power Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whether you intend to say things or not, you are speaking in the context of a world in which those issues exist, and are a heavy burden on many people.

The end result, intentional or not, is as if you are walking up to an open mike and saying, "I don't want to say anything about your problems, but what do you think about this setup that seems directly analogous to these problems?"

Every time we try to handwave away major issues for others, we look pretty insensitive to those issues.
on tic tok there is a creator I have avoided interacting with but who is blowing up. He is of the belief that any evil you put in your world that could be even slightly based on real world evil shows that YOU the DM support that evil (yes even if it's the bad guys, yes even if you say its the ancient past and the world out grew that evil). Multi posters have tried to figure out how you have ANY villains if theft, racism, sexism, and murder are all off the table... and I am not sure I agree with any of this.

now having said that I 100% support the idea of talking to your table... maybe 1 table is fine with 1 and not another. I know that I personally want a warning about if there is sexism in a setting, but I default to assuming theft murder and major war crimes will be okay...

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
If the creature is "killable" non-person, then it cant be sapient, mustnt resemble any reallife cultures or combination thereof, and is better off without the capacity of language.

If one wants killable, fight automaton constructs.
That would make for a very boring game.

DM: "You enter the room and see the king being held by 4 automaton constructs!"
Players: "Again?! We're 17th level and haven't fought anything else! Can't we fight a vampire?"
DM: "Sorry, those are sapient, have culture and can speak."

That would make for a very boring game.

DM: "You enter the room and see the king being held by 4 automaton constructs!"
Players: "Again?! We're 17th level and haven't fought anything else! Can't we fight a vampire?"
DM: "Sorry, those are sapient, have culture and can speak."
again, so you get in and there is an elf, 2 orcs, a dragonborn and a human holding the king... (yeah I made it 5 not 4) and no one questions "wait are all X evil?" not at all... but these guys are your enemies

Mecheon

Sacabambaspis
So if I had labeled the thread "The Case for Draconians" instead would the responses be different,do you think? That is, it is specifically the connection between racist tropes and orcs etc... that is the problem? If we cut out that language but still talk about inherently evil biological creatures created by some malevolent cosmic force, is it "okay"?
Draconians are canonically able to have moral choice. Like, there isn't any debate there, there was a whole novel series about "Draconians find out their origin, overthrow their oppressors, and set out on their own"
Maybe we should have kept those latter two.
Vashar had a cool backstory that could have been neat (But was absolutely fumbled) and Jerren were just... Bad. Like, not evil, just bad.
How is it that it's still okay for devils and demons (terms regularly applied to people) to still be evil but not orcs which only have loose association to real world slurs?
Because its not the terms. Its the "One civilisation that puts itself in the position of being 'higher' is using that to crush cultures who aren't at that level of development and justify it by calling the beings being crushed as evil" is something that happened to cultures throughout history.

Demons and Devils are supernatural beings summoned from another realm who don't permanently die, don't really have culture, and exist to do horrible things. Goblins and Orcs are not supernatural. They have children, culture, lives, cities, hopes, dreams. They're people.

I want fun fantasy adventure games, not "Let's reenact real attrocities (its okay we're claiming the people you're doing this against are evil its fine"

If you reallly want an all evil race, make them the Borg or Terminators or something

Bagpuss

Legend
Note that this bit about evil races and world building also applies to inherently good races and world building, and I think most D&D worlds need more of those, too.

Ah but the usual reason for why there are inherently evil races is because the evil god that created them doesn't give them the same amount of free-will that good gods give to their creations. Thus inherently good races tend to be race because the sentient races created by good gods, have free-will thus can choose to act in a evil manner.

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
on tic tok there is a creator I have avoided interacting with but who is blowing up. He is of the belief that any evil you put in your world that could be even slightly based on real world evil shows that YOU the DM support that evil (yes even if it's the bad guys, yes even if you say its the ancient past and the world out grew that evil). Multi posters have tried to figure out how you have ANY villains if theft, racism, sexism, and murder are all off the table... and I am not sure I agree with any of this.

now having said that I 100% support the idea of talking to your table... maybe 1 table is fine with 1 and not another. I know that I personally want a warning about if there is sexism in a setting, but I default to assuming theft murder and major war crimes will be okay...
It is hard to fathom how twisted and weird things have gotten. From we are saving the village from scary monsters to: if you dream it, it is YOU.

This is unhinged. Not sure how this person, if serious, operates in the real world.

Turn that nonsense off. This attitude is asking for mental anguish and hand wringing.

There are some of us who are raising families, have very tough jobs and want to knock back a few beers with friends and adventure. No thanks to adding this sort of misery.

Last edited:

Vaalingrade

Legend
Like what is functionally different if you run into orc mercenaries who are just okay killing people for money, some orc fanatics that just straight agree with the big bad who is never an orc but is also still good to kill, and just don't imply there's some evil orc village our there with evil old orc ladies baking evil pies and leaving them to cool on evil window sills.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases