The Charming Warden

Rae ArdGaoth

Visitor
This is an adventure for characters of levels 1 or 2. It begins in a back room of the Red Dragon Inn. If your character is just coming from the tavern, please make a brief entry post, indicating your character's level, class (OOC), description, and demeanor (IC).

Jon Kilran, Rilithorne's apprentice and the sponsor of this job, will give a short description of the job, and will then ask you why he should choose you. After everybody's had a chance to speak, he will choose 4 or 5 people to carry his cargo.

(Jon's advertisement in the RDI)
 

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Jonah human male

Reaching the backroom Jonah notices the young man Jon sitting at a large table with chairs all around it. Not knowing excatly what to do the tall man stands at the doorway for a moment before stepping in and extending a hand with one long arm.

"My names Jonah Stone," he says with a smile. His sandy brown hair falling in front of his hazel colored eyes, on reflexes he reaches up to push the hair out of his eyes.

"Dis here be Blue," he says nodding to the big dog beside him.

The first impression Jonah gives to anyone is his height and long limbs. Standing a little over six feet he is all arms and legs. The second (and most embrassing to Jonah) is the large nose at the center of the man's face. It seems out of place with it's roundness while everything else about the man is long and thin.

Jonah carries a sack over his shoulder and a walking staff in his other hand. A club and dagger on one side of his belt help to balanace the weight of a sickle on the other side. To round out his "arsenal" he has a sling tucked into his belt as well.

He wears no visible armor, just green and brown clothes, with a drab green hood over his padded tunic, and wool leggings. He looks like a commoner come straight from the farm.

[sblock=Spells]
0lvl- Know Direction, Detect Poison, Virtue
1lvl- Goodberry, Calm Animals
[/sblock]

[sblock=Playing Note] Jonah doesn't know he is a druid "yet". He isn't stupid (INT 8) but close, :p. I have plans for him to learn that he has powers but for now he doesn't cast a spell knowingly. Just if someone is hurt, he is like "Oh here these 'elp me when I be 'urt." reaches in pouch and pulls out Goodberries. [/sblock]
 

Errandir

Visitor
Reis Moinnael, Half-Elf Ranger 2

Reis steps through the doorway and slides left, turning his head in a deft motion to survey the room. He presents a small, slight figure, with pointed ears that indicate an elven heritage. Upon seeing that Jonah is addressing Jon at the moment, he nods and leans back against the wall.

For the moment, Reis seems content to wait. In fact, he stands surprisingly still. His arms are folded tightly, but his angular face is relaxed, and a pair of sharp green eyes seem fixed on nothing in particular. Having come straight from the tavern, he is wearing only breeches over sturdy leather boots and a green tunic with a pattern of leaves across the shoulders. However, his forehead also seems slightly smudged, and he is carrying a soot-stained leather apron.
 
Christopher Greeneyes, Katara Sorcerer 1

Christopher has followed the small group into the back room. He posseses the natural grace of his species, and there is a small bounce to his gait. Christopher is also very curious and gregarious.

When he has the opportunity to introduce himself he does so, My name is Christopher Greeneyes. I know enough of the world that I feel safe enough wandering it. A message should be a simple matter, but I would be happy to help you, as I desire to wonder a bit.
 

Robichaud

Visitor
Jamilee, gray elf Ftr 1 / Nec 1

Jamilee enters from the main room, half a glass of wine in hand.

Although thin as a rail, she's wiry and seems less tiny and frail than most of her kin. This general impression is helped a fair bit by how she goes around armed and armoured most of the time -- although she still seems vanishingly small next to Jonah, carrying a saber and longbow across your back tends to add an inch or two to people's estimates. She's wearing a gray cloak over silks and a rather well-made chainmail shirt. On her shoulder perches a large black bird, head tucked in and apparently sleeping. Her hair's done up in a single, slightly messy braid, and one half of her face and neck bear heavy scarring, bad enough to permanently twist up one corner of her mouth.

She moves quite liquidly, and the expression on her scarred face is as close to serene and friendly as it gets. Maybe it's that wine. Her eyes scan the room; blind angles first, people's faces next.

"I'm Jamilee," she says, in a voice reminiscent of pebbles grinding against each other. "Two hnhdred is good pay for a kghrier job. What's the catch?"
 

Errandir

Visitor
Reis remains standing by the wall, though his eyes briefly dart over each newcomer as he or she enters the room. To Jamilee he offers a brief nod of recognition. Once the other three have spoken and there is a lull in the conversation, he uncoils fluidly and steps forward, extending his hand to Jon. By way of introduction, he states, "Reis Moinnael, swordsman."
 

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Jonah human male

When Christopher had entered the room Blue gave a low growl, but a quick "Hush," from Jonah stopped anything else.

Jonah just shrugs at Christopher's look and says "He just in don't know ye yet."
 
Christopher Greeneyes, Katara Sorcerer 1

When Christopher had entered the room Blue gave a low growl, but a quick "Hush," from Jonah stopped anything else.

Jonah just shrugs at Christopher's look and says "He just in don't know ye yet."
Christopher waves him off. Don't worry. I am sure he is a very pleasant fellow. I, for myself, like dogs. Maybe you could help me search for one in this city. Occasionally the Katara ride them as one would a horse, and I think I may soon need one.
 

pneumatik

The 8th Evil Sage
Tibard Mountainbore, Cleric 1

In walks a dwarf in chain mail with a shield, mace, and backpack. He's wearing a wooden holy symbol of Hyrag on a chain around his neck. "Ah, here we are. Good morning. I'm Tibard Mountainbore. Hyrag told me there were people back here who might need some of His help and asked me to come by. Whatever your mission, Hyrag will keep us all in his bright halo." He looks around the room. "So, what's the mission here?"
 

Rae ArdGaoth

Visitor
Jon is just about to get started when Tibard walks in. Jon waits awkwardly as the cleric speaks. There is a pause before Jon starts talking, as though he's waiting for more people. Finally satisfied, he addresses you all.

"Well met, gentlemen. And, er, lady. The job I have for you is simple: Take this lockbox to Trimble. He lives about 60 miles from here, in a cottage near the Faerie Woods." He pulls a small metal box from his satchel, a key out of his pocket, and places both on a table.

"Obviously the contents are valuable, though, ah... Well, I guess I don't know exactly how valuable. So take care against thieves and... and all that." He doesn't look like he really knows what to expect on this sort of assignment. Clearly, he's never done this before.

"Right then. I think the Woods are about two days from here on horseback, or four days at an easy walking pace. I've marked it on this map." He produces a map. "There's no terrible rush... as I understand it. If Rilithorne were here, he'd be there in seconds, but he's not, and Arngrim is the keeper of the coins, so we won't be paying for you all to rent borrow horses."

"We will pay you a hundred gold crowns in advance, and a hundred upon your return with a letter from Trimble. That's twenty pieces for each of you right now, and I'll leave it up to you all, about exactly how you'll get there."


He pauses, thinking for a moment, not sure if he left anything out. "You all seem capable enough. So, um. Any questions?"
 
Christopher Greeneyes, Katara Sorcerer 1

Jon is just about to get started when Tibard walks in. Jon waits awkwardly as the cleric speaks. There is a pause before Jon starts talking, as though he's waiting for more people. Finally satisfied, he addresses you all.

"Well met, gentlemen. And, er, lady. The job I have for you is simple: Take this lockbox to Trimble. He lives about 60 miles from here, in a cottage near the Faerie Woods." He pulls a small metal box from his satchel, a key out of his pocket, and places both on a table.

"Obviously the contents are valuable, though, ah... Well, I guess I don't know exactly how valuable. So take care against thieves and... and all that." He doesn't look like he really knows what to expect on this sort of assignment. Clearly, he's never done this before.

"Right then. I think the Woods are about two days from here on horseback, or four days at an easy walking pace. I've marked it on this map." He produces a map. "There's no terrible rush... as I understand it. If Rilithorne were here, he'd be there in seconds, but he's not, and Arngrim is the keeper of the coins, so we won't be paying for you all to rent borrow horses."

"We will pay you a hundred gold crowns in advance, and a hundred upon your return with a letter from Trimble. That's twenty pieces for each of you right now, and I'll leave it up to you all, about exactly how you'll get there."

He pauses, thinking for a moment, not sure if he left anything out. "You all seem capable enough. So, um. Any questions?"
Christopher listens intently as the latest arrival introduces himself, but his interest is quickly drawn back to Jon as he explains the job he has available. As Jon concludes, Christopher's tail twitches in excitement.

I would be interested in accepting your offer. I understand that the information maybe confidential, so I hope that I do not offend you by asking, but in general terms what is the nature of the object that we will be transporting? I admit that I am curious, but I would like to know if there are any special precautions that we must take in response either to the object or the road that we will be traveling.

Diplomacy (1d20+5): 21
 

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Jonah human male

"Ye is goona pay us tae walk a box to someone?!" Jonah says in voice both over-awed and seriously confused. The young farm hand has never heard of such a thing and it's no wonder people call city folk odd.
 

pneumatik

The 8th Evil Sage
Tibard Mountainbore, Cleric 1

"Who are these people you mentioned?" Tibard asks. "This Trimble, Rilithorne, and Arngrim; I've never heard of them. If Rilithorne can teleport, is he so busy that he can't teleport here and then to the cottage some time in the next four days? It definitely sounds like it would be easier."
 

Robichaud

Visitor
Jamilee

The elf quietly takes in Jon's pitch and the ensuing interrogation, only speaking up after Tibard's question.

"The one who can cast it is.." -- hack -- "..not here. Also teleportation is expensive, not without hrrisk," says Jamilee, not particularly caring about the rules of politeness concerning answering people's questions for them.

Turning to Jon, she takes a quick sip before asking, "Do you have more specific dhrnections? Faerie woods, large place."
 

Rae ArdGaoth

Visitor
Christopher listens intently as the latest arrival introduces himself, but his interest is quickly drawn back to Jon as he explains the job he has available. As Jon concludes, Christopher's tail twitches in excitement.

I would be interested in accepting your offer. I understand that the information maybe confidential, so I hope that I do not offend you by asking, but in general terms what is the nature of the object that we will be transporting? I admit that I am curious, but I would like to know if there are any special precautions that we must take in response either to the object or the road that we will be traveling.

Diplomacy (1d20+5): 21
"Oh! Yes. Of course you can have a look. I just don't want anybody on the outside getting any... Ideas. So, here." He takes the key and opens the box.

Inside is a magnificent emerald, sparkling brightly even in the dim lighting of the tavern back room. About the size of a man's fist and cut with expert precision, it is clearly a valuable stone.

"Now you see why we're hiring five adventurers from the renowned Red Dragon Inn instead of sending it by post? I trust that you will keep the chest and key separate, and... well, do whatever else you think necessary to protect the cargo."

"Who are these people you mentioned?" Tibard asks. "This Trimble, Rilithorne, and Arngrim; I've never heard of them. If Rilithorne can teleport, is he so busy that he can't teleport here and then to the cottage some time in the next four days? It definitely sounds like it would be easier."
"You haven't heard of Rilithorne?!" Jon practically shouts. "He's only the most powerful mage this side of the mountains! Arngrim is Rilithorne's accountant and personal assistant. I'm his apprentice, and let me tell you, Rilithorne barely has enough time to set a book in front of me, let alone play courier for his eccentric friends who send him strange missives when he's out of town on important business." Jon's tone is a mixture of admiration and annoyance.


The elf quietly takes in Jon's pitch and the ensuing interrogation, only speaking up after Tibard's question.

"The one who can cast it is.." -- hack -- "..not here. Also teleportation is expensive, not without hrrisk," says Jamilee, not particularly caring about the rules of politeness concerning answering people's questions for them.
Jon nods and adds, "His services are in great demand, you see. He's one of the only wizards alive today even capable of teleportation. I mean real teleportation, not the short range stunts that the best mages in the city guard can barely pull off."

"And even Rilithorne can make a mistake and end up miles from his intended destination. For him to cast it twice in a day would absolutely exhaust his most potent spells, and even a single scroll of the sort required to pull it off is worth more than a hundred platinum dragons. So maybe now you can understand why Arngrim and I decided that hiring a few adventurers for 20 seemed like a better option."


Turning to Jon, she takes a quick sip before asking, "Do you have more specific dhrnections? Faerie woods, large place."
"Of course, ah, the route is marked clearly on the map, you can see, um, here. It's a bit off the beaten path, but you won't be going into the woods or anything. I think." He double checks the map. "Right."
 
Christopher Greeneyes, Katara Sorcerer 1

"Oh! Yes. Of course you can have a look. I just don't want anybody on the outside getting any... Ideas. So, here." He takes the key and opens the box.

Inside is a magnificent emerald, sparkling brightly even in the dim lighting of the tavern back room. About the size of a man's fist and cut with expert precision, it is clearly a valuable stone.

"Now you see why we're hiring five adventurers from the renowned Red Dragon Inn instead of sending it by post? I trust that you will keep the chest and key separate, and... well, do whatever else you think necessary to protect the cargo."
Christopher's eyes are riveted by the beauty of the emerald. His hand twitches as if he would like to reached out and touch it, but then he jerks his eyes away nervously.

[sblock=OOC]Knowledge Arcana (1d20+2=19) and Spellcraft (1d20+3=18). Does Christopher have any idea what a emerald such as this could be used for?[/sblock]
 

Robichaud

Visitor
"Now you see why we're hiring five adventurers from the renowned Red Dragon Inn instead of sending it by post? I trust that you will keep the chest and key separate, and... well, do whatever else you think necessary to protect the cargo."
Jamilee hm-hs appreciatively, nodding at the huge jewel. She looks a lot less skeptical; this reveal explains rather a lot.

"Of course, ah, the route is marked clearly on the map, you can see, um, here. It's a bit off the beaten path, but you won't be going into the woods or anything. I think." He double checks the map. "Right."
"Oh, my bad." She scoots a little closer, tilts her head looking at it. "Ah, I see now, yes, yes. Hrnable. Might make it in a day, riding hard. 'Course.." --hack-- "..everyone would need a horse." She looks to the others, questioningly.
 

Errandir

Visitor
Reis is still standing by the table. He shows every sign of listening intently to Jon's instructions and the others' questions, but asks none of his own. When the gem is uncovered, his eyes widen slightly in surprise, and he smiles appreciatively.

In response to Jamilee's inquiry, Reis shakes his head briefly. "Don't have one." He then steps forward and leans over the map, following the marked trail with one finger.
 

Rae ArdGaoth

Visitor
(OOC: Spellcraft is only useful if trying to identify a magical effect or decipher a written spell, like from a spellbook or scroll, I think.)

(Please roll on IC and post your result before reading the sblocks: )

[sblock=Knowledge (Arcana) DC: 10]Casting spells often requires material components. Gemstones of various kinds are sometimes used for this purpose, depending on the spell.[sblock=DC: 15]Diamonds are the most frequently required gemstone. They are often ground into dust before being used to cast a spell. Specifically, the spells stoneskin and the cleric's resurrection require diamonds. You can't recall any spells that require emeralds off the top of your head.[/sblock][/sblock]

Jon looks around at you all. "So then, are we agreed? A hundred crowns now, and a hundred upon your return, with a signed and sealed note from Trimble. If you could leave as soon as possible, I think Trimble would appreciate it."
 
Last edited:

Advertisement

Top