The Center of Time OOC Discussion

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
Cerulean Lion, I have not. I would notify you guys when I do, as I could hardly start without you! I still need to get everyone their cyphers and oddities, and I would like to wait for input from fireinthedust and Chronicler before going ahead and switching from Beale to homebrew in terms of plot. They have a vote, too. I also need Chronicler's character and background, Shayuri's background, and for everyone to figure out how the party is connected. I need them, as I prefer a character-driven game.

Not to mention joesys has only had a few days to respond, so he/she might not even realize this game has resurrected. It's also possible we may get some requests to join the game as we move into the weekend and some people have more time to check the website.

I really do want to emphasize the importance of everyone's backstory. I'm not saying you have to write a small novella like fireinthedust (a very engaging novella, though!), but that background helps give you justification if you want to spend XP on short term-character benefits and helps me as a DM learn about your character as much as possible before we begin play. That way I can hopefully start to tailor the game to the specifics wants and needs of your characters.

I want to know (at least in general) where you grew up, or at least how you got started on your path. Maybe your journey only really began once you found a teacher/were in a strange storm/ate some odd fruit. Let me know the origin of your abilities (maybe your character him/herself doesn't really know, but you can tell me). Why is your character traveling with these other people? (This is where those Connection suggestions in the various character creation sections of the book come in handy.) What does he/she hope to get out of this journey? What does your character ultimately hope to do? It may be that he/she's only interested in survival, or doesn't plan beyond the end of the next job, but perhaps your character hopes to discover the origin of his/her powers, learn everything possible about numenera, find the man that killed their father, become wealthy enough to buy their own town, or maybe marry the king's daughter and settle down to rule the kingdom of their birth... after the coup, of course.

The background for my sample character is fairly scanty, but your character is the one on the line for this game. Make everything count! :)

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
Cyphers and Oddities!

Duncan Kull:
Cypher - Psychic Communique (lvl 3) - A tiny knot of steel with what looks like organic blue rootlets emerging from it. To activate it, press it to your temple.
Cypher - Ray Emitter (lvl 8) - A belt of smooth synth with tiny depressions that make it look like it would fit neatly over the plates on your spine. It will emit fiercely concentrated lethal light.
Oddity - A wristband of thin plates of overlapping gold-colored metal. It buzzes when in complete darkness.

Zaccheus Varrillion
Cypher - Skill Boost [Sneaking] (lvl 6) - A rod with five tiny needles, pressing a switch on the back will make all five inject at once.
Cypher - Shock Nodule (lvl 5) - A faceted violet crystal that pulses with restless yellow light.
Oddity - A smooth yellow ceramic ring that makes you feel as if gentle hands are caressing your body.

Echo
Cypher - Phase Disruptor (lvl 7) - A pyramid-shaped vial five inches high, a selection of symbols running down one edge. When the right symbols are pressed, it sprays the area to be affected with a peculiar mist.
Cypher (occultic, counts as 2) - Teleporter [traveler] (lvl 8) - A silver bodysuit covered with a fine white and red mesh, with straps to synch it down in a various patterns.
Oddity - Silver puddle of liquid metal that follows you around and occasionally forms into odd shapes when resting.
Oddity - Wooden rod that increases in length 1 inch a month.

fireinthedust

Explorer
A GM run an adventure all the players don't have access to? Shocking!

I'm good, so long as we get this show on the road. It's getting on a month and I've not rolled a single die for this game. Other games it's longer. I'm going through gaming withdrawl.

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
I have a little paragraph up on the first post giving the general gist for The Center of Time, which is what I will be re-naming this thread.

Fireinthedust, when you put your cyphers/oddity on your character sheet, would you mind giving a brief summary of Duncan's background? I don't always have the time to hunt through a novella for the names of the nemeses I may be bringing back to haunt you...

:devil:

Or not.

Maybe.

:angel:

Chronicler

Explorer
A homebrewed adventure sounds more appealing to me than The Beale of Boregal, so I'm fine with that. And I'm working on a character, so stats and background should be forthcoming soon'ish.

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
Oh, and everyone take a gander at the new first paragraph and figure out a reason why you're in Norou. Fame, fortune, dream, vision, research, whim, you know your destiny/next big thing/answers lie through the Sheer, beyond the Beyond...

fireinthedust

Explorer
I have a little paragraph up on the first post giving the general gist for The Center of Time, which is what I will be re-naming this thread.

Fireinthedust, when you put your cyphers/oddity on your character sheet, would you mind giving a brief summary of Duncan's background? I don't always have the time to hunt through a novella for the names of the nemeses I may be bringing back to haunt you...

:devil:

Or not.

Maybe.

:angel:

Heh, actually his master died in the arena battle, and the other bad guys... well, I'm getting to them in future installments. :D

Shayuri

First Post
Okay, so background is posted.

A couple of things. First, this is a rough draft. There's plenty of room to extend it forward to have a more detailed meeting with the other player characters as she plies her trade and searches for answers. There's also room for me to extend it backwards and talk about other people she knows, going back as far as her reliable memories go.

I also have ideas for what happened, which I'd be happy to share, but I have no objections to the good GM twisting Echo's situation to suit the game's story. As such, any changes you request me to make in Echo's background and/or 'memories' will be made.

fireinthedust

Explorer
Anyone else noticed a slow down in posting to this forum? Talking the Talk is really slow today.

Foes: For Duncan, I see him as very much a Conan figure, travelling from place to place fighting as needed, adventuring, etc. I would like to have an Arch-Nano dark sorcerer type (re: Toth Amon or Yara from Tower of the Elephant) who he's crossed several times and escaped.

Remove ads