The Closed Door

BoldItalic

First Post
The door behind him slammed open, waking him instantly to the horrors that were surely to come…

As Edgwin turned to face the door that was to be his nemesis, he pressed his back to the wall to quell the shuddering that wracked his frame. He tried to summon up some shred of resolve to deny this nightmare but as the fear grew overwhelming, his thoughts scrabbled for purchase in his mind just as his fingernails had scratched and scraped for purchase in the wall, finding none. Somewhere in the turmoil in his soul, a formless blackness arose and spake just four words, four words that pronounced his doom, the doom that befalls every mortal being: Thine End Is Nigh.

There was a flare of light and something came through the door. Imagine a triple serpent, slain and beheaded by some valiant hero but, in a mockery of life, its three necks still jab and thrust as they seek a prey. Imagine a cyclops, one eye flashing in the red darkness as it glances hither and thither before its gaze settles inexorably on the hapless Edgwin. Imagine ... imagine ...

Imagine a voice, harsh and guttural, cutting like a halberd through the black silence that lies beyond the door.

"Okay, Magus readies a fireball spell. Blox opens the door carefully and we all probe with our ten-foot poles, checking for traps. I wave my mirror about to reflect the light of my torch through the doorway. What do I see?"

Last edited:

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
The exploration aspect has always been my favorite. What is in this foul smelling sunken temple that lies beyond these huge stone doors? Do riches and glory or horror and death await? I think back to the 1e PHB cover where they are prying that gem out of the idol. What happens then? Just a gem the size of a mans head falls free ready to be sold and months of wenching, drinking, and the high life await until its all squandered and another expedition is required? Will a gas trap go off? Or will a The Seven Black Priests situation arise? The possibilities are endless.

Remove ads