The Charming Warden

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
Jon is just about to get started when Tibard walks in. Jon waits awkwardly as the cleric speaks. There is a pause before Jon starts talking, as though he's waiting for more people. Finally satisfied, he addresses you all.

"Well met, gentlemen. And, er, lady. The job I have for you is simple: Take this lockbox to Trimble. He lives about 60 miles from here, in a cottage near the Faerie Woods." He pulls a small metal box from his satchel, a key out of his pocket, and places both on a table.

"Obviously the contents are valuable, though, ah... Well, I guess I don't know exactly how valuable. So take care against thieves and... and all that." He doesn't look like he really knows what to expect on this sort of assignment. Clearly, he's never done this before.

"Right then. I think the Woods are about two days from here on horseback, or four days at an easy walking pace. I've marked it on this map." He produces a map. "There's no terrible rush... as I understand it. If Rilithorne were here, he'd be there in seconds, but he's not, and Arngrim is the keeper of the coins, so we won't be paying for you all to rent borrow horses."

"We will pay you a hundred gold crowns in advance, and a hundred upon your return with a letter from Trimble. That's twenty pieces for each of you right now, and I'll leave it up to you all, about exactly how you'll get there."

He pauses, thinking for a moment, not sure if he left anything out. "You all seem capable enough. So, um. Any questions?"

Christopher Greeneyes, Katara Sorcerer 1

Jon is just about to get started when Tibard walks in. Jon waits awkwardly as the cleric speaks. There is a pause before Jon starts talking, as though he's waiting for more people. Finally satisfied, he addresses you all.

"Well met, gentlemen. And, er, lady. The job I have for you is simple: Take this lockbox to Trimble. He lives about 60 miles from here, in a cottage near the Faerie Woods." He pulls a small metal box from his satchel, a key out of his pocket, and places both on a table.

"Obviously the contents are valuable, though, ah... Well, I guess I don't know exactly how valuable. So take care against thieves and... and all that." He doesn't look like he really knows what to expect on this sort of assignment. Clearly, he's never done this before.

"Right then. I think the Woods are about two days from here on horseback, or four days at an easy walking pace. I've marked it on this map." He produces a map. "There's no terrible rush... as I understand it. If Rilithorne were here, he'd be there in seconds, but he's not, and Arngrim is the keeper of the coins, so we won't be paying for you all to rent borrow horses."

"We will pay you a hundred gold crowns in advance, and a hundred upon your return with a letter from Trimble. That's twenty pieces for each of you right now, and I'll leave it up to you all, about exactly how you'll get there."

He pauses, thinking for a moment, not sure if he left anything out. "You all seem capable enough. So, um. Any questions?"

Christopher listens intently as the latest arrival introduces himself, but his interest is quickly drawn back to Jon as he explains the job he has available. As Jon concludes, Christopher's tail twitches in excitement.

I would be interested in accepting your offer. I understand that the information maybe confidential, so I hope that I do not offend you by asking, but in general terms what is the nature of the object that we will be transporting? I admit that I am curious, but I would like to know if there are any special precautions that we must take in response either to the object or the road that we will be traveling.

Diplomacy (1d20+5): 21

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Jonah human male

"Ye is goona pay us tae walk a box to someone?!" Jonah says in voice both over-awed and seriously confused. The young farm hand has never heard of such a thing and it's no wonder people call city folk odd.

pneumatik

The 8th Evil Sage
Tibard Mountainbore, Cleric 1

"Who are these people you mentioned?" Tibard asks. "This Trimble, Rilithorne, and Arngrim; I've never heard of them. If Rilithorne can teleport, is he so busy that he can't teleport here and then to the cottage some time in the next four days? It definitely sounds like it would be easier."

Robichaud

Explorer
Jamilee

The elf quietly takes in Jon's pitch and the ensuing interrogation, only speaking up after Tibard's question.

"The one who can cast it is.." -- hack -- "..not here. Also teleportation is expensive, not without hrrisk," says Jamilee, not particularly caring about the rules of politeness concerning answering people's questions for them.

Turning to Jon, she takes a quick sip before asking, "Do you have more specific dhrnections? Faerie woods, large place."

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
Christopher listens intently as the latest arrival introduces himself, but his interest is quickly drawn back to Jon as he explains the job he has available. As Jon concludes, Christopher's tail twitches in excitement.

I would be interested in accepting your offer. I understand that the information maybe confidential, so I hope that I do not offend you by asking, but in general terms what is the nature of the object that we will be transporting? I admit that I am curious, but I would like to know if there are any special precautions that we must take in response either to the object or the road that we will be traveling.

Diplomacy (1d20+5): 21

"Oh! Yes. Of course you can have a look. I just don't want anybody on the outside getting any... Ideas. So, here." He takes the key and opens the box.

Inside is a magnificent emerald, sparkling brightly even in the dim lighting of the tavern back room. About the size of a man's fist and cut with expert precision, it is clearly a valuable stone.

"Now you see why we're hiring five adventurers from the renowned Red Dragon Inn instead of sending it by post? I trust that you will keep the chest and key separate, and... well, do whatever else you think necessary to protect the cargo."

"Who are these people you mentioned?" Tibard asks. "This Trimble, Rilithorne, and Arngrim; I've never heard of them. If Rilithorne can teleport, is he so busy that he can't teleport here and then to the cottage some time in the next four days? It definitely sounds like it would be easier."
"You haven't heard of Rilithorne?!" Jon practically shouts. "He's only the most powerful mage this side of the mountains! Arngrim is Rilithorne's accountant and personal assistant. I'm his apprentice, and let me tell you, Rilithorne barely has enough time to set a book in front of me, let alone play courier for his eccentric friends who send him strange missives when he's out of town on important business." Jon's tone is a mixture of admiration and annoyance.

The elf quietly takes in Jon's pitch and the ensuing interrogation, only speaking up after Tibard's question.

"The one who can cast it is.." -- hack -- "..not here. Also teleportation is expensive, not without hrrisk," says Jamilee, not particularly caring about the rules of politeness concerning answering people's questions for them.

Jon nods and adds, "His services are in great demand, you see. He's one of the only wizards alive today even capable of teleportation. I mean real teleportation, not the short range stunts that the best mages in the city guard can barely pull off."

"And even Rilithorne can make a mistake and end up miles from his intended destination. For him to cast it twice in a day would absolutely exhaust his most potent spells, and even a single scroll of the sort required to pull it off is worth more than a hundred platinum dragons. So maybe now you can understand why Arngrim and I decided that hiring a few adventurers for 20 seemed like a better option."

Turning to Jon, she takes a quick sip before asking, "Do you have more specific dhrnections? Faerie woods, large place."

"Of course, ah, the route is marked clearly on the map, you can see, um, here. It's a bit off the beaten path, but you won't be going into the woods or anything. I think." He double checks the map. "Right."

Christopher Greeneyes, Katara Sorcerer 1

"Oh! Yes. Of course you can have a look. I just don't want anybody on the outside getting any... Ideas. So, here." He takes the key and opens the box.

Inside is a magnificent emerald, sparkling brightly even in the dim lighting of the tavern back room. About the size of a man's fist and cut with expert precision, it is clearly a valuable stone.

"Now you see why we're hiring five adventurers from the renowned Red Dragon Inn instead of sending it by post? I trust that you will keep the chest and key separate, and... well, do whatever else you think necessary to protect the cargo."

Christopher's eyes are riveted by the beauty of the emerald. His hand twitches as if he would like to reached out and touch it, but then he jerks his eyes away nervously.

[sblock=OOC]Knowledge Arcana (1d20+2=19) and Spellcraft (1d20+3=18). Does Christopher have any idea what a emerald such as this could be used for?[/sblock]

Robichaud

Explorer
Jamilee hm-hs appreciatively, nodding at the huge jewel. She looks a lot less skeptical; this reveal explains rather a lot.

"Of course, ah, the route is marked clearly on the map, you can see, um, here. It's a bit off the beaten path, but you won't be going into the woods or anything. I think." He double checks the map. "Right."
"Oh, my bad." She scoots a little closer, tilts her head looking at it. "Ah, I see now, yes, yes. Hrnable. Might make it in a day, riding hard. 'Course.." --hack-- "..everyone would need a horse." She looks to the others, questioningly.

Errandir

First Post
Reis is still standing by the table. He shows every sign of listening intently to Jon's instructions and the others' questions, but asks none of his own. When the gem is uncovered, his eyes widen slightly in surprise, and he smiles appreciatively.

In response to Jamilee's inquiry, Reis shakes his head briefly. "Don't have one." He then steps forward and leans over the map, following the marked trail with one finger.

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
(OOC: Spellcraft is only useful if trying to identify a magical effect or decipher a written spell, like from a spellbook or scroll, I think.)

(Please roll on IC and post your result before reading the sblocks: )

[sblock=Knowledge (Arcana) DC: 10]Casting spells often requires material components. Gemstones of various kinds are sometimes used for this purpose, depending on the spell.[sblock=DC: 15]Diamonds are the most frequently required gemstone. They are often ground into dust before being used to cast a spell. Specifically, the spells stoneskin and the cleric's resurrection require diamonds. You can't recall any spells that require emeralds off the top of your head.[/sblock][/sblock]

Jon looks around at you all. "So then, are we agreed? A hundred crowns now, and a hundred upon your return, with a signed and sealed note from Trimble. If you could leave as soon as possible, I think Trimble would appreciate it."

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases