D&D 5E The challenges of high level adventure design.

dave2008

Legend
I stated the solution long ago in the topic.

In a dungeon, you challenge the PCs with things that strain or restrict their resource and management of them.

The 5e Mage challenges a Tier 2 party with Tier 3 features.
The 5e Archmage challenges a Tier 3 party with Tier 4 features
The 5e great wyrm challenges a Tier 4 party with Tier 5 features
There - fixed it for you. ;)

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Or as others have said, embrace them. Always restricting or strain them is not necessarily good/fun design either.

Also, it is not like I need tier 5 (which does exist in 5e) to challenge tier 4 adventurers. I find that assumption flawed.
I think you are confusing things.
There's Dungeon Adventure and NonDungeon Adventure.

Dungeon Adventure is about resource management. Dungeons are about traveling through X number of enclosed encounter at the party's pace within an adventuring day. NonDungeon Adventure does not have to be this.

If you want to do a Dungeon Adventure, you need features stronger than the party to hold them between the bounds and walls of the dungeon to drain their resources.

As PC level, they becomes stronger and slicker. So you need tougher stuff to brace the walls and force them to stay on a path within the drain of the dungeon. Usually these stuff are of higher tier. Thicker walls. Tougher locks. Richer factions. Stronger and Smart Monsters.

The idea behind the Tucker's Kobolds or the Mighty orc tribe is that the mnsters have the resources, allies, or upgraded leaders to make cheesing them with low level magic harder. They beat your Tier 1 magic with Tier 2 tech, wealth, and diplomacy.

The same applies to Tier 4.

If you are not doing a dungeon, you don't need the higher tier stuff.

dave2008

Legend
I think you are confusing things.
There's Dungeon Adventure and NonDungeon Adventure.
We have already been over this.
Dungeon Adventure is about resource management. Dungeons are about traveling through X number of enclosed encounter at the party's pace within an adventuring day. NonDungeon Adventure does not have to be this.

If you want to do a Dungeon Adventure, you need features stronger than the party to hold them between the bounds and walls of the dungeon to drain their resources.

As PC level, they becomes stronger and slicker. So you need tougher stuff to brace the walls and force them to stay on a path within the drain of the dungeon. Usually these stuff are of higher tier. Thicker walls. Tougher locks. Richer factions. Stronger and Smart Monsters.

The idea behind the Tucker's Kobolds or the Mighty orc tribe is that the mnsters have the resources, allies, or upgraded leaders to make cheesing them with low level magic harder. They beat your Tier 1 magic with Tier 2 tech, wealth, and diplomacy.

The same applies to Tier 4.

If you are not doing a dungeon, you don't need the higher tier stuff.
I disagree and you have done nothing to prove your point other than say it is so. I think we should just agree to disagree.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
While I agree with you in principle, the dragons in the MM are hands down the worst designed monsters of 5E -- doubly so the great wyrms.

That's because the MM dragons are just Tier 2 monsters with bigger numbers.

That's what I mean. They don't challenge the features and equipment of Tier 3 and 4 PCs. They don't make players say "Good thing I got (Class Feature) at level 13 or looted that (Magic item) last dungeon." They don't make you appreciate your high level stuff.

Like I randomly opened the PHB to the Paladin section. And I see Cleansing Touch. End a spell with a touch CHAmod/LR. Know what makes that fun? Being affected by several scary spells and ending them.

You know what non-variant Big Old Red lacks....

dave2008

Legend
While I agree with you in principle, the dragons in the MM are hands down the worst designed monsters of 5E -- doubly so the great wyrms.
Yes and no IMO. The 5e dragons are not well designed, but they are very close. They get a lot better if you just give them their lair actions for free, which I did. Now I use my own designs. This is what a great wyrm should look like: Red Dragon, Great Wyrm (Elite, CR 30)

Reynard

Legend

That's what I mean. They don't challenge the features and equipment of Tier 3 and 4 PCs. They don't make players say "Good thing I got (Class Feature) at level 13 or looted that (Magic item) last dungeon." They don't make you appreciate your high level stuff.

Like I randomly opened the PHB to the Paladin section. And I see Cleansing Touch. End a spell with a touch CHAmod/LR. Know what makes that fun? Being affected by several scary spells and ending them.

Dragons shouldn't have spells. They should have dragony abilities that make high levels paladins soil their chainmail shorts. They are not only fundamental figures of fantasy the world over, they are IN THE NAME.

Lazy, boring dragons in D&D are unforgivable.

dave2008

Legend

I get your point, but I personally don't want my dragons relying on spells to challenge PCs. IMO, they should have scary offense and hardy defense. Not every tier 4-5 threat needs to be a riddle.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Dragons shouldn't have spells. They should have dragony abilities that make high levels paladins soil their chainmail shorts. They are not only fundamental figures of fantasy the world over, they are IN THE NAME.

Lazy, boring dragons in D&D are unforgivable.
Spells or not, dragons should challenge the features of the PCs of their CR.

They don't. And this is because the designers of 5e mostly played or pushed unoptimized stereotypical D&D when they designed the game.

Remove ads