• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Closed Eye, part II (DM: covaithe, Judge: garyh)

nerdytenor

First Post
"Woe, it's right next to you!" Tander shouts, pointing out a puff of smoke to the west of the fighter. Tander steps to the east (OOC shift), and send a blast of energy forth, but the divine blast catches nothing but air (OOC natural 3 - doh. Tander saves vs vulnerability)

[sblock=Tander's head]
'Tsk tsk tsk', an annoyingly familiar voice says. 'Forgot to say my name!'
[/sblock]

[sblock=Tander Stat Block]
Tander Oaksmith, Human Cleric 2
Passive Perception 15, Passive Insight 20
AC 17, Fort 14, Reflex 15, Will 19
Resist 5 poison
HP 19/29, Bloodied 14, Surge Value 7, Surges 8/8
Speed 5, Initiative +7
Action Points: 0

Current Effects
+5 to healing powers

Encounter Resources
Spiteful Glamor
USED Divine Glow
USED Healing Word One
USED Healing Word Two
USED Channel Divinity (Turn Undead or Divine Fortune)
Second Wind
USED Use Action Point

Daily Resources
USED Beacon of Hope
Cure Light Wounds
[/sblock]

KenHood

First Post
[sblock=Plan]Go get those orcs, Dunamin! The gold tusked one can't be that far away. If I recall, when you picked up the unconscious lady, it was a standard action, so the orc should only be able to move a handful of spaces. We can handle the griefmotes.

Atriden, Arnest is double-dead. There won't be any killing him after getting bags of gold. Send Atreus after the orcs, too. That bloodied orc is just about dead. If you pop him with your sling or hurled knife, he'll be out of the game.

nerdytenor, Doesn't that energy blast count as your readied action, so you can use another action to attack?[/sblock]

Last edited:

Atriden

First Post
[sblock=Plan]
To Kenhood: Yup, I don't know how I missed that Arnest is dead. Wouldn't it be better if you ran after the half-orc since you have longer reach with your spells?

Anyway, we could always take Arnest with us and then raise him at the temple of Lauto and force him into our debt and the temple as well... and then kill him again! He will never suspect it ;)
[/sblock]

KenHood

First Post
[sblock=Plan]
To Kenhood: Yup, I don't know how I missed that Arnest is dead. Wouldn't it be better if you ran after the half-orc since you have longer reach with your spells?
Palindrome is prone, so he wouldn't be able to catch-up and attack in the same round. Otherwise, I'd have him in chase.

My plan is to move Happy adjacent to Woe's current position on the map and drop a Scorching Burst. I hope that will cause some damage to the Deathmotes.

Anyway, we could always take Arnest with us and then raise him at the temple of Lauto and force him into our debt and the temple as well... and then kill him again! He will never suspect it ;)
As long as you tell Palindrome that you plan on killing him again, I think the boy will go for it.[/sblock]

covaithe

Explorer
Round 5

Tander hollers a warning to Woe and blasts holy energy, wide of the mark.

Another flash, and Atreus and Tander once again feel cold sapping their strength. Despite the pain, Atreus hurls his dagger, striking the mote cleanly. It bobs and weaves, then disappears again. (mote 1 flashes in P7, hitting Tander and Atreus. Tander takes 5, Atreus takes 8. Both are bloodied. I think that's like 4 or 5 times for Atreus in this fight. Atreus' readied attack hits for 4 damage after resists.)

A second flash, but Woe and Tander are prepared this time, and shrug off the cold. Atreus is less ready, and feels the chill penetrate to the bone. Again the mote quickly disappears. (mote 2 flashes in P6, hitting only Atreus, for 8 damage.)

The third flash takes Tander and Palindrome unprepared, though Woe again weathers the chill. (mote 3 flashes in S3. Hits Tander and Palindrome (btw, these are vs. Fort, so no shield, sorry) for 8 damage. Tander takes 3 more from vulnerability. Palindrome is bloodied.)

[sblock=passive perception 14]A few leaves to the west of Atreus suddenly turn white with frost; something very cold is close to them.

ooc: mote 2 fumbled its stealth check in N4. It's still invisible.
[/sblock]

[sblock=initiative and status]

Tander hp 3/29 surges 8/8, bloodied, +5 to healing, 3 cold vulnerable (save ends) <=== You're up
Woe hp 25/40 surges 8/10, +2 defenses TSNT
Palindrome hp 6/24 surges 5/6, bloodied, prone
Atreus hp 5/29 surges 4/7, bloodied, vulnerable 3 cold (save ends)
Arnest dead
Half orc 1 40 damage, bloodied, vulnerable 3 cold (save ends)
Half orc 2 49 damage, dying, vuln 3 cold (save ends)
Goldtusk 10 damage
specter 1 destroyed
specter 2 dead
specter 3 dead
mote 1 4 damage, invisible, last seen in P7
mote 2 2 damage, invisible, last seen in P6.
mote 3 13 damage, invisible, last seen in S3
wraith 1 destroyed
wraith 2 destroyed
wraith 3 destroyed
wraith 4 destroyed
wraith 5 destroyed
wraith 6 destroyed
wraith 7 destroyed
wraith 8 destroyed
wraith 9 destroyed
wraith 10 destroyed
wraith 11 destroyed

Resources used:
Tander: divine glow, beacon of hope, AP, 2xHealing word, turn undead
Palindrome: grasping shadows, flaming sphere, AP
Atreus: second wind, AP
Woe: Second Wind
[/sblock]

[sblock=map]
path09.png

[/sblock]

nerdytenor

First Post
Tander feels the cold grip of death reaching up from all around. The darkness seems to be pulling him down, down into the deep... No. He would not fall to these dark spirits. Especially when his ragtag crew of companions might need him.

Tander holds his crossbow a little closer for comfort, and steadies himself (OOC: Second wind, made save (crit! does that mean I can spend a surge? ;))).

"Hey - look at that frost! One of them is over there!" Tander points with his crossbow to the north (OOC in the direction of N2)

[sblock=Tander Stat Block]
Tander Oaksmith, Human Cleric 2
Passive Perception 15, Passive Insight 20
AC 17, Fort 14, Reflex 15, Will 19
Resist 5 poison
HP 10/29, Bloodied 14, Surge Value 7, Surges 7/8
Speed 5, Initiative +7
Action Points: 0

Current Effects
+5 to healing powers
2nd wind defenses

Encounter Resources
Spiteful Glamor
USED Divine Glow
USED Healing Word One
USED Healing Word Two
USED Channel Divinity (Turn Undead or Divine Fortune)
USED Second Wind
USED Use Action Point

Daily Resources
USED Beacon of Hope
Cure Light Wounds
[/sblock]

Dunamin

First Post
KenHood said:
Palindrome kills Arnest
“Wait, what? Business before pleasure, dammit!”

"Woe, it's right next to you!" Tander shouts, pointing out a puff of smoke to the west of the fighter. Tander steps to the east (OOC shift), and send a blast of energy forth, but the divine blast catches nothing but air.
“Gah!”

Startled by the bright ray that streaks past just inches from his shoulder, Woe ducks and raises his shield.

“Watch the hair! And everything else, too!”

The two half orcs look at Happy fearfully, then at each other. "Right," snaps Goldtusk. "You get outta here. I got da boss." He runs to Arnest's fallen form, avoiding Happy, scoops up the remains easily, and runs flat out southward through a break in the trees. The other half orc runs ahead, outpacing Goldtusk. They are quickly out of sight, though you can hear their crashing footfalls still.
“Holy milk-dispensers*, our cannon fodder is getting away! I’ll be right back after... talking some sense into them. We can always come back to play with these vanish-orbs later, fellas.”

Woe breaks off from the unsatisfying hit-and-run games with the few remaining motes, and turns to pursue Goldtusk. As is quickly becoming the norm, he retains enough breath to shout a few taunts along the way and draw the attention of his quarry.

“Hey! Hey Tusk-Job, where’re you going with Prince Payday? Aww, don’t be scared by a few lively ghosts stories, we’ll protect you!”

He speeds along the path taken by the half-orc and hunts it down relentlessly. With a daring howl Woe leaps in to cut off its escape and delivers a fierce lunge to discourage Goldtusk from fleeing further.

[sblock=Actions]Woe points out any motes he may have spotted with a Perception 16 check. Then he moves and charges Goldtusk, spending an action point for another move if need be.

He hits AC 17, dealing 13 damage and marking. This does not include the combat advantage bonus Woe gets because Goldtusk just to took a run action.

Woe Chinua - Human Fighter 2
Passive Perception 12, Passive Insight 12
AC 20, Fort 19, Reflex 17, Will 14
HP 25/40, Bloodied 20, Surge Value 10, Surges 9/11
Speed 5, Initiative +3
Action Points: 1, Second Wind
Powers: Cleave, Crushing Surge, Tide of Iron; Pass Forward; Spear of Myrdroon's Shard;
Steel Serpent Strike; Comeback Strike, Inspiring Word; Spear of Myrdroon's Shard
[/sblock]

* Curse you, forum censorship!

Last edited:

KenHood

First Post
Happy transforms back into an orange ball of flame, looks at Palindrome, and shrugs. "So...I guess I need to move over there?"
[Minor Action: Sustain Flaming Sphere. Move Action: Flaming Sphere from S7 to O3.]

Still lying on the ground, Palindrome drops a blast of flame near the location chosen by Tander. [Standard Action: Scorching Burst on O3. Fire Damage (1d6+4=9), on N2.] Attack Roll v. Reflex Results*, by Square

"Could someone please pick me up off the ***** sod or ***** heal me or some other sort of helpful ***** like that? I'm doing a lot of ***** stuff at the same time."

*For those of you interested in probability, check out the ridiculous distribution of results on those rolls. That brings Palindrome up to 19 Natural 1's, I believe.

Atriden

First Post
Atreus grabs a healing potion dangling from his belt and drinks it with haste before moving after the half-orcs with both his dagger and sling. " let's get the green skins and live to fight these dark fiends another day! "

[sblock=Actions]
Move: Moves as close as he can towards the runnings half-orcs without trying to avoid the motes as he last saw them. ( Path: N8, O9, P10-S10 )
Standard: He attacks the half-orc not carrying Arnest, with his sling or his magical dagger from his new position, which ever has the better attack bonus for the attack he will use sly flourish. If it is still out of reach, he moves closer to the half-orcs but not too close. And Covaithe, would you mind rolling for me, I have some problems with invisble castle.
Minor: Drinks a healing potion, regains 10hp and spends a healing surge
Saveing Throw: Could you roll this one as well ? Thanks :D
[/sblock]

Remove ads