• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Closed Eye (DM: Halford, Judge: garyh)

nerdytenor

First Post
"Given your apprentice's seeming intent to antagonize the client as much as possible, perhaps we should give her some time to . . . recouperate before we descend upon her home en masse. Perhaps a few hours to examine this publication, and to ask questions about town before we expose the Lady to Palindrome's. . . humors once again."

While Tander has appeared rather passive during the last few minutes, anyone following his eyes can tell that he is focussed, taking everything in, even if not giving much out.

"Sometimes antagonistic questioning can lead to valuable insights, even though I confess I possess little talent for such questioning myself. It was worth what small amount of discomfort it may have caused the Lady. By all means, let us get a copy of the Screamer as you suggest, and then head to the estate. While one would think the Screamer an obvious source of clues that would have been examined in some depth already, I've found it surprising how willfully ignorant people can be when their loved ones are involved."

KenHood

First Post
"Given your apprentice's seeming intent to antagonize the client as much as possible, perhaps we should give her some time to . . . recouperate before we descend upon her home en masse. Perhaps a few hours to examine this publication, and to ask questions about town before we expose the Lady to Palindrome's. . . humors once again."

"Sometimes antagonistic questioning can lead to valuable insights..."

"Thank you for the kind words, Tander."

"Indeed, my friends, there was method to my madness (if you'll excuse the tired proverb). It was not my intent to antagonize the good lady, but to open her mind to a myriad of possibilities. Like a vorpal sword, my words cleave to the innermost parts. Lo, though they bespatter their surroundings in gore, they vanquish our ultimate foe: obfuscation. SNICKER SNACK! And thus does falsehood fall!"

"Consider this, my companions: Did you not notice the grandam's gesticulations? Her reticence to recite the name of the Screamer? Are not these actions consistent with the behavior of one ensorcelled to avoid a specific course of action? Could it be the beldam behaves so because she is under a geas?"

Graf

Explorer
YOU could take, say, ten minutes to an hour to cast a SINGLE DIVINATION SPELL to find the answer to this dilemna. Then I could go back to studying my rituals. [Palindrome points at Woe.] My friend over there could go back to working on a raging case of syphilis. [Palindrome casts a thumb at Tander.] He can go back to randomly addressing dieties in hopes of a response. (Like they'd ever have any time to respond between trysts with virgins and in-family fights.) [Nods at Tristan.] And he can return to writing sonnets to his lost love.
There is another harrumph; this one sounds exacerbated, or at least like it is trying to muster up an exacerbated tone.
As you well know Palindrome, Doddoddod seems to sigh slightly whenever he says Palindrome's name, divinations are but one tool at the disposal of the wizard.

One must have a hare in the hand before one seeks one in the bush. And yet if there are only hares in the bush then into the bush one must go!

" Could it be the beldam behaves so because she is under a geas?"

Perhaps we shall follow the good Occam, a wizard, I will note, of no insignificant statue, and presume, for the moment, that the lady is not actually under the effect of a magical spell.

I doubt that you, nor I, noticed any such aura about her.

"It seems we are in agreement as to our first course of action. Let us see if we can procure a copy of this publication."

Palindrome, does, in fact, know a vendor who offers "permanent" copies of the Screamer. A skinflint named Marco who's shop is one or two streets away, deeper into Cobblestop.

Last edited:

KenHood

First Post
One must have a hare in the hand before one seeks one in the bush. And yet if there are only hares in the bush then into the bush one must go![/COLOR]

There is a sort of truth in your words, master, but consider this: If one eats naught but hare, then one grows ill and dies. The hare fills the belly, but does not nourish the body. Indeed, in time, it poisons the one whose hunger it slakes.

Is it not the hallmark of civilization that--instead of seeking hare--one needs only call to the cow in the field? When the cow cometh, the slaughter takes place. Instead of the single meal of a hare, one can dine on satisfying meat for months. And this nourishment takes place with less effort than snaring the hare.

As for Occam, master, we both know that an extension of his maxim was brought to bear against the gods. To whit, if the existence of the gods does not help explain the existence of the universe, then gods are irrelevant. And shortly after postulating said theorum, furies descended upon the poor philosopher and tore him to shreds.

No, the razor of Occam is no better than the razor with which one shaves. It does its job well, if held in a steady hand, but should one wave it willy-nilly, one can lose a nose or ear.

Palindrome imitates the harrumph. And I must say that I appreciate the lengthy commentary on my reasoning processes. I had noted that all of your previous speech was less than 25 words in length and occurred in response to rather generalized cues. I had feared that--once again--you had sent an illusion in your stead.

KenHood

First Post
Palindrome, does, in fact, know a vendor who offers "permanent" copies of the Screamer. A skinflint named Marco who's shop is one or two streets away, deeper into Cobblestop.

Then let us away to this Marco! For some odd reason, I find the ambience of my 'home' rather restrictive of late.

Graf

Explorer
Magi walk is still quite in the early morning light.

Marco's shop is closed, and despite some efforts you have difficulty finding Marco before noon; when he strolls up to open his shop.

The hunchbacked halfling has an agreeable smile on his face. Love to see customers waiting. Sign of a good day.

His shop, the Dusty Quill, filled with bricabrack, is conveniently located near Scholars Plaza.

Dunamin

First Post
"While one would think the Screamer an obvious source of clues that would have been examined in some depth already, I've found it surprising how willfully ignorant people can be when their loved ones are involved."
Woe looks up from polishing his shield with his sleeve and nods at the godless priest.
“That’s a fine and well-noted point, and my impression when involved with the case was that it holds particularly true for the Screamer. There are many veiled messages that slip by even the keen reader, though I would say it is perhaps more a testimony to the literate skill of the author than the emotionally induced ignorance of his or her targets.”

The fruitless exchange between Doddoddod and his student, more like monologues with commentary, leads Woe from a state of idleness to downright boredom, and he is all too eager when they finally head out. It is not so much the superficial proverbs that bother him as the missing establishment of authority – Kern might not treat his mercs as subordinates but the old dwarf never leaves doubt about the chain of command.

“The depths of philosophical insight provided by wizards today are truly spectacular to behold,” he comments on their way out the door with a grin. “Rarely have I seen such verbosity wasted on saying so little, though it did spark my appetite. I’ll make a note of asking for refreshments at the Glasstons.”

Once they reach the Dusty Quill, Woe returns Marco’s greeting with a smile and walks slowly about to inspect the shop.

The hunchbacked halfling has an agreeable smile on his face. Love to see customers waiting. Sign of a good day.
“Ah, but the wait is hardly a burden at the prospect of what wonders one can behold among your fine merchandise, good man. Might we have a moment of your time to speak in private?”

Graf

Explorer
The merchant nods, taking on a mock-conspiratorial air he closes the door to his shop and pulls down a shade.

The gloomy little shop grows gloomier.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads